Brass tubing And strut Help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Flynn

I don't know if I'm having a bad day or what? But I can't seem to get the brass tubing through the strut !!!! I'm trying to put 5/16 brass in a Speedmaster strut and its a no go. I also tried 1/4 brass tubing for a 3/16 strut and the same results?

I measured both struts and the 5/16 is 0.3125 And the 1/4 is 0.250 . its been a while since I built new, but I remember the brass tubing always going through the strut with no problem?

I also checked the tubing I got the same measurements. did speedmaster change the size of the opening? ( I know I cant fit the same sizes together but I'll try)

Thanks for any help

Terry

tubing is not very consistant..

i have had pcs only .005 difference fight me..

take some 400 grit paper.. and wd-40 and sand on the tubing.. eventually it will slide in.. but it might take a little sanding.. sometime the tubing fits dead on.. sometimes it is a a hassle

chris

I don't know if I'm having a bad day or what? But I can't seem to get the brass tubing through the strut !!!! I'm trying to put 5/16 brass in a Speedmaster strut and its a no go. I also tried 1/4 brass tubing for a 3/16 strut and the same results?

I measured both struts and the 5/16 is 0.3125 And the 1/4 is 0.250 . its been a while since I built new, but I remember the brass tubing always going through the strut with no problem?

I also checked the tubing I got the same measurements. did speedmaster change the size of the opening? ( I know I cant fit the same sizes together but I'll try)

Thanks for any help

Terry
terry,

the last 2 speedmaster struts i used i had to run a reamer through them, both were 3/16 struts..

all the new speedmaster struts ive got ive had to run a 5/16 drill bit through them a few times to get stuffing tube to slide in. Even then, still usually have to lightly sand the tube with 600-800 grit to get it to slide in smoothly (i use Loctite 609 to secure the tube in the strut)

Like Martin said find a ream,If your in Chicago land like I think you are Harrison supply used to be a regular stop for me to find reams and other goodies. Using a drill bit can ruin your strut and your day been there done that sucks

Like Martin said find a ream,If your in Chicago land like I think you are Harrison supply used to be a regular stop for me to find reams and other goodies. Using a drill bit can ruin your strut and your day been there done that sucks
Expandable reamers work well for things like this that have to be "Fitted " . Another twist is to sand it like mentioned (helps to have a gross length to work with and someone else chucking it in a drill to spin it slowly while you sand it ) then acetone , LIGHTLY heat the strut and insert with red loctite on the tube . Don't overheat and have a firm block of wood to tap on the back of the strut to get it in quick ,wear gloves !!

Using a drill bit can ruin your strut and your day been there done that sucks
solid carbide bit in drill press. Have never had a problem doing it this way... now if youre using a hand drill......

Thanks for the help guys. I thought I was loosing it.. Looks like I'll be sanding for a while

Terry

Thanks for any help

Terry
terry,

the last 2 speedmaster struts i used i had to run a reamer through them, both were 3/16 struts..
Me too, both sizes.

Thanks for the help guys. I thought I was loosing it.. Looks like I'll be sanding for a while

Terry
Those struts are always a tight fit for the brass. Put the tube in a drill and use some sandpaper to turn it down til it has a slip fit.

Be careful, the brass can sieze in the strut and you will ruin the tube getting it out, use some oil.

Latest posts

Back