CMB RS 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTT WITHERELL

My freind has this motor and he called me to ask If I knew, but I have a cam 45 motor so I don't and"" I know Some one here will"" ,and he needs to replace the bearings,how do you get the back of the crank off, to remove the rod out of the way to pull the crank out.

P.S. some pic will help ...But please don't do a tear down to show me .

Last edited by a moderator:
My freind has this motor and he called me to ask If I knew, but I have a cam 45 motor so I don't and"" I know Some one here will"" ,and he needs to replace the bearings,how do you get the back of the crank off, to remove the rod out of the way to pull the crank out.
P.S. some pic will help ...But please don't do a tear down to show me .
Remove the back cover and rotor . The rear piston pin clip has to be removed through the exhaust. Then remove the piston and cylinder after pulling the wrist pin. Remove the flywheel and front cover. Then the crankshaft assy will come out the front of the motor in one piece. This generally is better done by someone who has the special tools needed.

You have to remove the wrist pin clip, & wrist pin through the exhaust port.

Press the sleeve out through the top as normal.

leaving the piston flopping around, through the exh. use a mini pick, sanded down to a needle point set of hemostats to get ahold of clip to remove.

use metric screw to screw into wrist pin, and pull pin out through exhaust,

now manipulate crank to bottom dead center, and remove crank and rod through opened back plate (intake side)

Oh, i should have asked, you are replacing the crank shaft bearings, correct, not the rod needles? correct?

If you need to ask how to get the engine apart, you will not have the equipment to replace the rod needles.

after you get it all apart, you will be asking yourself, "how do I get this back together" through the exhaust port?

I can't type that much tonight

Rick

It is what I call. "Building a Watch". If you can take a watch apart and put it back together .... then you can do one of these. :rolleyes: Make sure you count your needles. Also use a NEW wristpin clip when you put it back together. :huh:

Got a fellow boater, made a tool to accomplish the clip installation from two pieces of brass tubing to aid in the exhaust port reinstall..... with the clip inside the tube use the other tube to push it into the piston.... new clips for sure, use the pick to make sure the clip recess is clean and installed securely..... good luck, not a task anyone will enjoy.... mike

Make sure you wear safety glasses when you reinstall the c clip.If it flys out may get you in the eye.

Thanks Guys, for all the help,sent all the info from here to my freind,I told him to go here 1st and check out International waters,and that it was a GREAT place to get Information in the RC boating world.

"I'm here"! ,and "I'll never leave"! (sorry about the threat) LOL. It;s like being 35 and tellin your parents I'm never leaving home.

thanks again !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this thread is about done, but I thought I'd add my vote for using a new "C" clip. My 45 Evo purple head spat one last Sunday, and the results are not pretty. It kept running. In fact I only stopped it because the rudder servo failed (see failsafe thread), but noticed when I recovered it, and was about to oil up, that I could turn it quite easily by hand - with the starter belt. I don't know much of the history of the engine, but I believe it had new bearings just before I bought it, and I have only run it about three times.......

Ian

Back