Deuce Shaft breaking at collet

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorWaller

I have a vegas deuce with an octura collet and I have broken 3 shafts at the end of the collet. I have tried different octura collets and have had the same problem. I noticed the shaft tube is not lined up straight between the collet and the tube. I have tried bending the tube but no luck. Any Ideas?

I'd say thats your issue,you can cut it out and re set it,space/shim your engine,about the only way i can think of but if it's not lined up right it will keep snappin cables and i would good cable like hughey or octura.

Thats what it sounds like to me....also how much open space is there between the tube and the collet/ And be sure that there are no sharp edges at the end of the tube...may have a burr you cant see......just things to check! :)

Trevor

Remove the radio box and bend the stuffing tube up to allow proper alignment. you can use a 1/2" closed end wrench as your pry tool to bend the brass. Bend in many different area so you dont kink the tubing. you will leave little tick marks in the stuffing tube but the will not hurt anything.

Keep us posted

Grim

I have followed the instructions and have, 2 more broken shafts. One in a stock vegas deuce and one in a deuce with a 18 TZ. The stock boat is still perfectly alligned. The tz boat is way off, I assume the TZ is off from belt starting. Both were perfectly alaigned when I started. Off to the hobby store to get more.

What flywheel are you using?? The brass collet (thing under the flywheel) on the stock flywheels has a habit of getting deformed if you take the flywheel off and put it back on. If you turn your engine over slowly, and have this problem, what you will notice is that flex cable collet will woble (not stay in the same spot). If this is what is happening, you might want to try a different flywheel. The SV27 one works pretty good, but only has a hole drilled in one side of it. A guy at a hobby shop showed me that the flywheel is not balanced like that. So, I drill the hole all the way through and it balances it out better. Other than that, there is an OS blue flywheel, but if you are belt starting, this one does not work very well, and may actually rub on the bottom of the hull in a stock MV (not sure about the deuce).

Another cause of the cable breaking here is soldering. I got too much solder into one of the cables when I soldered it prior to cutting. This made the cable brittle. Could not see it from the outside until the cable broke, then I could see that the solder had wicked down outside the collet.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Miss vegas the motor was way off aliment..I had to reline the motor plus shim the front two bolt area the re-angle the motor...whats your space between your coupler and the end of flex tube? I was told it must be the same size as your flex cable...that way they wont be any slapage of that cable..

is there something in your collet that is pinching or cutting the cable?, if it's allined it's baffling, I had a miss vegas run 100's of time's never a problem with an octura collet, is it lubed well and do you have a gap at the strut about the width of the cable between the strut and drive doggie! for wind up??

lol

thanks Nessa, I wasn't asking what the spacing should be but what Trevor had for spacing.

Dan.

I believe the flywheel on the TZ moter is the stock Aquacraft Vegas flywheel with an octura collet. I will have to start the motor to see if the flywheel or collet are bent. I have another octura collet to try if it is bent.

I have only ran the aquacraft cables, so I have not cut the shaft.

The space between the strut and the stuffing tube is about 1/4".

I will have to adjust the stuffing tube again and I'm going to try shimming the motor. What do you use to shim it. Wood or a washer?

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Hopefully I will get the figured out soon.

I believe the flywheel on the TZ moter is the stock Aquacraft Vegas flywheel with an octura collet. I will have to start the motor to see if the flywheel or collet are bent. I have another octura collet to try if it is bent.

I have only ran the aquacraft cables, so I have not cut the shaft.

I will have to adjust the stuffing tube again and I'm going to try shimming the motor. What do you use to shim it. Wood or a washer?

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Hopefully I will get the figured out soon.
if that the stock steel one then that might be your proublem...some of them arent turn true.. sometime steel flywheels wobbles..turn/spin the motor over and see if it wobbles....if it does get a alum O.S.. that might fix your proublems...

The tube should be inside the strut, and the gap, need's to be at the rear of the strut between the prop's drive dog and the strut

I wrote it wrong in my last post. The space between the drivedog and the strut is about 1/8". The space between the collet and the stuffing tube is 1/4"

This is correct. The tube should be inside the strut, and the gap, need's to be at the rear of the strut between the prop's drive dog and the strut

are the PM's working?

Trevor,

did you receive my PM?

However, your last post did answer my question.

Dan.

I wrote it wrong in my last post. The space between the drivedog and the strut is about 1/8". The space between the collet and the stuffing tube is 1/4"

This is correct. The tube should be inside the strut, and the gap, need's to be at the rear of the strut between the prop's drive dog and the strut
that about wright..from factory.. I'd made all my boats flex couple and tube about the size of the flex cable... so you wont have any cable slap=breakage..did you check you flywheel ballance/trueness?? check and see if there no wobbles when your tune the motor..a wobbley flywheel will cause your flex coupler to wobble too..

I ended up changing out the tz motor with a cvrm for now and did not have any problems with the shaft breaking. It looks like I'm going to have to change the flywheel on the tz. Both boats ran strong yesterday. Thanks for all of the help.

I ended up changing out the tz motor with a cvrm for now and did not have any problems with the shaft breaking. It looks like I'm going to have to change the flywheel on the tz. Both boats ran strong yesterday. Thanks for all of the help.
hi trevor , did you go out to the fun run at waughop.

Back