Carb Bore VS Intake Rotor Timing.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just need better pistons.
I agree with Mark on this one. if you told anyone that knows anything about engines and how they operate... That we are running 60 Nitro in a engine that has a cast piston..... they would laugh at you....... :lol: :lol: .... try that in your wifes car tomorrow morn.......... the mfgers that have switched to offer billet pistons have done this for a reason.
joe,was running 72% nitro+ spiking it with propoline oxide to boot back in 1980 with my os max 40 pylon engines(stock cast pistons)screaming the balls out of it, that tom roman built for me and was the 3rd fastest plane in the USA at 13 years old! ran it for 2 seasons without falure! guess the quality was real good back then for stock motor parts.

View attachment 36577

This is not a Zoom Carb or a good copy. This is a lot of your problems in burning pistons. IT WILL NOT WORK. This design will not accurately meter the fuel/air mixture. This is part of your problem in burning pistons. It is difficult to burn a piston with the right fuel/air mixture.

Charles
sorry charles, have to dissagree with you, burned two pieces of crap cmb pistons(1 stock and 1 billet) with the stock carb,mike.

I agree with Mark on this one. if you told anyone that knows anything about engines and how they operate... That we are running 60 Nitro in a engine that has a cast piston..... they would laugh at you....... :lol: :lol: .... try that in your wifes car tomorrow morn.......... the mfgers that have switched to offer billet pistons have done this for a reason.
joe,was running 72% nitro+ spiking it with propoline oxide to boot back in 1980 with my os max 40 pylon engines(stock cast pistons)screaming the balls out of it, that tom roman built for me and was the 3rd fastest plane in the USA at 13 years old! ran it for 2 seasons without falure! guess the quality was real good back then for stock motor parts.
Os built good pistons... however the rods were crap. Friction heat is the enemy on the big engines and the pin bosses absorb a ton of heat & change the roundness of the piston.

Os built good pistons... however the rods were crap. Friction heat is the enemy on the big engines and the pin bosses absorb a ton of heat & change the roundness of the piston.
yes,i agree,luckily we had RPM rods back then.as far as heat with the big guy,i agree on that too. have learned alot from EVERYONE on this site,espcecially dave w,he has taken the time to explain to me so much about the real workings of the engines we run. just wish i had more time to test and learn more,dam i need to hit the lottery!

View attachment 36577

This is not a Zoom Carb or a good copy. This is a lot of your problems in burning pistons. IT WILL NOT WORK. This design will not accurately meter the fuel/air mixture. This is part of your problem in burning pistons. It is difficult to burn a piston with the right fuel/air mixture.

Charles
sorry charles, have to dissagree with you, burned two pieces of crap cmb pistons(1 stock and 1 billet) with the stock carb,mike.
Wrong head button volume & too lean........ Remember in order to fix the problem... You Must First... Find the Problem!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 36577

Charles
Wrong head button volume & too lean........
yes,wrong head button(tried a torridal)bad move :angry: 2nd one, still not sure?? but new motor will be the sh :D t! PS, i luv my VAC .91 in the mono,right joe :rolleyes: more left in that one! dam lack of time!

Well back to the big bore carb.

The carb in the pic is the one I am testing now with a standard spray bar. Have a few spray bars drilled to different sizes to see what is what.

Found that if the hole is too big it is hard to needle. now this will change in the heat of the summer I am sure.

I like this setup because I can here the tune and don't have to look at the smoke trail all the time.

Don't like taking the plug with it still gurgling. makes for a long day at the pond.

That and I can't use the flow meter with the new pipe. It will not read the flow. It is off the scale below 20 on BM meter.

Will have to get a new 2 pump for this set up.

Mike thanks for being my Ginni pig. You and Luis are the best.

So my nuclear banana ran good ha. You going to ever give it back. :lol:

Don't worry got Luis's new Rico off shore sitting in the garage to put the VAC91 in. :huh:

View attachment 36577

Charles
If you burned pistons, then your combustion temperature is too high. Find out why.

I did not say that the fuel mixture was the only problem that you guys could have. I told David that his carb design that is in the picture will not work with ANY engine setup.

If you get everything in the engine out in left field no one thing is going to magically fix it. You cannot just throw everything in the kitcken in the recipe and expect it to work. Heinz 57 engines will never work.

Totally disregarding everything that some very smart people have spent their lifes work figuring out is a big waste of time and money. If just 1/10th the time and effort were spent reading and understanding someone like Blairs work instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every week, you would be a long way ahead of most so called engine guys.

There are gains to be made, but not like this.

You guys carry on, I am through.

Charles

View attachment 36577

Charles
If you burned pistons, then your combustion temperature is too high. Find out why.

I did not say that the fuel mixture was the only problem that you guys could have. I told David that his carb design will not work with ANY engine setup.

If you get everything in the engine out in left field no one thing is going to magically fix it. You cannot just throw everything in the kitcken in the recipe and expect it to work. Heinz 57 engines will never work.

Totally disregarding everything that some very smart people have spent their lifes work figuring out is a big waste of time and money. If just 1/10th the time and effort were spent reading and understanding someone like Blairs work instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every week, you would be a long way ahead of most so called engine guys.

Charles
View attachment 36577

Charles

I did not say that the fuel mixture was the only problem that you guys could have. I told David that his carb design will not work with ANY engine setup.

Charles
Hey, I had my hand Up and Had a Question!!!!!!! :unsure:

View attachment 36577

Charles

Charles
View attachment 36577

Charles

Charles
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charles Don't bow out, your knowledge is what is needed to make this hobby progress.

Trying the new head design is just a exercise in seeing what will work. you don't always get it right the first time.

But not going out side the box to see what is there and just fallowing the gospel. That is for the sheep.

If you think Blair's is the last word in 2 stroke then so be it. As for me I will always push what I know to the limit. You never know what you will find.

A two stroke eng is a mystery that dose not always fallow the rules.

Remember the it will never run with out a disk!

I guess I should have listened to all those that said it will never start yet run.

So what dose this tell us about rotor timing. How much do you relay need. With the right pipe design do you need any?

I have no problem raising my hand. always willing to learn.

David

Charles Don't bow out, your knowledge is what is needed to make this hobby progress.

Trying the new head design is just a exercise in seeing what will work. you don't always get it right the first time.

But not going out side the box to see what is there and just fallowing the gospel. That is for the sheep.

If you think Blair's is the last word in 2 stroke then so be it. As for me I will always push what I know to the limit. You never know what you will find.

I guess I should have listened to all those that said it will never start yet run.

So what dose this tell us about rotor timing. How much do you relay need. With the right pipe design do you need any?

David
David I bet it wont run without the Piston......

View attachment 36577

Charles

Charles
View attachment 36577

Charles

Charles
Joe, be nice, you just may need some more free infomation on keeping you son's car going. :D

Charles

View attachment 36577

Charles

Charles
View attachment 36577

Charles

Charles
Joe, be nice, you just may need some more free infomation on keeping you son's car going. :D

Charles
Not Today!!! When you going to built us some 101 Carbs? Put me on the list please for 2 of them..... .550 or .575 bore? I have the Need for Speed!!!!!!

David
You got me there. <_< I won't even try that. :( Then again...............................NAAA forget it. :lol:

David
You got me there. <_< I won't even try that. :( Then again...............................NAAA forget it. :lol:
David, added case volume is added fuel in case ...after the rotor closes & now you have more fuel to work with to push to the top of the piston = More Power..... Do you think this way? or different? I very much believe in all the case volume you can get...

I never gave the volume much thought. Larger volume would change the pressure in the case. it would be lower. giving less velocity at the opening of the ports but a large volume would push longer.

The whole thing is when dose the pipe take charge of the flow?

At what point in the cycle dose the pipe draw start to lower the pressure in the cylinder and ports.

I would think a small case would blow down the chamber quicker.

But as you say a large volume would hold a reserve in the case for the pipe to draw on.

Maybe some that have messed with this will chime in and set it strait.

I never gave the volume much thought. Larger volume would change the pressure in the case. it would be lower. giving less velocity at the opening of the ports but a large volume would push longer.

At what point in the cycle dose the pipe draw start to lower the pressure in the cylinder and ports.

But as you say a large volume would hold a reserve in the case for the pipe to draw on.

dave,the"other" 45 purple motor with the huge case vol is much faster than the small one you did.not sure if this applies the same to the large motors,but sort of makes sense what joe says about more fuel in the case. PS,charles if your listning,my eyes and mind are ALWAYS OPEN! still trying to absorb all this 2 stroke in a head that eat,sleeps and poops 4cycles my whole life.PPS<dave i may give the banana back,joe might think that is a good idea :rolleyes:

I have had some cases so thin... you could read the newspaper thru them....... Case volume on a Nitro 2 stroke is added power. the more Nitro you can pak in the case after the rotor closes the more power you can make. Now the trick is get that rotor closed 65-70 Atdc And dont blow it back out

David I cannot believe you have not thought of the case volume......... If the dremel can cut metal out of the inside..........it can be replaced with fuel....

Latest posts

Back