Carl Van Houten tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jr Branham

Is anybody on the board running Carl's new 20 boat? I used to own two of his big boats (Savage and Hornet). Pics would be great.

Jr. Branham

Jr

I have one of Carls 20 boats. We tested it at a couple of dist. races and took it to the NAMBA nats. I won the first two heats and in the third it had warmed up considerably and the hull vent had plugged so the boat blew up like a balloon. Well it did not launch due to the warpage. Vented the hull and won the fourth round. I am not running the proper lower unit on the boat so at times it can be tricky to launch Carl has beaten up about the lower so I am getting the proper one on it now. Even so it is a great boat. I have run it both stock and mod now and love it. At the Nats the wind was blowing down the back shoot and the boat just laid down and ran noticably faster into the wind. I am waiting for Andy to have the Mac motors so I can get serious about testing for next season. I don't have any pictures but I will try to get some and attempt to post them.

Mark

Jr

I have one of Carls 20 boats. We tested it at a couple of dist. races and took it to the NAMBA nats. I won the first two heats and in the third it had warmed up considerably and the hull vent had plugged so the boat blew up like a balloon. Well it did not launch due to the warpage. Vented the hull and won the fourth round.
Ummm I don't understand how does a boat blow up?? it has sealed compartments??

Tom--hit a big turtle at 50+ MPH and you'll see a boat 'blow up'! :eek:

(although I don't think that's what Mark was referring to..... ;D )

Tom, Take a sealed cavity full of air and heat it. The air expands and distorts the hull. I normally drill small drain holes in the front of my fiber glass boats to vent them, but debris inside the boat plugged the vent hole. I have seem boats distort very badly due to air inside expanding on a hot day.

Mike, Carl says that the boat was designed around the O.S. lower unit and the lack of set back in the K&B that I was running was causing me problems. So I am going to modify an O.S. to accept other power heads and give it a try.

Mark

Mike, Carl says that the boat was designed around the O.S. lower unit and the lack of set back in the K&B that I was running was causing me problems. So I am going to modify an O.S. to accept other power heads and give it a try.

Mark
Hey Mark,

Why not try using a spacer between the motor mount and the transom? Easier than converting the lower unit. Anyone out there who can tell Mark the transom to drive dog distance on an O.S outboard??

Mark, can you take some pic's of that boat for us?

Tim

Moving the whole motor back would also affect the c.g. alot. Besides I need a little quality time with my mill and lathe. I love making large bits of aluminum into small bits of aluminum.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry - forgot about shifting the CG : :) .

Easily overcome though for testing purposes.

It will also change the pivot point for steering.

Keep us posted on your aluminium reduction program ;D ;D

Latest posts

Back