Carbon Fibor Boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim leyde

I ran my carbon Fiber Vision today for the first time. Long story short. Anyone that is putting one together, make sure the antenna is OUTSIDE THE COWL. I lost signal numerous times and hit shore.... Not a good day at the pond. FYI, I wasusing a Futaba 2.4 fasst 3PM with a 603 FS.

TL

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn built you a carbon fiber boat? If so I want one, do you have any pictures?

Thanks Beau

Tim,

Carbon blocks radio signals!!!!!! Make sure your antenna is OUTSIDE the boat!!!.... :)

Also draws lightning, so in an approaching thunder/lightning storm get em off the water and put away. Definitely gotta get the antenna up and out. Im like Beau - I want one too :) a scale preferably!

Hugh

Last edited:
Its painted fellas.... but i want one without gel coat and paint! !!!! Do tell Tim where did you get it????

Not Tim here but I can say it was one of Shawns prototypes.

If the hatch or exit point of the antenna is also carbon it needs to be insulated from the hull where it goes through.

I glue a piece of brass tubing that a plastic antenna tube fits tightly inside of through the hull and then I run the plastic tube all the way through so there is no way the antenna can touch the metal or the carbon. Works great.

Chris

Hey all, I by all means hope Shawn dosnt get bugged to make CF boats. I believe the boat was used as a test/prototype boat. I bought the boat from Gary Erwine about two or three years ago. There is gelcoat over the CF. I can say this, the boat is laid up sweet and drives just the same! When it wasn't out of control running while today. Do to my stupidity of not getting the antenna out from under the CF cowl. Live and learn as the say. I will have this baby screaming in no time.

I want to add, this hull took some hard contact with the shoreline today. I must say Shawn makes a **** strong solid hull!

Thanks for your hard work Shawn its appreciated by many!

TL

IMAG0908.jpg

Back