Can someone help plz

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Erickson

How do you remove the piece on crank shaft that pull start spins too.i need to change motors and swap one design to other motor is it pressed on or screwed on thanks

If you mean the pawl thats threaded onto the crank. You can hold the crank steady with a wrench on the collet, I made up a tool thats basically just a slotted pices of flat bar that the nubs fit into.

5/8" wrench on the flex cable collet then something like Chan-L-Locks to unscrew it. A piston stop will work also.

Paul, it may be too late for this time, but in the future ...

Any three piece ( pressed together ie; Zen, RCMK, QD, CY, TK, ect. ) crank can be tweaked ( forced out of alignment ) by applying pressure to one end of the crank ( including piston stop devices of any kind ), while trying to remove/replace a component on the other end. Plenty of guys have done that for years with no problems. But the safe/proper way to remove the pawl, is to hold the flywheel ( same end of the crank you're working on ), or to remove the cyld. from the case, and block the crank counterweight on the same end of the crank. In both ways you are only working on the flywheel end of the crank, with no strain to the pressed fit ( sometimes not THAT tight ) of the crank pin.

They are your motors and it's your choice.

Tony thank you was about to screw up
If you hold the collet to do anything at the flywheel end you are screwing up bad.

You only hold the engine from the end you are working on or you will twist the crank. You cannot fully seat a flywheel by holding the other end of the crank without twisting it or certainly a high risk of twisting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more caution;

When replacing a flywheel, you MUST get it on the crank taper very tight. The "key" is an alignment tool, and doesn't hold anything. It's the taper that locks it on. If you only tighten it with the pawl, chances are high that it won't be tight enough and you can damage the wheel, key, keyway, and crank slot when it comes slightly loose. Tighten the flywheel on by using a large steel washer and steel nut. And again, use the holding methods decribed above. Get it VERY tight. Now you can remove the bolt and washer, and replace your pawl.

No man.

I left those parts out and glad you advised about just how tight a flywheel should be and how it is best done.

I don't even believe it torqueing one necessarily but rather as tight as it takes till you feel the crush go away. If you have used a steel nut and good sized ratchet on one before I am sure you know what I mean. You can just feel it stop then you stop well if you like the threads to stay in the nut. Lol.

I thought he might just be changing pawls and didn't include the whole story. But absolutely you never know how tight it was before either. Best to be sure it is fully seated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back