Cleaning engine parts in anti-freeze

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

All,

I read more than a few times that anti-freeze can clean up baked on castor oil. Some swear by it. I am rebuilding a few old engines in my collection and I want to give it a try. I am not too keen on using a slow cooker. My question is will it work if I just immerse the engine parts in the anti-freeze? I tried things like Goo-Off but nothing worked so far.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

kez

Tried the antifreeze but some of the purple cleaner in the crock pot worked better at freeing up stuck motors that had been stored improperly.

Mike, can you post a link to the purple cleaner you used? I have no problem freeing up stuck motors. I squirt MMO into the crank case and bearings then wrap the engine in aluminum foil. I put the engine wrapped in foil on the engine block after a long drive. I have yet to come across any engine that I cannot unfreeze this way. Using the car engine for heating and I do not have to worry about watching the temperature in my kitchen oven. And it saves my marriage ;-)

Pete, I know crock pot is the way to go but this is not something I do everyday. I am wondering if the anti-freeze will soften the baked on oil without heating up.

Thanks,

kez

I use undiluted Simple Green to clean carbon deposits on my gas motors. It works real good if you let it soak over night then flush it with water the next morning. When I'm done I pour it back in the bottle so I can use it again. Don't know if it will work for you but it might be worth a try.

You can get a used crock pot for 5 bucks at a yard sale or a new one for less than 20. Just use any high ph water soluble cleaner/ degreaser from the car parts store.

Kez, I stumbled across this, it's called (Soft Scrub), Walmart, local Dollar Store. tooth brush for small jobs, great for cleaning Mono insides / Engine bays ECT. Since it's an abrasive type cleaner you need to be careful around your bearing areas and carb, it's fantastic (I have used comet looks like it's the same mixture bleach blend it does not work!!!) (SOFT SCRUB ) FOR THE EXTERIOR CLEANING. IT WILL MELT THE COOKED CASTOR OFF BEFORE YOUR EYES! COOL STUFF, Rick L.

Spray nine Grez-off marine degreaser. Just don't let it dry on the aluminum.
default_wink.png

I use a crock pot with automotive antifreeze. But one very important thing ! ONLY DO THIS OUTDOORS... THE FUMES ARE TOXIC !!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back