Composite Lower unit for Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rek

This is a new composit lower unit I've been working on for the 3.5 OB. Jim Irwin will have exclusive for the gas engine and I plan on providing an electric version due out some time in August.The lower unit with out any hardware weighs about 1.66oz. It is being test and we will keep you posted on progress. You might check out the outboard form to keep up dated on it progress.

Thanks,Richard Konnen

MVC-010F.JPG

Can you squeeze that release date on the electric version from August to next week?

:D :D

Unfortunately my time is consumed with regular business. I am prepping for vacation and my customers want orders filled before I go. Also the Nitro version has to be finished first, we are trying to get these ready for the IMPBA Internats. When I get back from vacation, which will be the first week in July, I will start on the modifications and parts needed for the electric. I would appreciate if any one has input as fare as bolt paterns on what motors are being used for the OB. I am only familiar with the 540.

Thanks,

Richard Konnen

drobie said:
Can you squeeze that release date on the electric version from August to next week?

:D :D
The Gophers got you worrying about LS OPC at the Classic? :)

Is there any word on whether there will be a Grim appearance this year?

KW

I would guess a 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4" and I would guess a three bolt pattern for the mega and pletts, but i don't know those figures, also a nice waterproof motor cover that would also be big enough for the controller would be nice!

Kevin Whitehead said:
drobie said:

:D   :D
The Gophers got you worrying about LS OPC at the Classic? :)

Is there any word on whether there will be a Grim appearance this year?

KW
Grim might stop to say hello, but I think he has a race in IL.

Given that he is constantly breathing those nitro fumes and mixing them with heavy metal, I doubt that he can remember how to get to the pond.

Worried about Gophers???

The Packers worry a little when they go to the Metrodome in recent years, but for this one, we are running on "Lambeau Lake".

Besides, what's to worry about? A Gopher is just an animal that spends it life with its head buried in the dirt.

And finally, they'll all probably get hung up at Cruisin' Chubbies for the weekend and never get to the pond anyway.

rek said:
I would appreciate if any one has input as fare as bolt paterns on what motors are being used for the OB. I am only familiar with the 540. Thanks,

Richard Konnen
If you get me a mailing address, I could send you a template taken off another unit's electric conversion plate.

Or...you could just buy a mount from Chris Fine at www.finedesignrc.com and use the same idea for the conversion plate.

Chris sells a carbon mount that is drilled with patterns for 90% of the motors in use today allowing one to swap 700's and most BL motors.

This may be the 3 hole pattern Steve Vasdekis was speaking of. My opinion is 1" and 1 1/8" would cover 95% of the motors people are going to want to run with this type of outboard.

Hp355.gif

Dont forget the hole sizes :) 1" is most likely 3mm or 1/8"would be fine and for 1/8" (29mm) 4.5mm would be fine

Doug i forgot to mention that Randy has the CF version of the K&B unit up and going( i have one) it it is pretty sweet, and damm light!

Chris Fine sent me 2 motors so I may measure them for an adapter. I am working on the molds now. I do have the flex shafts done. I am also working on the prop shaft. I have to run some with my logo and then they will be available. If anyone would like one, I sould have some run in a couple of weeks, but it will be just the lower unit, I probably won't have all the parts till Nov.

Richard

Sorry guys,

I have run 150 of them , they went to Jim Irwin for the nitro guys. I will be running some in the next week or two. My cnc mill is down and I have not been able to finish the adapter plate mold :( If anyone would like a lower unit You can get them for $29.95 includes flex saft. Currently you will have to make your own adapter plate for electrics.

Richard Konnen

R.E.K. Machine & Mold

If anyone would like to order a lower unit you can e-mail me [email protected]. Send name and address and I can give you a total to ship. Normally I put the K&B bolt pattern in them and counter bore to allow for some kind of coupler. If you would like one unmachine just state in e-mail. If extra shafts are needed they are $5.95ea. Brian Nelson on the outboard form just completed prop shafts.

Thanks, Richard Konnen

rek said:
If anyone would like to order a lower unit you can e-mail me [email protected]. Send name and address and I can give you a total to ship. Normally I put the K&B bolt pattern in them and counter bore to allow for some kind of coupler. If you would like one unmachine just state in e-mail. If extra shafts are needed they are $5.95ea. Brian Nelson on the outboard form just completed prop shafts. Thanks, Richard Konnen

95931[/snapback]

Richard,

I've tried twice to e-mail you but haven't received a response. Is there another e-mail address for you or can I PM you an order?

Thanks,

Dan Proulx

Sorry guys ,some times my e-mail scan software might dump your e-mail, especially if it's hotmail or yahoo. If anyone needs to you can call me 1-941-722-1174. Paul, looks great with the electric :D , what mount is that? Also from the gas feed back, use a oil mix for the shaft, not a thick grease. For anyone trying to run the composite lower unit should follow the post in the nitro-OB forum. They have many hours on them now and have good information.

Richard

Latest posts

Back