Drilling the stinger on a AB Parabolic pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember reading on here, that some of you had drilled out, to a larger size, the internal stinger on the Andy Brown 45 Parabolic pipes to relive the back pressure.

I have a pipe theat I think could use this done to it.

So, what size is recommended?

Thanks

Mine has the removeable insert, on my rigger I'm at .380"
cool.gif

there was two different stinger sizes on that pipe.. if my memory serves me right on the bigger size you could go to .413 I THINK.. not 100% sure.

maybe some else can chime in.

but i do know there is two different size stingers on that pipe..

chris

there was two different stinger sizes on that pipe.. if my memory serves me right on the bigger size you could go to .413 I THINK.. not 100% sure.

maybe some else can chime in.

but i do know there is two different size stingers on that pipe..

chris

Chris is exactly correct. The original versions came with a smaller stinger ID, I have one of those. The later versions came with a larger ID and I have a couple of them also. Andy told me to drill out the stinger, regardless of version, to just a tick smaller than the size of the stinger ID. So whatever one you have, get the closest bit to the ID and drill out the internal bafle without taking any of the stinger away. Make real sure you flush that pipe out well from both ends to get all of the shavings out. They tend to stick in the corners of the internal baffle if you do not flush it very well with a lot of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine were drilled at .342" and this was enough to relieve the high pressure back to the tank. Do not try to drill this hole all at once. Use bits that will cut about .030 at a time.

I had a early version i drilled it out to .415 then i made a bushing to take it back to .375 which i also drill tru the inner cone.Worked great on a CMB Cam

Your not drilling the stinger you are drilling the tiny hole in the cone thats inside. My sport 40 has it drilled the same size as the stinger..DONT USE A DRILL put a pair of vise grips on the bit and do it by hand!!!!!

Your not drilling the stinger you are drilling the tiny hole in the cone thats inside. My sport 40 has it drilled the same size as the stinger..DONT USE A DRILL put a pair of vise grips on the bit and do it by hand!!!!!

What you are actually drilling is the internal muffler baffle welded to the inside of the pipe. This baffle is what makes it a muffled pipe. It has a center hole in the middle of the baffle that is being drilled out.

The theory is the hotter it gets in the summer the more the pipe will trap heat.When its cool out you can run the small stinger.But when it gets real hot out the motor needs to let some of the extra heat out.Thats why i had a bushing to adjust the stinger as needed.Really simple stuff! :p

Besides the 45 pipe, do you also have to drill the stinger on the parabolic 84 pipe?

Back