Classic Thunderboat Hydro - Plan enlargement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

I looked on Roger Newton's 1/8 scale plan site - As far as I can tell, he sells only 1/8 Scale sized plans. Does he offer "enlarged plans" for the Classic Thunderboat Hydro class?

Dave

I looked on Roger Newton's 1/8 scale plan site - As far as I can tell, he sells only 1/8 Scale sized plans. Does he offer "enlarged plans" for the Classic Thunderboat Hydro class?
Dave
All you need to do is take Rodger's plans to a print place like Kinko's & scale them up 15-20%. B)

Be careful, years ago I enlarged a set of electric tunnel plans to 115%. Checking actual numbers boat was to wide to run properly. You may have too tweek the width to make it symetrical. My 2 cents. Ray :ph34r: :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you will need to make additional cross frames to keep the boat skin rigid. If you try to build it using just the parts drawn on the plan sheet, the skin will flex and the boat won't hold up.

Dave
All you need to do is take Rodger's plans to a print place like Kinko's & scale them up 15-20%. B)
Just a note of caution with this. I copied Newton plans directly (ie 1:1 on the machine) at Kinko's once to use as templates to cut out parts. I took it for granted that 1:1 was truely 1:1. Well it was not. I cut out about 75% of the parts before rough assembly and the pieces were not fitting. :angry: I rechecked the copies to the original and they were slightly enlarged. I tried making plan copies at three different Kinko's after that. All the plans were oversized compared to the original. I ended up transfering the drawings to vellum and used those as templates instead. Recheck the measurements first after making copies!!!!! My $0.02.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks guys! All excellent advice.

I may use the wood-over-foam method to build this one. But first I will need to buy the motor, mount, pipe and header, and design around that. If I have the time, I will try to convert the plans to ModelCAD, and use that to make adjustments to the design, and then print out the templates for transfer to the plywood for construction. I have had the 1/8 scale plans for the Miss Vernors (round nose) for years, but now I'm thinking of buying plans for Miss Schweppes because I like that one too. It's an already large hull (32 footer, or 48" in 1/8th scale), closer to Classic Hydro size, but I will need to make it wider to be legal.

My winter project is shaping up! :D Thanks again!

Dave

Dave
Just a note of caution with this. I copied Newton plans directly (ie 1:1 on the machine) at Kinko's once to use as templates to cut out parts. I took it for granted that 1:1 was truely 1:1. Well it was not. I cut out about 75% of the parts before rough assembly and the pieces were not fitting. :angry: I rechecked the copies to the original and they were slightly enlarged. I tried making plan copies at three different Kinko's after that. All the plans were oversized compared to the original. I ended up transfering the drawings to vellum and used those as templates instead. Recheck the measurements first after making copies!!!!! My $0.02.

Cheers,

Kevin
Ok guys I just got my plans enlarged 18% & had an interesting talk with a person who's been in the print biz for many years. He told me that the key to accurate copies or enlargements is the machine, plain & simple. He told me that what most likely happened in Kevin's instance was the original not feeding smoothly which is the key to accuracy & the number #1 source of error. He told me a place like Kinko's typically will not have the top notch machines like you find in a more "upscale" print shop nor see the level of maintenance needed for ideal conditions and results. I had a company called Bizport do my Newton plans & they turned out beautiful. So just an FYI on copying & enlarging plans. B)

Back