Cavitation plate

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Fugazi

So I started run a VS1 with an air cooled K&B on it and half the cavitation plate broke off. Do I need it. Can I just remove the remainder of it off and will it run just fine with out it?

My experience years ago wasn't good running no cavitation plate. Cause you get lift off prop & water hit it. When I tried it I couldn't get the hop out of tunnel hull. Put cavitation plate back on & hop went away. Just my opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I have been cutting cav plates down or off for years. In a turn the cav plate hitting the water can screw you up. If you run it high enough not to hit you didn't need it anyway. As for the water force keeping the nose down well that's drag I don't want. Setup, props and correct angles go faster as Brandon said.

Mic

Running A mod so anything goes. It sounds like it will work so I'll cut the rest of it off and go run it. Has anyone cut the rudder off the bottom and mounted a offset rudder? Pros and Cons with that.

And thanks for all the comments guys.

Lou

Hi Lou

Since we moved to Oregon I have met a man who cut the rudder off the lower leg and is running it offset. His boat is very fast and handles very well. I can only imagine that he has many hours of testing and setup to make it run the way it is. The fact is... It can work and work well.

Kay and i will be down next year to mix it up with you guys. We miss everyone but at the same time have found a great group in D-8

Take care Chris

Chris, you may notice that I cut the end of the cavitation plate off on my P limited tunnel. That allows a larger prop than the K&B 3.5 lower unit was designed for. Lots of electric racers remove all the plate with no obvious performance detriment.

Lohring Miller

The cavitation plate on most tunnels, as high as we run the lower setup, usually becomes nothing more than the support for the water pick-up.

Lohring

Yes I have noticed, your boat is very fast and stable. Not to mention very hard to beat in a heat race!

Chris

Back