Boat test plan method

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

Guys,..

Often I go to the lake and test a new boat. try pipes,.. props,.. etc.. to get real results we should have a defined method to test set up changes. I don't usually have such an organized effort but I want to.. Here Ill outline what I think a good testing method should be. Please look at it and recommend changes or additions.. it's just a start.. but I think a good test and development plan could help alot of us. This test plan will only include things that can be adjusted or changed at the lake. No engine mods,..etc..

-First we have to get the boat to run consistently with one setup,. This means we have a boat, engine, prop and pipe that will run the full fuel capacity without stalling, flipping,..whatever.. This does not have to be a real fast set up,.. just consistent. The goal should be to maintain this consistency while improving performance.

-The first thing I like to isolate from adjustment on any day is the needle setting. This can be a matter of preference. I think it's important to do this because we cannot really evaluate changes if we are adjusting the needle every run. to me, a good needle setting is about 1-2 clicks leaner than when the engine first gets on the pipe.. it's safe..

I usually want to test pie, pipe length and props and hull set up. but what is really the correct method?

Do you find the pipe length that seems to work well, launches easy and provides a decent RPM, than start changing props till you have too much load on the engine? OR,

Do you get a prop that you think a good fit. Then adjust the pipe until you no longer can go on and off the pipe easilly.. and then try different props with that setup? This could lead you to dismiss props that might work better at a longer length.

I want to try and test 2 props tomorrow and a new pipe. but it's getting cold man,.. I want to do it in the most efficient manner.. and conserve my fuel!

These are all just my thoughts and opinions.. your thoughts?

Hello everybody .

Anthony M., This is a reply from Australia . There are a variety of Model Boaters over here that use something as simple as a Notepad / Book and write down a number of different pieces of information including -

Reading on Flow Meter - NITRO

Mixture Settings for PETROL

Temperature

Pipe Length

Glow Plug Type

Head Clearance

Exhaust / Motor Temperature after running

Nitro Content

Prop Size

Differences in HEIGHT above Sea Level will also determine how your Boat performs on the Day . GOOD LUCK with Your Testing .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Anthony.. a gun will show you, really whats what... I use the same you do per a new boat... small(er) know propellor range for the boat, common starting pipe lengths, and my needle is easily obtained quickly on any given day.... the boat will always show me what i'm looking for.... level flight?.. rough water capabilities?.. engine wrappin out?.. rooster?.. Ovals and retreival are job 1... then ill prop the boat up..speed gain?.. pipe sag? ( same needle same model prop just.. cup... )... ill prop and gain, or prop and lose... all at basic platform test setup...( recorded) as.. the boats attitude is there... itll heat, and that eliminates that.. for a minute... somewhere ill find the propellor it wont take... from a bad puke launch to sagging the pipe... on any needle, possibly... I may.. pull the pipe to see... but .. every engine i have to date has shown me what itll take, where the edge is and back it off... I've a few right now, on that edge, where plug damage may occur if, i get too bad on the needle... ( fast.. big wheel... lean to pull it... no....) All parity aside, and there are waaay better guys around that have detailed test scenarios... changing one thing at a time is a creed I stick to easily... per se.... my 20 hydro is Ok, and ive spent a lot of test time, ALOT, just fine tuning the propellors for it... known pipe length, always, engine, boats set, and week in and week out, dont change known scenarios that work... stuck, low 70's... its there.. i know, my pinnacle propellor numbers, and, ill work up a few for next week... throw it... watch it... hear it... thats what keeps me going to the lake... is the search... there are so many variables... eliminate what you can, use what you know, and throw the thing in.... i learn slower than most guys.. idk, its taken me into a second test season to gain a pretty quick 40 boat, im really happy with... winter made it, and... itll sit, all the parameters the same, for next year... to begin again really fine tuning it down to what id like to see .... basically i only gun my stuff a few times a year.... and attitude wise... ill bring my best effort to any race.... if, i get beat.... i have work to do.... fun... Mike

Back