Bringing old engine to life?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finne

Greetings!

I have an old Le Mans 360 engine that haven't been used for years.

It appears to have a bit of rust on/in it.

I am wondering if you think it would be possible to get it running again, and how I would go about it?

Haven't seen one of those in 10-15 years...

If I remember correctly, it's a sealed can? Meaning that you can't remove the end bell. If that's the case you have your work cut out for you if the motor is locked up I'd give up on it. Otherwise you can try soaking it with lots of motor cleaner and blow it out. I'd soak it in something like Corrosion X, note that it's more expensive to buy this than replacing the motor... Try WD40 or something. Just work on cleaning as much particulate from the inside of the can and getting the bearings nice and wet. When done, clean it again with motor spray, a drop of oil on each bearing, replace the brushes and see how she runs...

Good luck. Take a picture of it, it could become a collectable ;)

thank you for the reply.

well the boat it came from is 15 years old so I'm not surprised. ;D

the engine isn't locked. But it's not rotating all that easily either. tho I can't remember if it ever did rotate easily.

I'll check around if I can run into something not that expensive to soak it in.

A piece of advice from a former electric truck racer, DON'T use WD-40! If you need to clean it up, there are a lot of commercially made sprays for electric motors or use a spray Brake cleaner but use it outdoors! Use a light oil on the bushings or bearings. Kyosho used to have soome motors years ago, like back in the late `70's that they called 360's but were in a 500 or 550 can. It had something to do with the windings if I remember.

Latest posts

Back