Craftsman/Atlas Metal Lathe INFO

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

I just bought a Craftsman 36 inch metal lathe any one have any lit or parts ideas? It works but needs taken apart and cleaned real well. I have 4 collets and a box of gears .

I just bought a Craftsman 36 inch metal lathe any one have any lit or parts ideas? It works but needs taken apart and cleaned real well. I have 4 collets and a box of gears .
Mikey, you got stream and water wheel next to your house to power that thing!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just breaking your shoes, Good Luck with it. I have old Craftsman tools been working for 40 years. B) B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikey I have a craftsman lathe that was bought in the 70's. I screwed up my cross feed and needed to buy a new one a couple of years ago. To my suprise Sears still had it listed and with a phone call to the service center they sent me a complete parts listing. Mine was built by Clausing but I bet they can help you out. Greg

Mikey I have a craftsman lathe that was bought in the 70's. I screwed up my cross feed and needed to buy a new one a couple of years ago. To my suprise Sears still had it listed and with a phone call to the service center they sent me a complete parts listing. Mine was built by Clausing but I bet they can help you out. Greg
Hhhmmmm i will check it out

Make sure you check the Manufacture of the lathe mine has a ID plate under the belt cover. Oh yea the scale boat is being painted this weekend and I've got 2 new CMB 67's prepped and ready to go. You going to come play? Greg

Make sure you check the Manufacture of the lathe mine has a ID plate under the belt cover. Oh yea the scale boat is being painted this weekend and I've got 2 new CMB 67's prepped and ready to go. You going to come play? Greg
Id love to but cant swing it this year. Hope the economy gets better for next year.. Send me some pics after you paint it

I believe Atlas was the early, Clausing was the later ;)

That link also shows Sears as a brand.

First engine lathe I had was a craftsman/atlas-Think it was a 9x24" bench top model with a rocker tool post (with a few parts missing). Hey once you have a lathe you can make parts. Mine came with a 4 jaw chuck. Added a 3 jaw chuck(had to grind the jaws with a borrowed tool post grinder). Bought a Grizley Engineering indexiable tool post(for about $25). Don't think I ever had more than $125 bucks into it and used it to build my first wood boat also an atlas. Don't know how much machine work you have under your belt Mikey-but I pretty much learned how to machine parts with a copy of the Starret handbook for the student machinist. Many or the older machines had babbit bearings and oil cups. Keep em clean and oiled up! As I recall you will need the other gears to cut different threads as there was no quick change gearbox on the belt driven lathes. Think the lathe I had came with a gear chart inside the belt cover. If you have any questions just send me a pm. Good Luck, Glenn :)

Atlas, now Clausing is across and up the street a little from where I work, more across from the Checker Motors plant.

mine is a mokey wards with the big flat leather belt 3 speed drive. bought it 35 years ago and it was a antique then. Mike Cathey (unw) had his mitts on it today and he as well as me came to the cunclussion that it is capable of doing more than we know how to make it do it. have seen mine with the long bed under the "ATLAS" name. mine was set up for polishing. cleaned daily, drenched with oil and all over again the next day. now its my hobby lath. I look at the china 5-600 dollar laths of today and wouldn't trade mine for any amount of them. if your lucky enough to find one , buy it.

Post some pictures of what you have. I like old machines like that and have ran them for years. After I see what you have may be able to help you with the way it all works. If it has not been used up or abused to much it will hold better tolarances than these new types you can buy.

I just purchased a King-Seeley 12" Bandsaw made for Craftsman sold by Sears in 1948 and currently restoring it to new.

I found this website really helpful so far. I found a manual, parts list, and the full catalog in which it was advertised, all free downloads.

Old Woodworking Machines Index

I have got really good help there. I bet you can find everything you need for your Atlas or know where to hunt if you don't. They get into everything as far as what kind of machines they restore. Wood or metal. All classics and collectable. Quite a large number of members. Amazing resto pics.

Good luck and enjoy,

Dave

DSCF1385-1.jpg

DSCF1509.jpg

PS If anyone knows who can make me a new Craftsman waterslide decal for the cover, please PM me.

I just purchased a King-Seeley 12" Bandsaw made for Craftsman sold by Sears in 1948 and currently restoring it to new.
I found this website really helpful so far. I found a manual, parts list, and the full catalog in which it was advertised, all free downloads.

I have got really good help there. I bet you can find everything you need for your Atlas or know where to hunt if you don't. They get into everything as far as what kind of machines they restore. Wood or metal. All classics and collectable. Quite a large number of members. Amazing resto pics.

Good luck and enjoy,

Dave

DSCF1385-1.jpg

DSCF1509.jpg

PS If anyone knows who can make me a new Craftsman waterslide decal for the cover, please PM me.

Good luck and enjoy,

Dave

DSCF1385-1.jpg

DSCF1509.jpg

Sorry for the double post- get it touch with Jim Geiger(on Jim's rc boat dock) for decals. Inexpensive and fast. If you need a e-mail addy I can get one for ya.Glenn

Mikey,

I have a parts list. I'll make a copy for you. I believe Clausing still has a lot of parts available, but not all.

Back