Cowls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-2 layers 225 gsm of csm also depending on the size of the cowl , stiffness , I don't know about carbo fiber maybe similar approach in fabricating out of glass & cloth would treat the same but it's available down @ 160 gsm and using epoxy resin with it . Does that help you out.

For Carbon Fiber, I like using a 5.8 oz. 2x2 twill and either West or Total Boat 5:1 slow epoxy. One layer of the epoxy and one layer of carbon cloth is all you need to make a cowling strong and very very lightweight. You can either vac bag it or use a soft squeegee and some cab-o-sil in your tight corners to avoid any bubbles from the cloth wanting to pull away. This Gas Rigger cowling I made weighs less than 2 oz. and is pretty strong for it's weight....

IMG_2079.JPG

2 layers of 6 oz sandwiched between 2 layers of 3.8, bagged:

normal_Cowl%2BPlug%2BMold.JPG

For Carbon Fiber, I like using a 5.8 oz. 2x2 twill and either West or Total Boat 5:1 slow epoxy. One layer of the epoxy and one layer of carbon cloth is all you need to make a cowling strong and very very lightweight. You can either vac bag it or use a soft squeegee and some cab-o-sil in your tight corners to avoid any bubbles from the cloth wanting to pull away. This Gas Rigger cowling I made weighs less than 2 oz. and is pretty strong for it's weight....
Sweet! Got a shot of the mold?

What kind of bag's do you use and where do you get them

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! Got a shot of the mold?
Sure Terry.

IMG_2090.JPG

Terry,

Did you start off with the male plug and make a female off of it?...and did you have to sand any of the two halves to make room for the cloth?

This is the net..I join the forum to get informed.. Anyway I found what I needed. Nice work on the cowls bye the way looks great..

Terry,

Did you start off with the male plug and make a female off of it?...and did you have to sand any of the two halves to make room for the cloth?
Yup, male plug to make the mold then it's work is done. Cloth gets laid up in the mold then bagged.
default_smile.png

This is the net..I join the forum to get informed.
You're welcome, anytime...
default_dry.png

Niklas Edlund also had a nice page about molding his cowl:

http://ne-stuff.blog...cowl-molds.html

Thanks for the link...

Elias,

Here are some picture of a plug for my sport cowl. Plug was made with blue insulation foam a couple of 1.5 oz layer of epoxy/fiber glass. Sand and fill the low spots, prime, and lay-up mold.

Mold is white epoxy gel coat and tooling resin. General rule is 4 times the number of layer of glass. So (2) layer of glass in the part needs 8 layers of glass for the mold.

Enjoy!!!

Bert Dygert

New Sport 40 cowl- 4.15.13.JPG

New Cowl 2 - 4.19.13.JPG

Sport 40 Cowls -2.jpg

Sport 40 Cowl - 3.5.14.jpg

Terry,

Here is a couple of picture of a cowl I did.

40 Rigger cowl two layer of 5.8 ox plain weave carbon fiber. Vacuum bag system shown is sold by Aerospace Composites in California made for hobbyists like ourselves.

Bert

40 Cowl Carbon Fiber-2.JPG

40 Cowl V-Bag.JPG

Guys what is the best gelcoat to use to make the mold and where can i buy it. I have tried with tooling gel coat and it did not work do you spray it or bursh it on please let me know.

Thanks,

Jose

For your molds good old polyester resin , tooling gel spray or brush type , once you have mold you make your cowls from whatever you choose too

Terry,

Here is a couple of picture of a cowl I did.

40 Rigger cowl two layer of 5.8 ox plain weave carbon fiber. Vacuum bag system shown is sold by Aerospace Composites in California made for hobbyists like ourselves.

Bert
Nice work! if you can mold a cowl you can mold anything!
default_smile.png

Guys what is the best gelcoat to use to make the mold and where can i buy it. I have tried with tooling gel coat and it did not work do you spray it or bursh it on please let me know.

Thanks,

Jose
Tooling gelcoat brushed and isopthalic resin is what I use. A couple layers of 18oz fiberglass cloth make a good mold. Leaving lots of room around the edges helps a bunch for the layup.

Thanks for the information. Has anyone made molds of expoy gel costs or all expoy molds will they have to be reinforced with glass fibers and expoy.

Thanks for all your help.

Jose

Back