Doplar RPM Meter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

I badly need a Doppler RPM meter to measure on the water RPM's. Anyone have any ideas or a source for something that will measure high RPM like we are running at?

Last edited by a moderator:
I badly need a Doppler RPM meter to measure on the water RPM's. Anyone have any ideas or a source for something that will measure high RPM like we are running at?
the one that hyperperformance products sells is supposed to be within about 100 rpm, according to chris grim. thats the one i plan on buying soon

the one that hyperperformance products sells is supposed to be within about 100 rpm, according to chris grim. thats the one i plan on buying soon
Got a link for their website?

The tach from Hyperformance products is an "Audio Tack", Picks up sound waves. I have one and it works well. I use it on both my nitro and gas boats. ocassionally it won't pick up certain motors especially if they have a muffler but generally works well.

Not sure what you mean by "doplar rpm meter" but I'm installing an Eagle Tree data logger in my SAW boat to record speed and rpm, have a buddy that's been playing with it and it works very well. :)

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm
Hey TK,

How do you plan on installing the sensor set up? I assume that you will be using the Hall Effects RPM Sensor with 4 magnets (RPM-KIT-MAG).

Later,

Mike

The website says it is accurate within 1,000 rpms.

Not sure what you mean by "doplar rpm meter" but I'm installing an Eagle Tree data logger in my SAW boat to record speed and rpm, have a buddy that's been playing with it and it works very well. :)

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm
Hey TK,

How do you plan on installing the sensor set up? I assume that you will be using the Hall Effects RPM Sensor with 4 magnets (RPM-KIT-MAG).

Later,

Mike

Gonna bury a magnet in the flywheel, they say one works best for higher rpms. Playing around with the GPS, amazing how accurate it is, about the size of a stamp.

Gonna show me some interesting data I think... :rolleyes:

http://www.eagletree...Power/micro.htm
Hey TK,

Later,

Mike

Gonna bury a magnet in the flywheel, they say one works best for higher rpms. Playing around with the GPS, amazing how accurate it is, about the size of a stamp.

Gonna show me some interesting data I think... :rolleyes:

I have bin using the Eagle tree set up for over a year now and it works real good. Have two of them one on my 21 rigger and one on my 45 mono. The mag in the flywheel works the best. Just drill the hole a little small and press it in. The newest version of the GPS is so accurate you can over lay it on Google earth and watch the boat run the course and get RPM ,speed and eng temp in real time as you watch it. Want to try the G force module next.

Just plug it in to the lap top right at the pond. This is the 21th century you know.

David

If you have a high quality video camera the sound track is a great rpm record. Video editing programs often will show an audio trace that can be slowed down so you can see the individual noise spikes at any given point. We used this method on several Legg Lake SAW videos. It even works for electrics. Unfortunately, youtube videos aren't high enough quality.

Lohring Miller

I have used my audio tach to read rpm on several of Aaron Alberico's you tube videos on the internet as well as some gas boats running. There is a "doppler effect" whenever using these things for objects that are comming & going. This should not effect the accuracy but does require constant observation.

Jim Allen

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH Doppler,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

brings back memories.

used to work on those systems on buffs, tankers, cargo air craft and f-105's.

then taught them at keesler afb, ms.

I helped write the tech manual on the APN-218 system (doppler) later installed

on the KC-135 tankers.

used audio tachs for many years when i was flying speed.

best place to be was in the center of the circle with the pilot.

very hard to get an accurate reading when outside the

circle due to the doppler effect. (i.e. train whistle coming down the tracks at a crossing

and then going away from the crossing.)

not sure how accurate the hand gun unit is, but if it is designed correctly, it should be pretty well

spot on.

I use at this time, the rpm sensor that is built in to the radios i use. (nomadio)

accurate to 200rpm.

Carl

Latest posts

Back