ca glue injury :)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moontz

the other day, there i am building the frame of a zippkit. anyhow, some ca glue dripped down the frame and didnt notice and stuck my index finger right in it. so finger is stuck... luckily i have the acetone handy. so after 5 minutes of trying to open the bottle with one hand, finally get it open and proceed to brush some on my finger where its stuck... this has happened before and typically a non issue.. HOWEVER, this time seconds after I apply the acetone, i feel this burning.. at first i though it was just acetone stinging a cut on my finger or something... then I see SMOKE coming from where my finger is stuck.. then the burning gets pretty bad and i yank my finger off.. no skin ripped, but after i removed the excess ca of my finger i had a pretty significant blister from the burn... what the **** happened? any scientists on here? and i was not smoking anything and pretty sure i was not hallucinating... anyone else been burned by CA? :)

I am no scientists but here is what happened.

CA creates heat when it sets. It set when you take away the oxegon from it. You took away the oxegon by pouring the acetone on it. It worked just like kicker would.

Last edited by a moderator:
CA creates heat when it sets. It set when you take away the oxegon from it. You took away the oxegon by pouring the acetone on it. It worked just like kicker would.
Is that what kicker is make of,acetone? Can acetone be used as a kicker?

Is that what kicker is make of,acetone? Can acetone be used as a kicker?

No that is not what kicker is made of. It acted like kicker and displaced the oxegon arounf the CA for a couple of seconds. Acetone will disolve curried CA.

makes sense. it was a pretty significant goop of ca i stuck my finger in which was probably why there was so much heat. plus the blister was concentrated where the ca was the thickest which also supports your rationale. thanks professor :)

Man, with all the injuries thats been on here lately, you all keep it up and we'll have to help you all figure out how to race with one hand.......lol.Be kinda hard to figure out how to throttle and turn at the same time. Glad you came out ok.

You can use a slower set CA and not see any smoke,, the fast set is the stuff that smokes.

I use Maxi-Cure "Extra Thick by Bob Smith Industries (www.bci-inc.com). A lot of woods used

in boat building are going to get bonded better with the thicker slow-set stuff anyway.

Fast set is better for balsa and,, fingers too :)

I am a scientist! ;)

Cyanoacrylate glue actually works by reacting with moisture (not oxygen) in the air or in the parts we intend to glue together (finger included)! The acetone you added was wet (acetone, in fact can never be fully dried as it will polymerize) and it was that water which catalyzed the polymerization reaction that occurs when CA glue cures. That curing process is refferred to as an exothermic reaction (heat is released). The local concentration of heat caused the burn! Ironically, if you just let your finger fully cure to the part and then added acetone, you would have dissolved the glue away and your finger would have been fine!

Ain't chemistry great! Sorry, I am a geek.

Rick

I am a scientist! ;)

Cyanoacrylate glue actually works by reacting with moisture (not oxygen) in the air or in the parts we intend to glue together (finger included)! The acetone you added was wet (acetone, in fact can never be fully dried as it will polymerize) and it was that water which catalyzed the polymerization reaction that occurs when CA glue cures. That curing process is refferred to as an exothermic reaction (heat is released). The local concentration of heat caused the burn! Ironically, if you just let your finger fully cure to the part and then added acetone, you would have dissolved the glue away and your finger would have been fine!

Ain't chemistry great! Sorry, I am a geek.

Rick

Yap Ricks rite on the money , thats what i was going to say , and even with those beg words and even some of the begger words to :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry just trying to look smert :lol:

Hey Terry where do you get those foot safety glasses :lol: :lol: :ph34r: , sorry man i couldn't resist , see you soon Terry

Dropped a glob in my shoe once (no socks), smoked a burned like crazy. I always wear safety goggles now... ;)
long time no see terry :D try getting your tight wedding ring off real quick when the zap gets under it :eek:
Maybe come down your way one of these years, would be good to see all my old Virgini' buds again.

Yup, she tried gluing it on too but I got it off anyway! :lol:

Back