Cowling Installations

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tampa1330

I've heard and seen some of the scale guys using magnets to hold the cowling in place on the 1/8 scale hydros. I wanted to use the same method on my sport 40 since I am building a new cowling and I wanted it to be as sleek as possible. Are there any pros and cons to using the magnet system? What type of magents should I use?

I've heard and seen some of the scale guys using magnets to hold the cowling in place on the 1/8 scale hydros. I wanted to use the same method on my sport 40 since I am building a new cowling and I wanted it to be as sleek as possible. Are there any pros and cons to using the magnet system? What type of magents should I use?
Try K&J Magnetics Inc. Remember someone mentioning them in a previous post. Glenn

Great. I just picked up about 50 K&J magnets to use on my cowlings. Thanks for the helps guys. I'll post a few pictures of my new project once I finish it.

Tamap let me know how you did it thinking about trying it on my sport40 curious where the placement might be and how many magnets... Thanks Robert

Tamap let me know how you did it thinking about trying it on my sport40 curious where the placement might be and how many magnets... Thanks Robert
I haven't yet figured out how I plan to mount the magnets. I was thinking of making an aluminum bracket and then just epoxying the magnets to the cowl. I'll post a few pictures once I get it set up. I'm thinking I want to use 2 at the transom then two about 4 inches forward then 2 closer to the engine. My hull is a PT SS45 so it has a tab on the front of the cowling to lock it in place. I had to order the magnets I'll post a few pics when I get them. In the meantime I'll be working on the brackets.

Travis

Joe i have a Ac sport40 its all gel coat so i dont think jb weld will work also which mags are you using as far as strength thanks again Robert

Well I received my magnets to day. These are neodyminum rare earth magents and they are 18mm x 5.3mm x 2mm. The way I mounted them I tried to use what was already there. There were four basswood blocks already mounted from the old cowling set up. They were used to bolt the rear part of the cowling down. I want my cowling to be one piece so it's easier to make strut adjustments in the field. I notched the bass wood blocks to fit the magnents. I place two in each slot and made sure they were deep enough so as to allow the cowling to fit correctly. Then with the two magnents in each slot and the cowling place I put a magnent on the outside of the cowling where each of the mounts are. This way when I removed the cowling the magnents stuck to the cowling and I marked where they should be mounted. Then I just epoxied the magnents to the bass wood blocks. Then I matched up the polarity on each of the already installed magnents to coincide with the location on the cowling. And finally i epoxied them in place. I wanted to go with 6 magnents but it turned out that the 4 seem to hold very well. I can almost pick the entire boat up by the cowling without it coming loose, almost.

Here's the pics..........

The magnents

IMAG0096-1.jpg

The installation

IMAG0098.jpg

Finished results

IMAG0097-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back