DOUBLE RUDDER SETUP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kacz7895

I am going to build a ezvee boat and want to put a double rudder setup on it. This is my first boat thats not rtr and i have only a couple of these. I am very new to the RC boat world any suggestions would be great

I just prefer a double rudder setup for some reason im not going race with it so i want to be able to turn left or right equally

Stick with a single rudder assembly instead of the dual rudder system it just creates extra drag and does not improve handling.
Depends totaly of what your looking for.........

It does not create more drag and you have some things that make your boat go better with that.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=403&pos=2

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=403&pos=5

Anders
How well does the boat turn left?

John, as good as right.

That is one of the resons to have 2 rudders, you always have "a rudderblade length" in the water.

Anders

If you set up your rudder assembly rigfht you can make just as good a right turn as a left with one rudder. I dont see any reason for 2 rudders.

Anders,

Thanks for the info. I just finished a scratch built gas mono that has twin rudders for the very reason we are speaking...............to turn left at speed. This year I am racing in the offshore class and the left turn seems to be everyones hangup. This will be my first attempt at twin rudders on a single engine boat. I have tried the rudder behind the prop but the boat was too sensitive on turning because of the prop wash. The twin rudder setup always worked great for left hand turns on my twin mono. but the props were counter rotating. I'm gonna be testing the twin rudder setup this spring. Then I can say for sure how good it works. I will be removing one rudder and put the radar gun on the boat to compare one rudder vs two rudders and the speed differences if any. Thanks for the heads up on your experience.

John, i can just say like this and that was that when i bought the seaduser 90 from Jerry i followd the instruction to 100% but after i tested it the first time i coulden`t get it to run as i wanted it to run.

It pulled to the side different amount in different speed and i hate that so mutch so i went home and mounted the twin rudders as i normaly run on my offshore boats and at the second test it ran perfect.

That is one good thing that the drag is on both sides of the prop.

You just need to set driveline strait and 2 rudders and all of these problem were gone.

When you use 2 rudders you don`t need the same length as one rudder.

So take the length you have on a single setup and devide that in 2 and start there.

I can reccomend you to have a fin on both sides and also have a little wider rudder blades.

I can tell you that back to back rudder testing between 1/4 inch thick and 2mm thick rudders only made 3mph in differense in speed, same length.

That i was a little supprised about.....

You would think it should done more but not.

I don`t like to have the blade behind the propwash eighter, also you need a GIGANT blade to be some in the wather also.

With a twin setup you have only 2 short stubbs, less risk to get rudder wobble also if you run thin blade :ph34r: .

Anders

Last edited by a moderator:
Anders,

Half as deep as a single rudder sounds like no extra drag unless the rudders are not parallel. My boat is almost completed. I am now working on the cowl. I will let you know the test results, but right now there is ice on the pond.

jon

i would also like like to know

From what you guys are saying is the wider the rudder the slower you will go. What about water pick ups on rudder does that slow it down even more

The width of the blade do not affect the drag as mutch as length of the rudder.

As you can see on the photos of my boats i take the water from the rooster tail behind the prop.

I can messure the length under the hull for you John also the width between the rudders will affect how mutch more rudder you will get in the turn.

I`m away from home at the moment (down under) but i wll PM you John about it.

Anders

Back