Drawing up "accurate" plans... need some info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Hello everyone,

I am a CAD designer and engineer in western Wisconsin and a few years ago I purchased a set of plans from Roger Newton of Newton Marine. Awsome guy, great attention to detail, very helpful... so I don't want anyone to think that is where I am going with this. Anyway, I recently pulled the plans and started drawing them up in Solidworks 2k5. What I found was kind of disappointing... nothing really fit "well". So now I am modifying the original plans to make a set of prints that truely can be cut out and assembled. The idea is to minimize on the sanding and massaging of pieces for a good fit. Or better yet to be able to send the files to someone with a CNC router table and have them all cut out. The plans tranfer over relatively easily and it saves a lot of frustration down the road. What I am offering to those willing to assist me in my quest for good working drawings is a free copy of the final drawings. Here is what I have so far... I present the "Digital" Miss Budweiser 2001.

hydroplane_assembly.jpg

Oh, and Roger, if you are around... I will be sending you a set also, if nothing else so you can see what changes I made. It is the least I can do for someone as helpful as you have been.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how the plans are Roger has a lot of plan sets and I have used several.

many of the slots for the stringers will not be drawn correcty I usually have to draw the bulk heads out agian using a centerline and redo the bulkheads so it all lines up.

Hi Phil,

I was curious about that too. I rearanged the stringer locations on the bulkheads so that they do not have compound curves. Basically the stringer slots are all inline with one another. Is that what you mean? What will this do for the overall curve of the hull? Also did you have to move the sponson shear slots? Things are progressing rather nicely on the drawings. I mirrored the starboard side just to get a feel and rough idea of the shape I am going for here. Again the goal is to have a set of plans that fit tightly enough that no jig is required. Thanks for your interest and help.

Sean

boatweb.jpg

[sean, what you have done looks great would love a set when done. I would like to say that Roger is great and very busy in his life but, remember he was a firefighter and only had high school drafting and did a service for everyone. Also I would love to see more plans done like you are doing I think it is time past time someone puts us into the modern age. Like I said before put me down for a set.

Sean said:
Hi Phil,
    I was curious about that too.  I rearanged the stringer locations on the bulkheads so that they do not have compound curves.  Basically the stringer slots are all inline with one another.  Is that what you mean?  What will this do for the overall curve of the hull?  Also did you have to move  the sponson shear slots?  Things are progressing rather nicely on the drawings.  I mirrored the starboard side just to get a feel and rough idea of the shape I am going for here.  Again the goal is to have a set of plans that fit tightly enough that no jig is required.  Thanks for your interest and help.

Sean

104567[/snapback]

Looks good. You will still need a jig. I cut my kits from a CNC router. Everything lines up perfectly, but the wood always has a bow to it.

Good luck!

Brian

Sean said:
Hello everyone,
    I am a CAD designer and engineer in western Wisconsin and a few years ago I purchased a set of plans from Roger Newton of Newton Marine.  Awsome guy, great attention to detail, very helpful...  so I don't want anyone to think that is where I am going with this.  Anyway, I recently pulled the plans and started drawing them up in Solidworks 2k5.  What I found was kind of disappointing... nothing really fit "well".  So now I am modifying the original plans to make a set of prints that truely can be cut out and assembled.  The idea is to minimize on the sanding and massaging of pieces for a good fit.  Or better yet to be able to send the files to someone with a CNC router table and have them all cut out.  The plans tranfer over relatively easily and it saves a lot of frustration down the road.  What I am offering to those willing to assist me in my quest for good working drawings is a free copy of the final drawings.  Here is what I have so far... I present the "Digital" Miss Budweiser 2001.

View attachment 4344

Oh, and Roger, if you are around... I will be sending you a set also, if nothing else so you can see what changes I made.  It is the least I can do for someone as helpful as you have been.

Sean

104320[/snapback]

Sean, if you haven't already done this, it's well worth your time talking with Peter Richards from Climate Models. He offer a laser cutting service and is very experieced plus very helpful with ideas of setting up a drawing that is efficient (cost saving) . I've been working with him for a while with laser cutting projects.

I'm a technical illustrator in my day job so it's not hard for me to trace a set of plans, but even so, I've never traced any hand-drawn plan that is dead-on accurate, there are always corrections to do. Looks like you definitley have the skill :)

I love Rogers plans. They are presented well and give you exactly what you need to cut parts to build a great masterpiece. Many people will find that things don’t fall together perfectly after cutting the parts. Welcome to the world. Many of these hulls are not designed symmetrically. Hand drafting will not be flawless (CAD layouts may not be flawless). And certainly, cutting the parts out will add variety to the assembly.

If you want a great custom set of plans do what Sean and I do. Find the original overall dimensions and profiles. Get a solid modeler CAD system. Cut surfaces, sweep curves extrude, shapes, trim, blend and combine until you have a good solid model. Then cut the sections, project the surface sheeting templates and put all this together in a nice assembly and detail layout. Nothin to it.

Or order a perfectly good set of plans from Roger – after he gets back from the race circuit.

Garry

I present the "Digital" Miss Budweiser 2001.

I mirrored the starboard side just to get a feel and rough idea of the shape I am going for here.
Just making sure you know, the T-5 is not symmetrical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean,

Nice renderings. I have heard of Solidworks, but I have never used it myself.

I have designed several RC boats using a 3D solid modeling package (KeyCreator) & used the model to set up laser patterns. If you look in the "free plans section” I designed the .21 shovel nose.

1 thing to keep in mind when laying out the patterns weather for laser, or router, is to leave "die nicks" (small spaces) in the patterns, preferably in flat areas, with the nicks going with the grain pattern of the plywood. The die nicks keep the pieces together in the original piece of wood. This makes handling the "kit" easier, & helps to ensure that pieces don't get lost. Keeping the nicks in flat areas with the grain pattern makes it easier to separate the pieces when you are ready.

I hope this helps

A note to everyone concerning my intentions here...

I do not intend to have a mass distribution of free plans. They are ultimately Roger's property, representing his own time and effort. What I am planning to do is to draw them up, model them in Solidworks, and then build it in wood. I would like, with Roger's permission, to give out a few sets of plans under the guise of "prototypes". Roger did of lot of work here and I am only tailoring things to help out novices (like myself) build their first boat. Accordingly, I would very much like to see Roger continue to get paid for his hard work and dedication. Ultimately as a show of gratitude I will give freely any copies of modified drawings to Roger to redistribute at his own discretion. At this point I am a long way away from a finished product, and did not anticipate this much interest in the subject. This borders on sketchy practice anyway, so I do not want to offend. But, I guess we can cross that bridge when we get there. Also, I don't want to put you under the impression that your assistance is for nothing. You will get something out of this...

My appologies for sounding a little too "legal" but it was brought to my attention that I might upset people if I did not clarify things. Thanks for all the responses, I will try to get to each in turn.

Sean

Interesting thing about drawing up plans for scale models. We are not the original designers. I have used Roger’s plans for the 69 Karelsen round-nose hull (#101). This is the ultimate in round nose designs.

On my plans I credit Ed Karelsen with the original design and Roger Newton for the 1/8th scale geometry. The only claim I make is to have re-drawn the hull to 1/16th scale, with changes in the geometry, for electric operation. I will not rescale the CAD model to 1/8th, to reproduce his plans. Those belong to Roger.

Garry

Sean,

I personally have no interest in a set of plans, or anything else for that matter in return of any advice I give out. Many people here have given me tons of advice, & help guide me through design ideas in order to produce plans for both the members here, & myself. I feel that helping other out with ideas, is just passing on the knowledge that I have gained. To me, if I help out & help build someone else’s knowledge, then that is enough reward. That is what is great about this hobby, the willingness of people to help. :D

Back