Cobra Cowl

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Zier

I'm finally finishing up my Cobra from Dan H. The instructions say how to attach the cowl, but it's kind of vague. How have you guys been attaching the rear of the cowl to the boat? Thumbscrews? Rubber bands? Any pics of what works well for you guys?

Thanks, Tim

Sockethead 7/64 drill hole in back of boat where you would like it add screw adapter to it, then drill through the cowling also use a washer.

I wouldnt trust velcro at the back of that cowling to close to fuel and grease, everyone i seen is using wood screws or setscrews

Last edited by a moderator:
you can attach the cowling many different ways . when i first started building i used brass inserts super glued in with 6/32 screws but if you ever overtighten the screw the whole thing comes out . so i dont use them now. any self taping screw will work. either a button head, flat head or any type will work. i use plillips screws with a large heads and they work good, available at any hardware store. funny you should ask this question. i was hit in the side at the last race by a boat going flat out. when i got the boat back, the front half of the cowling was gone, the screws held, distroyed the boat. but what was left of the cowling was still connected.

you can attach the cowling many different ways . when i first started building i used brass inserts super glued in with 6/32 screws but if you ever overtighten the screw the whole thing comes out . so i dont use them now. any self taping screw will work. either a button head, flat head or any type will work. i use plillips screws with a large heads and they work good, available at any hardware store. funny you should ask this question. i was hit in the side at the last race by a boat going flat out. when i got the boat back, the front half of the cowling was gone, the screws held, distroyed the boat. but what was left of the cowling was still connected.

Kryptonite screws, they are Britton - Proof. :D

i use nylon thumb screws... if you drill the hole,,,then put thin ca in the hole a the transom,,u should be able to run a tap through the hole and make threads,,,do it a couple times to be sure the threads are clean and hard...nylon thumb screws screw right in,,,,hard blow overs they pull out,,,and on mine it smokes the nylon threads not the holes...

please keep in mind that this is on my htb...im unsure of the transom design on a cobra...

ac

I was thinking of gluing in some expanding rubber nuts, also called well nuts & using a thumbscrew.

John, I have yet to run it, but it does look pretty sweet.

Attachments

• 100_5825.JPG
    100_5825.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 37
WOW!!! looks great. oh by the way stay away from racing in central florida, bill has a thing for new cobras. ( my boat that was wrecked at the last race was brand new )

i use nylon thumb screws... if you drill the hole,,,then put thin ca in the hole a the transom,,u should be able to run a tap through the hole and make threads,,,do it a couple times to be sure the threads are clean and hard...nylon thumb screws screw right in,,,,hard blow overs they pull out,,,and on mine it smokes the nylon threads not the holes...

please keep in mind that this is on my htb...im unsure of the transom design on a cobra...

ac
That's just what I did on my cobra build. Love those nylon thumb screws ( stoled the idea off of the VS1).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back