Converting Newton plans to CAD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

Does anyone have experience converting Newton Plans to CAD/CAM? I want to have the ability to have some parts cnc's or laser cut.

Or does anyone have recommendations for CAD/CAM software for a Mac. I have switched to a mac and now I have had difficulty in trying to find a good CAD/CAM package. Thanks

Since Newton plans are hand drafted and do have errors in them(sorrry Czar), you might be better off laying the parts out and cutting the old fashioned way, cutting them oversized with a scroll/band/coping saw and sand to fit

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Newton plans are hand drafted and do have errors in them(sorrry Czar), you maight be better off laying the parts out and cutting the old fashioned way, cutting them oversized with a scrole/band/coping saw and sand to fit
That is part of the reason why I wanted to get them into a cad program so that I could fine tune them on the computer before making cuts.

Does anyone have experience converting Newton Plans to CAD/CAM? I want to have the ability to have some parts cnc's or laser cut.
Or does anyone have recommendations for CAD/CAM software for a Mac. I have switched to a mac and now I have had difficulty in trying to find a good CAD/CAM package. Thanks
I bought "ModelCAD 3000 Model Design Software, for planes, trains, cars, boats or anything you want to design" by "Upperspace" from Tower Hobbies a couple of months ago. I loaded it onto my Windows XP computer. It appears very capable. But I have not had time to play with it much yet. When I get time, I plan on taking measurements off the several paper plans that I have purchased and creating my own designs. I would keep my designs within the IMPBA & NAMBA dimension limits for the specific hull, and like you said, use the software to check the fit of the parts. I plan to print out the finished parts on paper, tack glue them to the birch plywood, and cut them on my scroll saw [we don't need no steekin' lasers B) ], and glue them to the styrofoam for a light/strong W.O.F. boat. I hope to get to this over the winter. I will let you know how it works out.

Dave

One of the easier ways is to scan them and improt them into something like Autocad R14 (I think the version is right) and then trace over them. Haven't done boat plans this way, but a friend of mine regularly scans photo's of the real thing improts them and traces over them.

Might be worth a go if you have acess to a cad program. I'm sure you could do it with other programs but Autocad was the one my friend was using.

One of the easier ways is to scan them and improt them into something like Autocad R14 (I think the version is right) and then trace over them. Haven't done boat plans this way, but a friend of mine regularly scans photo's of the real thing improts them and traces over them.
Might be worth a go if you have acess to a cad program. I'm sure you could do it with other programs but Autocad was the one my friend was using.
This is what I had in mind. I hope it will work. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Kevin

Kevin,

Unfortunately the only way that you could have the drawings completed in ACAD or a DWG file is to have a drafts person draw them in ACAD. I had a set of drawings for the Winston Eagle Lobster boat that took me about 40 hours to draw in ACAD.

The other problem with using ACAD is the expense of the ACAD program. There are other cheaper CAD programs that you can use but you just might want to do it the old fashion way unless you are going to produce a lot of these boats.

Hope this helps.

John

Back