Carb Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would not be hard to do. Just extrapolate. Nitro is about 1.7/1 and Methanol is about 6.5/1.

Only account for the nitro and meth in the fuel, not the oil.

Therefore a fuel mix of 60% nitro, 25% methanol , 15% oil. would produce a 71% nitro and 29% Meth. mixture. If I did the math correctly, this would require an A/F of 2.8/1.

Not a big difference from 100% nitro.

25% nitro, 60% meth, 15% oil. would work out to be 5.0/1

Good to hear from you Andy! Thanks for the numbers. When I did the stoichiometric calculations for each component, I got slightly different numbers that I believe is due to the way I did the weighted mean of each component. Anyway, I got around 5.47:1 when weighted for 55% nitro. I may need to go back and rethink. My nitro came out to 1.04:1 pure but when multiplied by the mass-percent of air, (O2), gave a number of 4.48:1.

Thanks again Andy.

Have any of you carb guys ever calculated the air/fuel ratios required based on the percent mixtures of our fuel?

Would not be hard to do. Just extrapolate. Nitro is about 1.7/1 and Methanol is about 6.5/1.

Therefore a fuel mix of 60% nitro, 25% methanol , 15% oil. would produce a 71% nitro and 29% Meth. mixture. If I did the math correctly, this would require an A/F of 2.8/1.

Good to hear from you Andy! Thanks for the numbers. When I did the stoichiometric calculations for each component, I got slightly different numbers that I believe is due to the way I did the weighted mean of each component. Anyway, I got around 5.47:1 when weighted for 55% nitro. I may need to go back and rethink. My nitro came out to 1.04:1 pure but when multiplied by the mass-percent of air, (O2), gave a number of 4.48:1.

Thanks again Andy.
Yea I new that, just wanted to see what you guys came up with !!
default_wacko.png
default_ph34r.png
default_tongue.png
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

Have any of you carb guys ever calculated the air/fuel ratios required based on the percent mixtures of our fuel?

Thanks again Andy.
Yea I new that, just wanted to see what you guys came up with !!
default_wacko.png
default_ph34r.png
default_tongue.png
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png
Same here Ray !!!!
default_biggrin.png
:D

Just more food for thought.
default_wacko.png
default_dry.png
default_blink.png

Take these air/fuel ratios, compress them to 9:1 to 10:1 compression ratios and then tell me why they are not near liquid form or slush, at ignition.

Maybe this is why the glow plug wire gets bent or why we need a larger combustion chamber at higher nitro percentages??????????

Charles

Good Morning Charles! Glad to hear from you again. I sure miss these conversations lately. In response to your "appetizer", I believe larger volume chambers are necessary not only for the increased nitro but the increased water vapor.

Where's Ray's popcorn icon when I need it!

MSV and chamber shape

The volume of the port runners and the shape

Expansion of the mix after the carb

You can atomize it all you want but all this will still turn it to poop.

Back