Brushed Motor Resistor/Capacitor/Diode?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propjockey

I've seen several 05 motors that all had different doo-hickeys soldered onto the motor connectors. I've seen capacitors, diodes, and plain resistors. I've seen them soldered between the Pos and Neg connector, others were soldered from the connectors to case, and I've seen different electrical values...what gives??

How do you know what to use?

What do YOU use?

Last edited by a moderator:
capacitors; you nedd three of the and one schiotty diode. Solder capa. # 1 from pos. post to the neg. post. #2 solder from positive post to the center tab which holds the endbell tight. #3 solder from neg. post to center tab which holds endbell down. The diode is soldered from pos. post to neg. post but make sure the silver stripe is on the positive post or side. Ok, the capa. wire on some units like Magnetic Mayhem are soldered to can cause there is no center tab to hold endbell down and the reason is the is no timing ring for screw to grab hold of. Another reason is suppression of motor or rotor noise takes another route. It is a combo of fiber used on the top so comm and the top do not touch each other and short out. It is getting deep now and now the GURU's to jump in! Bud Light!

Most of the stuff you see hanging off the back end of an electric drive system is for electrical noise suppression. Capacitors are there to reduce the effect the arcing of the brushes have on the radio signal from your transmitter to your receiver.

3 are required for the best suppression. One between the + and – poles, and the other ones between the poles and the can (case) of the motor.

A diode is there to keep the motor from acting like a generator when the power is cut quickly. This "backwards" power could harm the speed control as it is only designed to send power one way.

Not all speed controls require this addition.

Most modern motors have the capacitors built in now. Older style motors still need to have them soldered to the leads and the can.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Thanks Guys...

Couple o' more questions...do the capacitors decrease performance at all? And how do you know what size to use?

If a person were to use a mechanical speed control ( :eek: Heaven forbid! ), the diode would not be needed--correct?

The capacitors do not take any performance away from the motor. Even if they did, it would be a lot less than the performance loss from the boat running around out of control all over the pond.

You do not need a Diode on a mechanical speed control as it is strictly a series of resistors and not coupled to any electronics. The resistors simply absorb and back EMF from the motor.

Capacitors are usually .01 Uf ceramic discs.

We have about 1500 in stock if you need some.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

No, to harm power . Diode, just good insurance for a $1.50. Mr. Climate is more elequate with the words than i am. Size of capacitors, just tell hobby store what they are for and they will hand you 3 but always get a few more to have on hand.

PJ

The Hughey mechanical speed control always has been and always will be, a perfectly viable, economical speed control for use with brushed motors.

Mr. Forresterace is correct,i have one for 4-8 cell mono and there are various sizes to choose from. I have my rings coming out of the top like Steve Reeser does to minimize the heat. Just wipe the rings dry after usage and is operated by a micro-servo . The only reason i mention this besides Mr. Forresterace is i saw a mechanical speed control like you mentioned seize up and couldn't control the boat speed and hit an aerator for ponds and no recovery was possible!

PJ

If you are referring to the Hughey mechanical speed control (and it is the ONLY mechanical spd. cont. worth using) it will handle all the amps that any ferrite 05 car motor will live through.

With the use of a mechanical speed control, a schottky diode on the motor terminals is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back