Can YOU identify this boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propjockey

Here's what I know--

12" wide

24" long

plywood

Mounting holes in the transom suggest it was the home of a K&B 3.5 at one time.

Interesting design--notice how the sponsons are tapered all the way back? VERY wide and flat at the rear.

Anybody have a clue what it is?

I think it's an original design. I've seen lots of tunnels, and I've never seen this particulur design. It looks like the sponson dihederal is pretty flat.

Jerry Dunlap

Here's a little more info--

1 lb, 12 oz as pictured. (I see several places where it can be lightened)

The dihedral isn't constant--it's 12 degrees about midway along the sponson, and decreases to 8 degrees at the rear (per sponson). Any theories on why?

Does it look like a good candidate for a 3.5 OB?

hummmm......looks like a good deal then, just 'bout anything's a good deal for 23$ when it comes to boats. i'm not an expert on tunnels [obviously] but you should try sanding it down some where it's too thick and stuff like that, it would probably turn out to be worth putting a K&B or TT on and giving it a run.

Looks like the old original dumas 3.5 tunnel with the front end cut out to form the picklefork design. I did this back in the late 70's with a dumas kit.

Rob

Your right this looks like a mod hotshot. Very interesting. I must say that with the pickle cut in the hole boat looks narrower. Weird. Having the transom cut in stumped me also. I mean you can tell by looking at the back that it is a hot shot but I just could not get past the narrow look.

Tunnels are way fun..

Just for fun i will have to post pictures like the ones here of my stock hot shot to review.

Grimracer

Gang

Here is the pictures of my Hot shot. You can see and compaire for yourselfs.

Grim

Next

Sorry i can not show you the bottom of the boat.. There is some top secret stuff on the bottom of this hull and i can not risk it. ;)

Grim

Yeah sure! Top secret stuff................you just don't want us to see that gob of epoxy oozing from a gaping hole where you cut the wood out wrong! ;)

Seriously though, I think you're right. If someone moved the transom, they did a clean job. But you can tell where the front has been modified.

So, I'm the owner of a modified Dumas Hotshot?? Any chance of it being competitive?

BTW--thanks ya'll!

PJ,

ya know, there's really only one way of knowing if it'll be competetive...........try it out!! ;D ;D

[i know, ur not done w/ the lil rascal and dont have time, but still]

Hey PJ,

Well, if the boat was competitive it would still be winning races. And, it's been many years since I can remember the original Dumas Hot Shot winning a race I've attended. However, I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning so my remembering what boat won what is questionable at best.

Hey Grim,

So, you tried ride plates on the back of the Hot Shot. With the stock aluminum prop shown in the photo the boat must have performed really well!!! I never built the original Dumas Hot Shot. I was running a design of my own called the Excaliber when the first wood Hot Shot kit was available.

J.D.

Jerry

The crazy thing about this boat is that in 99 i won the Mod class seasion championships with it. It had a K+BSS on it and would run right up around 45mph. After 45 all heck would break loose. The boat would go boobs up and start spanking mosqutios. The motor that is on the boat now 1976 K+B. I put it on there just for show.

Talk about a blast to drive..

Grim

Back