Eagle SGX/Rigger Tech 101

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Ian,

I will leave the rudder blade alone.

It is being repaired / repainted at the moment for Canberra. I doubt it will be ready for the 26th Jan. race at the SIRC.

Tim.

Ian,

Don't rush on my part - I have other boats to play with ;D Going to do some more work on the 21 rigger tonight. Looking light ;D

Thanks again for doing the adaptor for me!

Tim.

Ian,

"what goes around, comes around" If there is anything I can do for you, just ask.

Tim.

P.S there are some things I just don't do :p

On the subject of rear sponson/strut configuration, one idea I came up with a few years ago before I saw a single rear sponson was to curve the flex off to the left and have the strut coming out of the back of the left rear sponson. ie no external stuffing tube, it is contained within the left sponson.

This would give a boat with the fairly standard two sponson configuration, but without the aerodynamic and hydrodynamic drag of the stuffing tube etc, and the 'shading' of the prop effect that allows the launching of big props. Of course such a design only really suits narrow boats with sponsons under the tub like Mike P and Hammer's designs.

I never had the opportunity to try it tho, so it might be complete rubbish! ;D

Ian.
One of these days I would like to try the rear sponsons tucked under the hull with a slight vee shape to them and the stuffing tube hidden between them. The idea would be like a surface drive vee hull.

-MikeP

ive been wanting to try the vee idea as well..... cant figure out a good way to construct one.

Concept sounds valid to me.

Could you cut out a set using solid balsa and attach them with double sided tape?

That should get you a couple test run's anyhow till you got the shape correct and go from there.

Gene ;D

Concept sounds valid to me.

Could you cut out a set using solid balsa and attach them with double sided tape?

That should get you a couple test run's anyhow till you got the shape correct and go from there.

Gene ;D
I use outdoor carpet tape on my 3.5 rear sponsons.

I just got my OS .21 from Hammer nice motor, It looks like I need to make a concept rigger out of it. I think some weight could be saved on .12 rigger with the slight vee bottom a surface drive and no strut. Like the Wildthing mono is set up.

-MikeP

Mike,

The problem with that sort of setup is you cant adjust the strut. You will then need to be able to modify your props to acheive the lift characteristics required for the hull, which compromises your potential prop selection. On the other hand if you have a proven design where you dont need to adjust the strut, then this should work. I have considered doing this with my next mono, as I am happy with the current strut position and dont adjust it.

Has anyone worked out an optimium distance back from these center type sponson that the prop should be placed at? The current trend in monos seems to be moving the prop further back from the transom.

Ian.

Hey Gene, Nice promotion.......hehehe...... Global Moderator.

poor Tom no internet for 20 days.....id go nuts.

~ James

Hi James,

Yeah, I am just helpin out for a little while, And your right he is gonna go BONKERS!!!!! :eek:

Gene ;D

Latest posts

Back