COOL BEANS! This place is starting to rock!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pachmayer

Hey Guys,

Things are really starting to move along here on IW, lets keep it up! Anybody have any suggestions as too the type of info they want to see? How about the Nitro guys, have you any curiosities?

Paul.

I think we should limit Paul's time on IW to only 23.5 hours a day! ;D

I would like to start a plans section. Not for free because the designers put a lot of effort in to the design, but for a nomimal fee of a few dollars.

You could preview the plans and drawings to see if it was something you wanted to build.

The plans would be downloadable with part of the download fee going to IW for the web space required, and the rest to the designer.

I would also like to see a club database for new guys. It would let them look up clubs in their area.

Perhaps an interactive world map where you could click on an area and see if there are any clubs near there.

It would also help for planning road trips to other clubs and events.

A whats new section for upcoming events is a must. We have all missed events simply because we forgot that they were on a certain day. That, and the wife always has something planned for that exact weekend.

"Oh honey did'nt I tell you were were going to see the Jones's new garden that Sunday?"

'Sorry Dear, I have a race to go to. It says so right here on the calendar. It has been there since January."

You will probably end up still going to the Jones's but at least you can have the warm fuzzy feeling of being right!

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Well here is one nitro guy dat got tha itch ;)

LSH class, question is do the shovenose run with the newer more advanced designs? And the class is in two groups one 12 cells and 700 series with the other brushless and 8 cells?

Please feel free to correct me here, my knowledge on FE wont fill a teacup :p

Gene ;D

Phase III Racing: I like's me shovels 8)

Gene

The LSH (limited sport hydro) has exactly the same rules (sport hydro hull rules, 12 cells max. actually 9-12 cells) as "P" Sport Hydro with the exception that "P" Sport is Open motor and LSH is "Spec" motor (700 series closed endbell motor)

Oh yeah, the shovel noses definitely seem to be competitive with the pickle-forks.

I have curiosities,

I would like to know all about piano wire drive shafts.

-MikeP

Mike

That would be an excellent topic for a separate thread. We'll have to see if we can get one started soon.

Slowly but surely, a lot of electric racers are converting from flexshaft to piano wire (1/16" or .062" seems to be the most common size used). Just to lend even more credibility to the concept, Tom P. (Octura) is just about to release new flexhexes and propshafts for piano wire :)

A battery Charger Section would nice also.

A question / answer section A totally open section for everyone.

Steve

I think we should limit Paul's time on IW to only 23.5 hours a day! ;D

I would like to start a plans section. Not for free because the designers put a lot of effort in to the design, but for a nomimal fee of a few dollars.

You could preview the plans and drawings to see if it was something you wanted to build.

The plans would be downloadable with part of the download fee going to IW for the web space required, and the rest to the designer.

I would also like to see a club database for new guys. It would let them look up clubs in their area.

Perhaps an interactive world map where you could click on an area and see if there are any clubs near there.

It would also help for planning road trips to other clubs and events.

A whats new section for upcoming events is a must. We have all missed events simply because we forgot that they were on a certain day. That, and the wife always has something planned for that exact weekend.

"Oh honey did'nt I tell you were were going to see the Jones's new garden that Sunday?"

'Sorry Dear, I have a race to go to. It says so right here on the calendar. It has been there since January."

You will probably end up still going to the Jones's but at least you can have the warm fuzzy feeling of being right!

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Thanks Doug ;)

What kind of speeds could I expect from like a Bandit shovel with a B50-9L turnin a X440, Set up proper ?

Just a guess is fine,

Gene ;D

Thanks Doug ;)

What kind of speeds could I expect from like a Bandit shovel with a B50-9L turnin a X440, Set up proper ?

Just a guess is fine,

Gene ;D
Are you thinking 12 cells?

If so, I think it is the B50-8XL that you want.

Or, the Aveox 3630 1.5 cranking around an M447. That's the ticket! ;D

KW

Yeah 12 cells, That's a good question too,

What is the difference, L to the XL?

Thanks Kevin,

Gene ;D

Gene

The letters refer to the length of the motor can (and hence the armature as well) The XL is longer than the L and would have more torque.

KEWL, that makes since :D

So could we say this combo of hull, XL or 3630-1.5, Proped right is mid to high 50's capable?

Gene ;D

Yeah 12 cells, That's a good question too,

What is the difference, L to the XL?

Thanks Kevin,

Gene ;D
Motor mass for one. The larger mass XL dissipates heat better.

The 9L has a higher rpm/V but, from what I have witnessed over the last two years (8-9 races) the 8XL just fit the bill better on 12 cell hydros. For specifics on what prop to match with it, others need to join in.

I mentioned the Aveox because it can be had for about $100 less and people like Alan Hayman and Paul have gotten theirs to run at the same level as Hackers.

KW

A hundred less for the Aveox, that's a great tip!!!

Think I gonna research this out some more,

Thanks for all the info guy's ;)

Gene ;D

Gene

Just a quick primer on how to compare motor specs (this applies to both brushed or BL)

Electric motor performance characteristics are rated by use of constants (k). The most useful one is the voltage constant (Kv.) This rating is the rpm (unloaded) the motor will achieve per volt applied.

Example - Kv of 2100 on 12 cells = 12 X 2100 = 25,200 rpm. Now you may run into some difference of opinion here on what voltage to use per cell. In the past we tended to rate nicad cells at 1 volt per cell under real world discharge conditions (say 30-40 amps) Todays cells have vastly improved and now there might be a case for useing maybe 1.1 volts per cell at that discharge rate. At higher rates, the average cell voltage is still definitely going to be lower.

Any reputable motor manufacturer will give the Kv ratings for each wind of any given motor size. This then allows you some measure of predicting comparative performance of various motors.

There is also a torque constant rating (Kt) but you don't see it used as much.

Doug now please explain why we don't want to run

a 4200 kv motor on a 8 pound boat direct drive on 12cells?

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Ahhh Steven

4200 Kv motor direct drive on 12 cells in an 8 lb. boat = magic smoke ;D

Now, using a gearbox, the 4200 Kv might be just the ticket but 8 lbs for a 12 cell boat "ain't never gonna cut it" :D

The Aveox is a 4 pole motor and will not turn as many rpms as a Hacker. This may not matter in oval racing but surely does in just outright SAW speed.

Hello Gene,

If your liking a shovel than the PIP or Bandit would work. for a fast setup try a Aveox 36/30/1.5 (115.00) a Hacker Navy 70 controller (140.00) 12 cells and a y547 with the tongues removed and diamiter reduced to about 44mm by squaring up the tips. ;D

It will keep your attention for sure.

Paul.

Back