Droid Does Sport 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tampa1330

This is a Phil Thomas SSP21. Its set up with a 21 CMB Racing Special Speed master Hardware, a low drag strut custom made by me, Carbon Fiber R-Box, MACS 3.5 high nitro pipe, CMDi 1445 cut 42mm and 3.2 cup, grim racer fin and a 2.4 Ghz elecs. It's been tested but I'm just now adding a paint scheme. I just picked up one of those droid cell phones and I thought it would make for a great paint scheme. Lemme know what you guys think................

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01842.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool looking paint job, check back after you have it all rigged up with the motor and hardware rtr.

Yeah, once I have it rigged RTR it'll make a little more sense. The windhseild will be mirror crome vinyl and the retangular holes in the side are aluminum louver vents to cool the exhaust. On one of my other sport hydros I made a fuel cooler outta some brass tubin sodered together and it really did seem to help a lot with the hot summer days here in florida. I went all out on this one, I made a fuel cooler outta a block of aluminum with cooling fins. If anything it looks cool, lol. I'll post more pics and a vid later on. Now I just have to sand it one last time and one more coat of clear should give it that glass/mirror shine.

That thing looks wild!!!! I like it! How did you decide on the graphics and layout? Did you use software to lay it out? It looks very professional! Where did you get all the graphics?

Cheers

Kevin

That thing looks wild!!!! I like it! How did you decide on the graphics and layout? Did you use software to lay it out? It looks very professional! Where did you get all the graphics?

Cheers

Kevin

I used AutoCAD software to design the graphics and a vinyl cutter to cut the stencils. As far as deciding what to do I just researched all the parts used on the boat and the droid does logo. Then just put it all together in CAD. With CAD I can take a picture of the boat and import the photo then draw my graphics right on top of the hull. It seemed to work pretty good. This was a first for me so it's a learning experience. It looks real cool with the CMB red head engine that kinda matched the paint scheme. I'll post more once it's RTR. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Originally this was set up as a rear r-box and a front fuel tank. after testing other sport hydros I've seen that sport hydros work best with a front r-box and rear fuel tank, i.e. phils set up sheet. I've changed the design to a front r-box with duel 3.5oz fuel tanks mounted inside the sponsons. kinda like some of the the 1/8 scale hydros I've seen. That keeps the variable weight as close to the CG as possible. I also have the option of adding a 1oz hopper tank, on either side of the r-box, if neccessary. I am using a waterproof servo for steering, so I only need an r-box big enough for my receiver and a hitec digital mini for throttle. This set up makes for a really clean design and it should produce consistant performance. most of the sport hydros I've run with a front fuel tank seem to run better as the fuel runs out, hence the front becomes lighter. With the varible weight set right on top of the CG this should produce more consistant performance. I'll get some pics up ASAP. I'm open to feedback. Lemme know what you guys think.

Pretty slick looking
Thanks for the feedback. It's movin along kinda slow right now. I only get about 30 min a day to work on it. been working two jobs to make ends meet. Hopefully I'll get some free time next weekend to knock out the fuel tanks and r-box. Then one last sanding and a final coat of clear and it's time to hit the water. Will keep you guys posted.

Thats awesome, you should start making graphics and selling them on IW !!!

I am sorry to say but the Droid is no more. I bought it off RC Universe. It looked great when it arrived but the clear coat was rough so I wet sanded it. To my surprise it started flaking off and took the graphics with it. I had no option but remove the paint, all seven coats. Not something I wanted to do. A month later here's the results. I used a satin finish to be different. It's not finished because I am waiting for a few parts from Hyperformance.P1000025(2).JPG

Looks good Joe. Can't wait to race against each other!!!

Tim

It's close to being finished, only a few minor things to do before it hits the water.

The most important of which is to get rid of the 3 feet of ice that is covering the water! :lol: The boat looks great Joe. It's one of the funnest classes to race. Almost as fun as sport 40.

Larry

Latest posts

Back