CMDI SG80

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeKautz

HI all. Ive raced rc nitro and electric cars for a number of years, but boats have always cought my attention. Always wanted a sgx rigger every sense ive seen one a few years back. I picked this one up a few months back off e-bay. Add was for a SG80, MAC 84, CMD hardware, CMD barstock 67/84 pipe, venom 1200nimh battery, Hitec 645mg 120 oz stering servo, hitec throttle servo. No prop radio or reciever. I have a futaba 4pk 2.4ghz radio to install. When i was ordering a prop for it from CMDI I gave the boats measurements to Donna and she said it was there 80 boat. The prop was back ordered so i was wondering if you guys could give me some prop info to try because all i honestly know about these boats is what ive been reading here for the past cpl days. i noticed the remote needle isnt set up for a third channel like alot that ive seen here. Also noticed the side of engine case has 67 on it but the head has 84. Donna also sent me a setup sheet to get me a starting point. The more i read here the more boat racing interests me . Is there alot of classes availabe for this boat in district 19 ? Is this totally the wrong boat to start racing with ? Whats the differance between a sg ans a sgx? I really admire the work you guys to to your boats and appriciate your help.

Thanks. Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuo should get a metal tank for it , highly recomended , nice looking boat , you could start with a 1465 , 1467 , H32 or a 1667

Contact to Walt Barney for metal tank he build good job custom tank another Contact to Henry Velasco at district19 He is great guy and will help more information for SG/SGX to you ;) Have good fun to new club Good Luck!

Welcome Mike,

All of the rigger classes are fast. Almost doesn't matter what size you start with. Just get out and practice running for awhile. Use about 40% nitro and just practice making good clean laps. Practice driving at different speeds, not just Wide Open.

When you feel comfortable to make your first race just go do it, but forget about racing, just make good clean laps and stay out of traffic. Try to be on the back straight at the start of the race. Do that four times and you might take home some wood. :)

Once you've done that a few times, you can work on getting good starts and then later going faster.

P.S.

We can supply metal tanks also.

Hi Mike & Welcome to IW.

The advice Andy gave to you is "spot on", follow it and you will have a very fun learning curve!!! ;)

Don :)

Thank you all for your advise and help. buying props in the for sale section of the forums to get a variaty. Then I can learn how the boat will react to different setups / water conditions. As for the tank Ill get it changed out also. Any hobby shops in So Cal carrying boat nitro ?

Thanks for your time and help: Mike

Welcome to IW Mike,

Andy's advice is spot on. Henry and myself both run SGX's in several classes here in District 19 including X hydro which your 80 boat fits into. Follow CMD's advice on props and this will get you in the ballpark. I know Hobby People stock Powermaster up to 60% at most stores and usually has one or two gallons of 40%. Many of us buy from local vendors who come to the races. Lenny Blake of Rum Racing sells Byrons race fuel in 45 and 60% at most nitro races for something around $46. The big motors will drain a gallon every race day so its worth while buying several gallons if you want to practice. You'll also want to stock up on plugs although 40% will be much easier on plugs than 60%.

You definitely jumped into a fast class, but as previously mentioned all nitro riggers are pretty fast. Hopefully we have enough boats to field X hydro this year as it is usually pretty thin.

Tyler

Thanks for the helpful info Tyler. What is the most popular rigger class out here in distric 19 ?

Thanks again: Mike

Mike,

B and C hydro are probably the two most popular nitro rigger classes. I would say on an average nitro weekend there are 3x- A hydros, 4~5x- B hydros, 5 C hydros and 2~3x- hydros. X is a least popular, but we always try to fill the class if possible.

D19 has its own website at www.namba19.com If you look at last years points it can give you an idea of how many racers run a specific class. http://www.namba19.com/points/header.html

Tyler

I run an h-38 for short course and 1667 for long course. The combo you have will push almost any 67 size prop very well. Take it slow as recommended and stay off the buoys about 20 feet or so until you get used to the steering. beware.......these boats as with all boats are set up for right hand turns. Don't make any hard left turns or the boat will tumble. None of these hydros like to turn left. Also, they tend to crawl to the right because of propwalk, so you will set your trim for a slight left setting to keep the boat running straight. Have fun! There is nothing like boat racing to get the blood pumping!!!!

Mike,
B and C hydro are probably the two most popular nitro rigger classes. I would say on an average nitro weekend there are 3x- A hydros, 4~5x- B hydros, 5 C hydros and 2~3x- hydros. X is a least popular, but we always try to fill the class if possible.

D19 has its own website at www.namba19.com If you look at last years points it can give you an idea of how many racers run a specific class. http://www.namba19.com/points/header.html

Tyler
I heard that some Nitro D 19 members may be making up to D9 this season. If it's true I am looking forward to it. Nitro classes have been thin here as well. Maybe together we can pull a couple heats in each class and rebuild the interest. It would be like the gold old days where 9 and 19 was just one big District 9. I remember back then, getting in the top 10 for the day was a challenging task let alone winning.

Thanks for the advice John. I do have a 1667 on its way and ill keep an eye out for the h38.

If you have raced r/c cars for years, then boating will be an easy transition for you. Not that you will go right out and win, but if you can control the throttle,left and right turns, unpredictable slide, and landing and throttling off jumps, then you should be okay.

Cliff

Bad thing is, I have a brand new 1/8 scale Losi 8t, RB concept C6BBll, servos, lipo, 3-bodies, starter box, ect. And all I can think about is running this boat, wifes going to kill me. I noticed the sale prices of Andy's boats and already has me thinking of starting a second without even running the first boat yet. Have a good day all, road trip down south to get some nitro for when these props arrive.

Mike

Bad thing is, I have a brand new 1/8 scale Losi 8t, RB concept C6BBll, servos, lipo, 3-bodies, starter box, ect. And all I can think about is running this boat, wifes going to kill me. I noticed the sale prices of Andy's boats and already has me thinking of starting a second without even running the first boat yet. Have a good day all, road trip down south to get some nitro for when these props arrive.Mike
Looks like you have caught the fever.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Zach

Yes indeed Roger,

Hopefully several us will make it up to fill in some of the nitro classes. You guys usually run gas and nitro on the same weekend?

Yes indeed Roger,
Hopefully several us will make it up to fill in some of the nitro classes. You guys usually run gas and nitro on the same weekend?
Just hope you don't mind back to back runs to our Fremont Site. The first race in D9 is the Grand Prix Classic Alfred and I run and the second one which is the first district race will be My clubs race which only consist of my dad and I right now but will be at the same location.

I don't think it is a bad thing to want to already build another. If you are anything like me, you'll just let that LOSI sit there for really boring days of winter. I raced for almost twenty years, and since I started boating seriously I haven't wanted to go back. The speed and minimal complaining and politics keep me goin' back to the lake.

Latest posts

Back