building the pod racer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakerboy

well guys .. i did start the building of the hydro with the looks of a startwars "potracer " . the tub is 20 inch long, sponsors are 9 inch long .. powered by a cen .16 engine with tuned pipe .. drive is from Hydro &marine here is the first building pic , just to give u an impression .. ;)

jerome

potracer.jpg

Re:building the pot racer

Interesting idea.

What is going to hold the sponsons to the tub and keep them from rotating?

That looks pretty neat, But It looks like your balance point may be to far back. The electric guys can get away with that because of their boats weight. I may be wrong

Mike

climate .. there will be carbon fiber mounts for that front boom more pics will follow ..

mike , the balance point seems to be a bit back yeah .. i am builidng as light as i can , hopefully a full fuel tank can help !

jerome

I think the electric boats can get away with that weight distribution because of the torque of their motors at low revs. It will be interesting to see how this boat goes! ;D

By the way, it was "Pod Racer" not Pot Racer" :p ;D

Ian.

Ian ... u r so right ! sorry for my bad english !

blues thats a cool pic and the design starts to look simulair ...

i just fired up the engine for a bench run and find out they rev out pretty well .. :D

may be it will be a fast racer after all ...

jerome

very nice idea.......

obviously all of us have been looking at the electrics brilliant result by the jag team.

I to was well impressed and have also started studying the boat design. now i haven't made anything yet because like most of the respons we had here was will the cg work out with the heavier construction?????

obviously buidling light is the way to go and also Glenn Quarles has allready told us to get rid of as much not needed material in front as possible.

the JAG boat is a perfect example.

now the electrics put their heaviest bits in front I guess (the batteries) as close to the first boom of the jag design boat (as i refer to it for now as i don't know who did what first) as possible. what if we move the engine there.

i just thought if we build something like this in nitro maybe we are stuck on the boat layout of a rigger to much to go for extreme things.

this will sort of get the cg nearer to what it was. still building light of course.

now the problem might be the fuel tank... where do you put it???

well my thought was this obviously close behind the engine. either make a special tank shape were the prop shaft runs through or put two small tanks either side of the propshaft,,,,,,,,,,

extreme and strange?? yes definatly.......... the solution maybe but just my concept at the moment.

any comments suggestions? be a good place for a nice discussion perhaps..

and of course Jeroen keep us up to date with your plan and how it works.

btw it is dutch building work so the first name might not be to far out : :)

Keep up with the pics speakerboy.

Looks like its gonna be a fast one.

Nice ideas on the sponsons.

I want to see finial pics, and speeds from it.

In MPH Please, I dont understand that other speed, and not Ebay speeds.

Tom

haha nice smiley clay.....jerome, what exactly will you be using this boat for? ;) :p

seriously though keep us posted it looks like a sweet project...i thought about doing that with a .12 rigger built for the old FF .12 plans, but it was already painted red so i thought more along the lines of lobster than star wars.

maybe if you add some lead to the sponsons it will both further the CG and steady it in turns? of course build it first before trying anything like that....

Joe

tom your suggestion on the fuel tanks. put a tape on lid on the top of the sponsons and put the fuel in tanks there. run the hose through the boomtubes. just a thought.

speakerboy what type and size of wood are you using on the sides? i might have a better type.

ok well since this model seems to atract some of u .. i will contignue building it ..

tom , as always i think u are right about the C/G and the weight balance .. i did not find a good spot to use for that .. the idea of mounting the tanks somewhere else may work .. lets face it .. the fuel tank i use is 118 cc .if it is filled full than the weight could be less than 2 servo.s a receiver a batterypack? ore may be we should move the batterypack and trothle servo also to the front .? the tub i was builing is messed up .. in other terms .. i let it dry close to the window while i forgot the tempeture and rainy night .. the tub is useluss now since it bended all diff diections .. i have some wood left and otherwise i will buy some more wood . the sponsors are fine and i will finish them 1th .. weight of the sponsors are now at 46 grams each...

the power must come from a 2.6 cc pullstart Cen engine .output is just arround 1 hp at 22000... i lightly modifyed the engine .. and had it run on a test stand . add a weight on the shaft .. it sure screams .. but i do not expext world record with it .. if i can get a rigger model with this engine arround 50 mph than i am realy happy .

so targets are : finish the sponsors and design(in my head) a new tub concidering the weight thing and easy building ..

jerome

maybe when you redesign the tub you could design it aso the radio box is up front right with the engine to help out in the cg department

Back