Driving Infraction?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Warren

During a recent event a boat during mill time Cut 2-360`s during HOT mill time on the coarse. How would your club call this. The Current IMPBA rule book is Gray in this area. A few question on erratic driving or Left turns or Opposing traffic in General during mill time Well..... the rule book is just about as clear as Mud. :unsure:

Joe W said:
During  a recent event a boat during mill time Cut 2-360`s during HOT mill time on the coarse. How would your club call this.  The Current IMPBA rule book is Gray in this area. A few question on erratic driving or Left turns or Opposing traffic in General during mill time  Well..... the rule book is just about as clear as Mud. :unsure:
72105[/snapback]

Did this "erratic" driving infringe upon other boats right of way?? :unsure:

It went on without a warning. 1st. But No one tripped because of it. Good question if someone had to dodge it :blink: ? But kept running..

Hey Joe,

Did the boat cut buoy two and then do circles around buoy two? Was the driver

still in control of the wild boat? Need a little more information. :unsure:

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

IMPBA rules specify full course milling, NAMBA rules vary if I'm right as they have both full and half course mill time.

Look at page G-5, 3.b.2.a, Milling procedures. That is a clear as mud part. It tells you that you are supposed to be ON the course during mill time, not inside of it

OK, I may have found it. Page G-8, 2.a, "normally an infraction shall draw a one-lap penalty".

How is it then if the person continues to do this during mill time do they recieve the penalty for every lap turned inside the course or after a warning?

My understanding on this incedent that there was NO infringment with other boats all of the other boats were on the other SAW section and no buoys were cut plus this was the ONLY boat that finished the heat! The most penalty I have seen for spin outs was a lap penalty.

Well I posted to see what is considered a penalty. I have raced national events that if you oppose traffic you are Now a Lap Down. It does not matter if someone dodged you or Not. Left turn, Right Turn drew the same penalty. All of this was outside of the buoys and Opens the questions for erratic driving. I would like to know for the furture what clubs consider a penalty if someone was to pull out a rule book. :rolleyes:

Bill we are trying to address the Gray area of the Rule book. If it was clear there would be no Question. As for the SGRA......... you race an Event that is Clearly stated If you Cause an infraction or Foul you are Off the course. the format allows several boats to race Clean & Fast We are only trying to clear this for the future @ National events & local racing. You know that as of now it sometime depends where you are racing.. FL, IN, or other states as to what they believe... is what is called. :unsure: I Know that the CD will have the last say.... But he is Not always correct..... :blink: This is Not about a paticular race. But it does bring up the Question.....??????? Also is there a different set of rules for Special Events that is held at an IMBPA Event during the Local Race.

Another part that covers the situation. Page B-23, part 3., Bouy infractions, sub-part b.

We could go through the rulebook and find Safety infractions that occur at every race. Example, some sites don't have an impound area for radios. Frequency flags as approved by the FCC are mandatory at all times to be displayed on the transmitters. When was the last time most of us have put the flags on our TX's? Got your name and address on your TX? Mine have my name and IMPBA number but not my address. Toss me out! :eek:

What do you do to the host club that doesn't have a fire extinguisher in the pits or a first-aid kit handy? Shut down the race? Not me, buddy!

Maybe the TX flag thing is in there to make the FCC happy. Throw a lap penalty on everyone that doesn't have the flag and put them all a lap down or a point penalty. Yeah, that would get your butt dragged into the woods.

We had a driver at a race that couldn't drive in a straight line if his life depended on it. He hit just about everything on the water including boats and the punk walked away later that day with a trophy. My wife crashed avoiding this jerk. I bitched to the CD about it and he blew me off saying that "B" tunnel is a beginners class and that things like this should be expected. OK, "B" tunnel drivers in here, feel free to have a bashfest, this CD said that it was OK!

If he intentionally drove in circles then I would give 1 lap for each.

If it was a spin out, which is uncontrolled, and he re-enters the driving lanes safely then no foul. If during his correction crosses 3 lanes or more of oncoming traffic then a lap. If he takes out another boat while correcting, DQ.

The rule book is basicaly clear, stay in your lane or get a lap.

Latest posts

Back