Eagle SGX/Rigger Tech 101

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Hey Dudes,

These pics are Andy,s SGX and 126 mph monster!!!

Question is does enclosing the stuffing tube create more drag ? Or is it another lifting surface ? Seems to me that just the stuffing tube is less drag?

Comments?

Re:Eagle SGX

Here is another shot:

Whoa, just noticed the Moderator title, I am just helping out Grim till Tom gets his ISP changed over ;)

the center sponson does some intresting stuff.... i tried it a couple times..... it REALLY unload the prop a lot.... you can turn real big props with it... drag..... well they used to do it simmilar to that with hard shafts years ago..... i dont think it is more drag than rear sponsons would be if set a little deep. so I guess a little drag but not too bad

;D Anders, Nice hull, We seem to have more than one from Andy Ha,Ha

Gene ;D

Hey Tom,

Thats a good question, rear sponsons, or no rear sponsons ???

Good? Bad? and Why?

BTW: I am not picking apart the SGX, just using it as an example for discussion ;)

Thanks for the great picture Anders,

Any good explanations for swapping four small carbon tubes for the two big ones?????

But for the rest this boat does not seem to have much special stuff to it ;D

Tom van den Brink

He is looking for less drag. :-X

I explained to him the if he put tapes between them so the air don`t come in between it will generate even less drag,but i don`t know if he have done that yeat. 8)

Anders

In that case most of the saw boats i've seen have the engine sticking out from the tub with no cowling around them isn't very aerodynamic either.......

Now a cowl would take away air to the carb and decrease power but would just a front piece of cowl clear up the air a bit anders?

Thanks for the explanation

Tom v.d Brink

I'm currently building a small saw boat for my 45 so i'm interested in how to improve it in anyway :D

I have seen other pics of that boat, but fully set up. I don't know where I saw them, and it was not listed as Andy's boat. I thought he was claiming his speeds were being set with production boats? :eek: ???

Ian.

Gene,

I think the idea of enclosing the strut in a sponson like that was to reduce drag by combining the rear sponson with the strut. I think original idea was to replace the other rear sponsons, ie just have one rear sponson that also enclosed the strut. I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that there were some SG's made with the centre sponson only, but there was some problems so they put the other sponsons back on.

Ian.

Ian the link to Andy's site on my third post is where I got the pics,

Gene ;D

Yeah that thought came to me also, using just the center sponson with out the rears, As far as production boats vs. record boats dont know ???

Here is a shot of the record boat:

Gene,

Are you sure that is a record boat? Looking at the site that is his World Champs winning 45 hydro.

Other pics I have seen of his SAW boats just had the single centre sponson. And they did at least look to be production boats, even if they did have 84's in the 45 size boat! ;D

Ian.

Hmmmmm... hey you are right!!!!

I will dig some more, There is a vid of it runnin somewhere too!!!!

Gene ;D

Back