Dumbest things!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't beat the ca on privates, but i and can be stupid. was using the thin ca with needle tip, i always clear the tip by squeezing the bottle, you can hear the hiss when it's clear. well i could'nt hear it this day, so i put it close to my ear and squeezed. needless to say i had ca dropplets in and around the ear. took awhile to pick those out of my ear.

tim

Its kinda crazy when you think about it...all the ways there are to get hurt in this hobby..prop strikes, getting hit by a model boat, falling off the drivers stand, falling into the water, drowning, etc...and then look at how many of us are nearly done in (myself included) by the very thing we use to BUILD out model boats with...CA! :rolleyes: :D :D

Well I think we've all done some things that are not "terribly brilliant".

A few of mine are;

Putting a piston in backwards and wondering why the motor won't run right!

Putting multiple models on a radio and then picking the wrong model on a transmitter and trying to steer with the gimbles going backasswards (I'm sure I'm not the only one with that happening)

Connecting the water line to the mixture control and cursing when the motor won't start

Epoxying my clamps to my project and having to grind them away

The latest is I got a Futaba 3EGX radio with a 3rd channel mixture knob on the far right. Trying to tune in the motor I reached across and slowly started turning it clockwise on the back straight. Boat still wasn't picking up so as I rounded the corner I turned it more. Boat went 8" straight into the bank. Looked down and realized I was turning the rudder servo throw adjustment duhhhhhhh.

The one that I really like wasn't mine but I bought a rigger from a guy on IW and when I received it and looked inside, both servos were buried about 1/4" deep in epoxy. They were epoxied right to the hull!!!!!!!!!!

The CA ones are really good though (mine weren't anywhere near that).

Now lets see, I love this hobby, I love this hobby, I love this hobby, I love this hobby. There now I feel better already.

Wally

Picture your very first attempt at RC boating. You've taken a special day off for it from work and have spent every night before that working past the clock to get it in the water.

Waking up you find it is a beautiful day starting out, boat is all ready with the new 3.5SS, brand new jug of fuel and looking forward to a full day of testing with all new stuff!!!

Engine fires right up. Nice! No bad shake. Nice! Radio is still working. Nice!!!

Walking down to launch I pointed it straight out into the beautiful blue and it hit the water running. Nice!!!

I kept half throttle to just bring it around and warm up. That is when it took the snap on me.

Immediate 90 degree left turn by itself heading for the shore in the cove. I'm freaking out waving the controller around like mad and cannot figure out why my range test failed.

It's fine though, closing on five feet from the shore and still just past plane and it shouldnt be that bad. There's even a small tree with branches in the water it might hit to keep it off shore.

Wrong. Another 90 degree snap turn straight up the shore this time throttle wide open. So now it's all roostertail and no time to admire yourself on how well you've guessed the setup being so right the first time out because now it's running even farther away and still keeping it's five foot spread unbelievably steady to rockland on full sing.

The final glitch set it clear of that and headed more towards open water. Now I'm hoping it dies because of the needle or something, but nope. It kept good trim and speed until it hit the other shore in a glorious death flip with a half-gainer, motor still peaked and never backed down until the rod broke and the piston skirt eaten by the backplate. The skeg now has more bend to it than a turn fin. I got to see which style of brass inserts Dumas uses in their Sprint because of them being pulled completely out of the transom.

After the long walk back and inspecting what could have gone wrong I discovered the trusty pistol grip that I've used for my electric cars (a great radio test bed because of the electrics) lost it's battery tray from its contacts due to a crack in the carrier.

I threw it farther than a Frisbee and bought a new radio withOUT that same cheap*** tray.

I knew they caused problems. I cracked them before putting batteries in and caught it.

That was my biggest bonehead move to date, and what a first date it was.

blink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture your very first attempt at RC boating. You've taken a special day off for it from work and have spent every night before that working past the clock to get it in the water.

Waking up you find it is a beautiful day starting out, boat is all ready with the new 3.5SS, brand new jug of fuel and looking forward to a full day of testing with all new stuff!!!

Engine fires right up. Nice! No bad shake. Nice! Radio is still working. Nice!!!

Walking down to launch I pointed it straight out into the beautiful blue and it hit the water running. Nice!!!

I kept half throttle to just bring it around and warm up. That is when it took the snap on me.

Immediate 90 degree left turn by itself heading for the shore in the cove. I'm freaking out waving the controller around like mad and cannot figure out why my range test failed.

It's fine though, closing on five feet from the shore and still just past plane and it shouldnt be that bad. There's even a small tree with branches in the water it might hit to keep it off shore.

Wrong. Another 90 degree snap turn straight up the shore this time throttle wide open. So now it's all roostertail and no time to admire yourself on how well you've guessed the setup being so right the first time out because now it's running even farther away and still keeping it's five foot spread to rockland on full sing.

The final glitch set it clear of that and headed more towards open water. Now I'm hoping it dies because of the needle or something, but nope. It kept good trim and speed until it hit the other shore in a glorious death flip with a half-gainer, motor still peaked and never backed down until the rod broke and the piston skirt eaten by the backplate. The skeg now has more bend to it than a turn fin. I got to see which style of brass inserts Dumas uses in their Sprint because of them being pulled completely out of the transom.

After the long walk back and inspecting what could have gone wrong I discovered the trusty pistol grip that I've used for my electric cars (a great radio test bed because of the electrics) lost it's battery tray from its contacts due to a crack in the carrier.

I threw it farther than a Frisbee and bought a new radio withOUT that same cheap*** tray. I knew they caused problems. I cracked them before putting batteries in and caught it.

My new 3PDF hasn't let me down and I will never forget that first try.
i have a story of stupidity i feel it is kinda time for me to share..well 2 of them ...it does not involve model boats but instead planes..

i learned at a young age about thin ca and its ability to creep up on you like it does and stick you to everything it touches..lol, i had my first plane i was assembling and like the instructions said.."wick thin ca into the gap and apply accelerator" ..well when i ddi this i forgot that there was another side i was holding and really didnt understand how easy that stuff flows..well anyhow it went through the wing joiner and and laid on my hand whaich i didnt realize it was there and hit it with the accelerator and watching it start to smoke my hand started buring like hell and my plane was stuck to my hand, when i ripped it away i had balsa and ca glue and missing skin ..had no clue about the debonder i seen at the hobby shop ..but learned very quickly what it was..lol , now the second "good" story involves a certian 2 time us-1 hydro champ , that makes blackbird hydros..no names here..lol , anyhow we go to the hobby shop and he proceeds to talke me into building a slot car to race with him that winter, well after about 150.00 usd laid down for the car , motor, and all parts to build it and race for a couple laps , we head to my shop to build this creature..after about a hour or so we had it tweaked, motor broken in and all work done but the body mounting, then my unnamed buddy here...decided that we forgot to glue the magnets in, i guess that since that needs to be done in the event of a crash , and i crash alot with them..we better do this, i hand chris the thin ca ..oops i said his name..lol and the tip being clogged well he is squeezing the life outta this thing..and just as i say hey let me stick this pin in it to clear it ..it blew out the cloggage and installed about 1/2 bottle ca into the motor , axle , tires and basicly covered the car in a nice coat of glue..then he started turning it over by hand while im scrambling for the debonder or carb spray or something to stop the horror we were witnessing..as he is turning it it just got harder and harder to turn and then finally come to a glued together hulk..lol , wasnt funny at the time but a hell of a funny story now and i think it sealed him and my friendship forever, he is a good friend and memories like this will last forever..and the "sorry dude" i hear afterwards..good stuff

tk

This isn't much.

some 15 years ago when I discovered R/C boats. I built a Dumas 55 Scarab with a OS 81 all the Dumas hard wear and bad radio box. well I bet I spent a month building this thing, then the day came to put it in the water. new gallon of fuel radio,glow igniter. Started the boat and it sounded great I grabbed this heavy boat and walked about 4 foot from the bank I was maybe up to me knees. I gave the boat a good toss and opened the throttle wide open. as soon as the boat hit the water it came right back to me and I didn't know which way to run still holding at WOT. well it it the bank in reverse and cost me a prop. and I still haven't learned how to let off of the trigger. But I did learn which way the motor is suppose to turn LOL.

And I still have this boat.

Just thought of another one...not even close to some that ive read, but still knida funny......after the bleeding stopped! I Took 3 of my grandaughters to a lake in the middle of town to run my two 20 sized nitro airboats. Being the over protective G-father that i am, I went down the list of safety issues involved with running an R/C airboat especially regarding the prop...(you know where this is going, im sure)so after the safety lecture, i fired up one of the boats for the kids to run...it sounded just a tick on the fat side. sooo i reached over to lean er out and BBBRRRRPPPP! YEP! That was my fingers stoppin a nylon Top Flight prop (you KNOW how sharp they are)at almost full throttle!Great way to introduce my G-kids to the wonderful world of R/C modeling! Thank God for my wife Judy, some paper towels and masking tape as we all did spend the rest of the day runnin R/C air boats and havin fun...wont even go into how bad my fingers hurt the next day as with a prop strike its not just about the cuts, its about the impact bruising that goes with those cuts!! FUN FUN FUN :rolleyes: :blink: :D :D !

My last one from my airplane days. :eek: Flying control line and had trouble starting a Stallion 35. Finally got it running, the plane was flying so fast in circles I got dizzy and collapsed. :blink: It took a 90 degree turn and was flying straight for me on the ground. :eek: I raised my arm and it hit my heavy winter coat and tore the sleeve to shreds. Dodged a bullet that time. :p :p

My last one from my airplane days. :eek: Flying control line and had trouble starting a Stallion 35. Finally got it running, the plane was flying so fast in circles I got dizzy and collapsed. :blink: It took a 90 degree turn and was flying straight for me on the ground. :eek: I raised my arm and it hit my heavy winter coat and tore the sleeve to shreds. Dodged a bullet that time. :p :p
UKIE? Okay, here we go...dont know how i did it but managed to wrap a Ringmaster with 52 foot lines around me starting at the waist down to my ankles till the plane stopped! Thank God i had jeans on! i looked like an ever lovin mummy from the waist down..took my

buddies a half hour to untangle the steel lines from around me!. Watched my Fox .35 fly clean off my Flight Streak..no CG the airplane dont FLY! Minor damage....My buddie and i were flyin a little 1/2A combat with a Baby Flight Streak and a Combat Kitten, planes got tangled up cut the lines and flew away in a rather strange fashion...found em 3 blocks from where we were flyin em and they didnt even eat each other up! :D My buddy was holding a P-40, he thought i signaled him to release, i DIDNT...had the handle upside down...end of P-40! Cmon Ray, lets hear somemore Ukie stuff!! :) Can you imagine how many guys are asking...whats a Ukie?? **** WERE GETTIN OLD! :rolleyes: :p :D

UKIE? Okay, here we go...dont know how i did it but managed to wrap a Ringmaster with 52 foot lines around me starting at the waist down to my ankles till the plane stopped! Thank God i had jeans on! i looked like an ever lovin mummy from the waist down..took my

buddies a half hour to untangle the steel lines from around me!. Watched my Fox .35 fly clean off my Flight Streak..no CG the airplane dont FLY! Minor damage....My buddie and i were flyin a little 1/2A combat with a Baby Flight Streak and a Combat Kitten, planes got tangled up cut the lines and flew away in a rather strange fashion...found em 3 blocks from where we were flyin em and they didnt even eat each other up! :D My buddy was holding a P-40, he thought i signaled him to release, i DIDNT...had the handle upside down...end of P-40! Cmon Ray, lets hear somemore Ukie stuff!! :) Can you imagine how many guys are asking...whats a Ukie?? **** WERE GETTIN OLD! :rolleyes: :p :D
Not kidding getting old, my mishap was 40 + years ago. ;)

52 ft lines on a Fox 35 ???????? Dude read the instructions !!!!!!! I had a few beers once and tried to flie a Ringmaster with a KB Sport 40 Marine with a tuned pipe on it (still have it ) . That was interesting after I fell tpo the ground with dizzyness and the plane augered in !!!! I still have a big 60 Merco Stunt plane built by Big Jim Greenaway . I've never flown it .

52 ft lines on a Fox 35 ???????? Dude read the instructions !!!!!!! I had a few beers once and tried to flie a Ringmaster with a KB Sport 40 Marine with a tuned pipe on it (still have it ) . That was interesting after I fell tpo the ground with dizzyness and the plane augered in !!!! I still have a big 60 Merco Stunt plane built by Big Jim Greenaway . I've never flown it .
52 ft lines was standard length for a .35 stunt back in the day....then they went to 60+ ft...i think even 1/2A Ukies were flyin on 30-35ft lines when i was kinda gettin out of it...the neat thing to do was fly a 1/2A on 25ft lines, then go fly a .35 stunt on 52 ft lines..man that plane felt like it was WAY out there and you were in slow motion! :D HEY! Did you get the new twin wet?? Hope it went good!

My last and best one-

(NO where near the C/A ones btw)

Telling Rick I was gonna re-build the Atlas :blink:

Andy

He punked out Bill, I even offered free fuel to see that new twin run :rolleyes:

Something about building a stand and all- B)

Give EM HELL Foley B)

Andy

Always store the CA glue in the fridge. Took almost new big bottle out of the fridge and whet out to the hot garage with it and didn't use it for several hours and

was holding two pieces together grabbed the bottle and removed the cap with my teeth. That was not good it shot roughly a 1/2 oz under pressure in ny mouth almost

couldn't breath for freekin' out as it kept glueing my tongue and throat. Several weeks past before I could no longer feel it on my teeth.

Another CA story.. About 12 years ago I was bonding the outside plate to the transom on a rigger. I was using a 1 lb bottle of thin CA and the cap was clogged. Instead of fixing the nozzel I decided to remove the cap. I placed the bottle on the workbench while I was using the 10 finger clamping system. When I moved out of the chair the 1 lb fell in my lap and had just about emptied before I could move. My pants started smoking and I started screaming, I removed my pants with my underware attached to them fast as I could. I was at my parents house when this happen and my mom was holding a Christan Womens meeting at the time. Yep you got it, I am standing in the garage naked with 10 ladys looking at me wondering what the hell just happen. I told them briefly what had happen and I tought everything was fine....

One week later I noticed that my private parts was turning a dark purpleish color. So I decided to go to the doctor. When I went to check in the lady asked me what was the purpose for my visit. I explaned that I just need to see Dr Jackson. She kept on asking me the purpose of my visit. After the third time, I told loudly that my DI-K is turning purple. Nothing but complete silence occured in the whole office building and everone was looking at my special place. Finally Dr. Jackson called me back, already aware of my problem. I dropped my pants and he looked at it for a few seconds and said G.D. Kentley I have never seen anything like this in my 25 years of practicing medicine. He asked me if it was painful I told him no. He told me to sit down and he would be back in a few mins. He came back with 5 other doctors. They each took a look and shaking there heads. They were asking many questions about my sex and personal life. I then told them about what occured one week earler with the CA. The light bulb finally went off. I was diagnosed with a Vapor Burn. The gave a perscription for a cream and several weeks later my buddy was back to normal. What an experiance this was!! :D
I was going to tell about CA gluing my blue jeans to my leg but.............................. I Can't Stop Laughing!!! :p :p :p

THIS IS UNTOPABLE I DO BELIEVE!!

air boat, that reminds me of my swampbuggy. painted blade tips white, pretty white circle to see. went to launch the thing, i sat it in the water. this is when the roller came in rocked the boat right into my hand. ever see the shredded plane episode of myth busters? 11 slices in the meaty part just below the thumb. my hand now had gills :eek: **** right it hurt, had to sit down and wonder for awhile. took a breath and launched it again, blood and all.

tim

we were testing at fox island park where our race site was located in ft wayne, in. one of the club members launched a 20 mono, went around buoys 1-2-3 and it just went full speed like never before. (no radio of course). it screams down to the end, beaches itself and lands on shore just screaming, but dont blow. they go running down there and just as they are a few feet away, this little kid runs down there and relaunches the wide open boat, away it goes, full lenghth of the pond out the other end, lands in the weeds still screaming, here comes the family running to the other end to grab the boat.finally dies, out of fuel.

we will keep the family :ph34r: name out of it here, but those in the know will be l.t.a.o.!!

one of the best "tricks" we have ever seen!! :p

we laugh about it often.!!

dan

Many years go I was flying 1/2A control line plane in the cow pasture. I slipped on a cow patty and dropped the handle, the plane gained about 50 feet of altitude and keep going around with the lines and handle straight out. We ran for about a mile and half through fields and over fences until it ran out of fuel.

Bob

I almost forgot about this one.

I had bought some old air planes about 6 years ago and wanted to clean up the motors they were all gummed up you know what I'm talking about. So I heard about putting them in crock pot with antifreeze and letting them simmer. Well I didn't have an old crock pot to use so I figured that I'd put them in a pot and place them on the stove and keep a close eye on them.

So in the pot the motor goes, I but it on Med Flame and I was going to turn it down after it got warm.

well I got involved with other things and about an hour latter I could smell something. I took a few seconds to realize that it was the antifreeze. I ran up from the basement to find FLAMES going to the 9 foot ceiling. I grabbed the pot and ran out side and let it burn its self out. it took almost 1 hours to get the smoke out of the house and almost a month to get reed of the smell. I was lucky there was no damage and the wife didn't talk to me for almost a week. man it was peacefully.

I Truly didn't know that antifreeze would catch on fire...

My son when he was about 8 or 9 years old ( he's 34 now ) decided to repair his leaking squirt gun with my CA even though he had strict instructions to stay out of the shop he used a whole bottle got it all over the squirt gun and I have no idea but he didn't get any on him I found out and was pissed but also thankful because I know it would have been my fault if his mom found out and he had glued his hands or something else.

Back