Boy I got the strangest call tonight from an official of our city

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzubee

Supporting Member
They actually want us to run our boats in a city park to harass the canada geese with our model boats ! I included the e-mail I could believe what I was hearing but the official actually does work for the city. As you can see they are already using dogs to harass the geese. I did let her know the city of STL had the same issue at Forest park and they went at night collected up the geese while they were roosting and donated them to the homeless shelters for DINNER! Of course the tree huggers did find out about it and razed you know what.

Bill –

Thank you for taking the time to hear about my little goose project. This is the email and ‘best practices’ that my dog teams are using. Quack, quack, quack!

• BLANK must email or speak to each and every dog/handler team prior to them working in the park. Email -
  • The handler must be wearing an Animal Services volunteer badge which we provide. We can mail the badge or they may be picked-up at our shelter – BLANK.
  • Safety is critical for our team and citizens. The park is surrounded by busy streets. Dogs do not have to work off-leash, but they are allowed to run free in the park if managed with voice/hand command. Dogs should be social and not injury people. We suspect that eventually a citizen may be angry or even aggressive about the goose harassment. We have a prepared script and unprofessionalism is forbidden regardless of the citizen’s behavior. A polite departure is always sufficient if the script and polite conversation isn’t effective. Please do not feel badly if you find that the citizen is not calming and just leave politely. I cannot stress how effective this is and will be appreciated by myself and the city.
  • The geese should not be injured by the dogs. Ideally the dogs will be unable to touch the geese. If there is a problem with an injury, just let me know and I will handle it. This type of occurrence will not have you expelled from the program. We’ll just look at making adjustments.
  • Any unusual event should be reported to .

Script: (approach by a citizen saying ‘it bothers me that you’re chasing the geese’ and ‘your dog is supposed to be on a leash in the city’) Hi, my name is pull badge off chest and introduce yourself and SMILE (you must SMILE). “I understand your concern. I am actually working with Name blank at Animal Services and the administration of the City of Huntsville to work on harassing, but not injuring the Canada geese (just FYI, it isn’t Canadian geese, it’s Canada geese). Over the last 15 years this species has become a larger and larger nuisance. This park is being destroyed by these geese and the CITY's office receives weekly complaints about the geese feces. They can actually poop up to 2 pounds/day. When we have upwards of 300 at the park, that’s a lot of poo. Many cities have had to have the geese removed and sadly destroyed. We are hoping to go a humane and urban wildlife friendly route. If you’d like to email blank, look for her email address under the City website. She will gladly answer any questions. And remember please do not feed the geese and ducks and fish anything but the permitted food.

K

Bill

We had a problem with Canada geese at are Dayton pond 2 years ago and they used M80's to get them to move on.We haven't had a problem.

Dave

The best model boats we've found for chasing water fowl are electric powered. The Hammer EP works really well. And, should you "Nudge A Duck" it doesn't cripple the bird.

JD

Birds will always be a problem for all of us.

Have seen a malard duck come in for a landing right in front of a boat.

No mater where you run an animal / reptile will be there as well.

Seen all types of strikes by props etc and unless the object is inanimite ( wood , rock ) they are in for some real hurt.

Some times it is unavoidable but do take caution as it onlt takes one tree hugger to cause us to lose a pond.

I use an airboat to scare ducks off my rice fields(shallow water). It would work well on your pond as it is not so fast that it will hit a duck and if it does the prop is shielded

Believe it or not one year a maintenance guy at our pond figured it out. Fertilize the grass all the way to the waters edge. Geese wont walk on it and soon will fly away. Key is you have to do it every year,our guy lost his job over spending cuts but had the population down to a few hundred compared to thousands

Bill.... is he/are they suggesting using rc to herd them for capture, or what?... I just dont see, really, any good PR for the boats coming about from it.....ie: the RC guys "helped to get the geese".... basically, and i wouldnt like to be there, as confrontation with opinionated pro wildlife people is inevitable, and possibly dangerous..... Our state DNR has ownership/control of the geese here. In actuality all waterfowl are Federally protected, and id hazard to guess trickled down to state/city management of an overpopulation problem........ I'd not be posting except for our "roundup" just went off here. We have/had upwards of 3 to 400 yearly in our small 1/2 mile square lake/river area, and the waste from the geese is incredible, very bio hazardous, and insects just from the aspect are nasty.... Intensively a combined offensive of parks workers, state DNR supervision, and logistics, once a year, build a funnel trap of construction snow fence. Baited with shelled corn a few weeks in anticipation of molting period for the geese, the young of the year are survivable anywhere, they use regular boats and human drivers to nudge them all( they cant fly) to the funnel trap and into waiting trailors for transport to the state refuges many miles away.... it's a welcome repreive, certainly, but redundant absolutely.... well, yeah... birds have that homing instinct ingrained in their brain..... and every spring... 2 to 300 more babies swimmin' round....as a hunter, recognizing a renewable resource and utilizing it would be great.... but the public opinion would surely bring outcry instantly... they keep the grass at golf course green status, everywhere, leaving evidence as they feed. They tried the purple spray grass additive/deterrent crap years ago... didnt even phase them..... so, we remain vigilant as we have to cohabitate with the waterfowl on our pond.... they have the right of way, easily, as the public eye watches..... the same people, that feed them all spring and summer arent around and outside come winter to find them stuck to the ice and starving because theyre too fat to migrate with the wild ones...... luckily the human interactive ones get shot during season north of town, or theyd die with winter and starvation also..... its a viscious cycle... the park's quiet... and the poop might just clear up, huh, just in time for the 4th of July events scheduled around town.... and.. they didnt kill em'. Public happy..... go ahead... spread out the ole blankie and let the kids frolic in the gravy, and the gnats that feed on it...... consider yourself lucky if they allow harvesting yours..... ours have "cute status" here..... good luck.... fast boats, have a spotter.... cohabitating once a week...... Mike

Funny Story, Bob Morton tossed his launch boots in the back of the van. Day later, he's like what is that smell. :wacko: Finally figured out it was goose s@#t in the treads of his boots. :lol:

The geese around here are protected and we can do nothing.. They crap all over the place and are a HAZARD to all. When I see em in the road and have the van.. they get the goodyear logo on there backs!.. sorry.. act of GOD.. like the time I hit that 8 point buck with the red Impala! Dam thing got on the road..

Our Realtor's husband now has a heart condition because the spoors from the crap, Living on a lake (A fricking borrow pit around here) and mowing year after year. He will be dead before he is 65...

Grim

What is at the park is about a hundred Geese that will not leave the area. They were hatched there and they just keep make more eggs. The poo is so bad that you can not walk there without stepping in it. And in some places it is poo on top of more poo. The sad thing is that you can not just catch them and take them somewhere else to release them. They will return to there nesting ground. So the only thing that can be done is to catch and destroy them. Sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe using a loud speaker with a save your life language for the Geese. Turkeys panic when Alpha screams "BEEK!!!! Geese might do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad we dont have those issue down here, the Koots are about the worst we deal with and thats only cause they a fricking brainless and will enter the course with 8 boats running like they have no clue- Thankfully they are small ;)

The gators and turtles are a whole nother story :blink:

I gotta say - and its just my worthless .02

That NO GOOD could come from you guys using RC Boats to run the water-foul off , regardless of the request and nuisance the birds may cause.

I aint hugging tree's here guys, but someone is- and taken the wrong way- it can and does have the making for a very poor perception of what we do - regardless of who approves it. :ph34r:

Andy

Gas guns and electric buzzers are common in vineyards for bird control. Chrome reflective tape is also a good, quiet option.

Latest posts

Back