Crap, this Tape leaks!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Lately I gotten three bad rolls of Prather radio box tape. It used to work well and I never had a problem making it stick. Lately on about 4 of my boats, my Villain included the radio box tape refuses to stick. It just peels right back up. Anyone else having a problem w/Prather tape? I've used it for years but lately, It's killing me.

My biggest concern is that since the tape is not sticking well is if the boat flips, forget about it. The electrics will be soaked. Any advice to make it tacky enough to bind the tape?

I've sanded the edges, made them smooth but no luck.

What tape are you guys going with??

???

Re:Crap, this Tape blows!

Boaters,

I personally like the 3M tape, that is around $11.00

a roll. It has worked GREAT for our boat club.

Thanks,

Mark :)

Another alternative is freezer tape...the stuff I use is made by Frost King...available at Home Depot, etc. This stuff sticks, very well, but, best of all it leaves NO RESIDUE!

One other thing...make sure to clean the surface you want to adhere to with isoporpanol, no matter which tape you decide on!

Rick

Rick,

Is Isopropanol the fancy word for rubbing alcohol?

At one time I tried this Aluminum tape used for repairing Water heaters. It worked great but didn't hold up for a whole day of racing. The one thing I don't want to do be doing is changing the tape in between heats.

CBW,

Nice web site. My computer is slooow at loading web sites like yours that have a lot of pictures that need to be loaded. But, my feeling is if I guy stands by and reccomends the tape he is selling and using himself from this chat room I'll buy some. Can't be any worse than the Prather tape. You'll here from me later today w/an order.

Rick,

Is the freezer tape by Frost King Aluminum?? I think I'll experiment w/CBW's tape and Frost King. You can never have too much tape when it comes to the safety of your electronics! ;)

No...it's clear plastic tape...comes in 1" and 2" rolls. I like the 2" rolls which I cut in half.

Yes, isopropanol is rubbing alcohol...or 2-propanol. 8)

Rick

I also bought a roll of that prather tape and it was useless I'll try that freezer tape. Sounds like some good stuff.

In direct answer to your question, Yes there is a way to get tape made the way you want it!

That is what we did with our tape. We got a company to make it based on our input. Only one catch...You need to buy several thousand rolls to get it custom made. Good thing we have done that part for you. ;D

The top racers all over North America use our hatch tape, and they all love it. It has gone over 90MPH and stays stuck to the hull.

It is the best there is!!!!

$2.99 a roll.

Peter

www.climatemodels.com

Have used the 3M tape for 10 years with NO problems. Just clean properly first.

Got the tape from Tidewater and Andy Brown (CMD), but should be possible to get directly from 3M as well.

Regards,

Stein

$2.99 for the tape sounds great. Especially since I just rolled my car over in an accident and will need to save up some money.

Latest posts

Back