Do I need a drain hole in the tub?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeters

Supporting Member
Im building a large gas inline outrigger.It does not have a drain hole in the tub. Do guys still put drain holes in the engine bay, LR bottom corner of tub? Do you run drain hole(s) OR not?
Your opinions.............

I put a drain hole in the tub, on the left side, just ahead off the radio compartment.

Joe,

I actually put three in my tubs. One in the tank area (there is a raised "bridge plate" under the engine), one in the engine area and one in the bait box. If you carefully sand or file a "scoop" leading away toward the rear, it is not likely to act as a pick up when you first toss the boat in.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Water inside the boat isn't your friend. It's added weight and, if it splashes around, it can end up in the carb and that can result in DNFs.

Thanks for all the Great advise! i will put a 3/16 hole in the left rear corner of the engine bay. Have seen alot of new builds without them.Mines now going in before its painted. THANKS GUYS!!

My rigger I made a carbon arrows transfer pipe epoxied through the rx box and each bulkhead has round all the way to the back! I also do every build now with water passages through formers straight to the rear and at the transoms I epoxy a small peice of carbon arrow and if I feel like blocking the exit I grind down and use the arrow tip for string to bow as my plug and drain after every round on the water

Attachments

• C96755B2-316D-4A18-81A6-F08C75D1D822.png
    C96755B2-316D-4A18-81A6-F08C75D1D822.png
    4 MB · Views: 69
  • 402D3402-0B1C-4581-B7FF-D8441D4700EF.png
    402D3402-0B1C-4581-B7FF-D8441D4700EF.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 0812D830-0A13-4ABE-AF3B-B64D7BC2A2AD.png
    0812D830-0A13-4ABE-AF3B-B64D7BC2A2AD.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 69
  • D10E6E11-1007-464C-862B-85762E2199B1.png
    D10E6E11-1007-464C-862B-85762E2199B1.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 69
My rigger I made a carbon arrows transfer pipe epoxied through the rx box and each bulkhead has round all the way to the back! I also do every build now with water passages through formers straight to the rear and at the transoms I epoxy a small peice of carbon arrow and if I feel like blocking the exit I grind down and use the arrow tip for string to bow as my plug and drain after every round on the water

Attachments

• D0D874D9-A9D6-4864-B34E-51DA70E96F80.png
    D0D874D9-A9D6-4864-B34E-51DA70E96F80.png
    6 MB · Views: 51
use half oval shaped pieces of ply to half cover the hole . taper and sand to blend into bottom going forward. the back edge that covers half the hole is square. this creates a kind of suction to clear the water out without it allowing water to shoot up through the hole

Great build Brian,I see you like to sand too....LOL The rigger tub drain would work but i already have water lines going down the corners. Great idea putting holes to drain back water in the sport hydro. NICE WORK!

Definitely need a drain hole of some type. We put a hole (more of a rectangle/slot than a hole) through the side of the tub instead of through the bottom. Kept the water from being injected into the hull if your boat took a bad hop.

Definitely need a drain hole of some type. We put a hole (more of a rectangle/slot than a hole) through the side of the tub instead of through the bottom. Kept the water from being injected into the hull if your boat took a bad hop.
Now thats a good idea.....I really appreciate you guys sharing your tricks. 👍

Im building a large gas inline outrigger.It does not have a drain hole in the tub. Do guys still put drain holes in the engine bay, LR bottom corner of tub? Do you run drain hole(s) OR not?
Your opinions.............
Joe, I always do. I put it on the left rear corner and put a small inverted scoop underneath so that water won't come into the tub. If anything, the scoop causes suction when submerged so it pulls the water out. I also place a wedge under the carb so that the bottom of the hull won,t dance the water and it also allows the water to run back and away from the carb. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back