cowl locks and servo steering cables

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronald van Essen

Hi guys,

I want to start build the Lynx, but I need some info and parts.

Who is using what type of cowl locks and where can i get them?

What type of steering cables do I need? Here in the Netherlands I can get the one with a U shape at both end and a little pin to insert on the plastic arm of the servo, but under hard cornering they will flip out, and the boat goes......

Does anybody uses screws to let water out and they are in the back of the sponsons?

Thanks Ronald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi moron ust the screws that came with the hull to hold the cowling on. on the stering setup use eather cables or 4/40 rods that are hooked to the servo and engine with clevises. that way you have a solid hookup to the engine. if you want send me your email and i will send you a pic of how i got mine setup. hope this helps jimmy

Ronald,

I used the screws that came with the boat, you want to keep it lite and simple... I run all 4-40 Rods for steering on my Mod boats and cable for the TH and 3rd CH Needle. I will get back to the Lynx project soon, I am waiting for a guy to send me some parts so I can get the motor mounted...

Later,

Bill

jydracing said:
Hi moron ust the screws that came with the hull to hold the cowling on. on the stering setup use eather cables or 4/40 rods that are hooked to the servo and engine with clevises. that way you have a solid hookup to the engine. if you want send me your email and i will send you a pic of how i got mine setup. hope this helps jimmy
90798[/snapback]

Hi Jimmy,

I myself am waiting a few parts for my Lynx and would like to see your radio box set up. [email protected]

I am thinking of using what Grimracer uses on his Villan to hold down the rear of his cowl. Those plastic 8-32 thumb screws. I like not having to have a screwdriver to remove the cowl. I use those on most all my boats.

Alan....

moron

Contact Mike at Power Surge Racing Products. He uses a pull pull system for the steering and also makes a servo tray for the Lynx radio box.

For the screws to hold the cowl I found at my local hardware store these solid plastic lamp screws. There round and kinda rigged, I'll post a picture tonight. There great becasue you can turn them by hand.

As for the steering, I use two 4-40 rods for each side. So use the threaded side to the servo horn, cut it about half way to the engine. Put the other 4-40 rod threaded side onto the steering arm of the bracket and join the two together with O-ring couplers and tighten up the set screw to lock them in place.

As for water release, I drill a small hole in the middle of inside tips of the sponsons. You can do the back if you prefer. Just make sure to cover it w/radio box tape when your running.

For Cowl locks I use a 8-32 shcs (the kind that uses a Allen wrench) Drill a 1/16 hole through the side of the cap screw for a body clip ( like the rc car guys use) When you are building your boat, permanently mount the screws to the hull with a nyloc nut AND lock tight. One on top in front and two at the transom. Put holes big enough to clear the screw head in the cowl. Very effective and no tools required for cowl removal!! I've seen LOTS of stripped out screws trying to hold a cowl on and each time they strip a bigger one goes in! I have a friend that is up to 1/4-20's !!!

For steering, definitly go with 4-40 rods, split and over laped by 1-1/2 " and lock in place with collars with set screws. Dubro sells a kit for about $7.50 that has all the stuff. Advantage is alot easier to make outboard adjustments. Length of steering rod MUST change for any trim adjustments! Cables are a pain in the posterior for this.

ps I make a very cool engine jack plate!!

Capt Vic

To all who responded,

Thanks for the advise.

I always find pictures a good idea. I had a look at the boat of Mike Hughes.

I will send some persons a pm.

Thanks

Ronald from the Netherlands.

Back