boat paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron westman

It's time to paint my mv after i repaired it from the crash .I would like to know what type of paint to use .? and what step to take between base coat and clear . I went to a local body shop ,they wanted $300 to paint it .no way that is going to happen and the auto parts store wanted 140 $ for the clear coat alone . so what is the most economical way to get a good paint job ?.

well its not the best in the world but you can poof can it, it will work

100_0162.jpg

100_0163.jpg

this was a spray can job done in a day, it worked but probably not going to stand up for a long time.

i sanded mine down with 200grt then primed sanded again primed sanded then applied color..

not sure if that's how your "supposed" to do it but it worked ;)

It's time to paint my mv after i repaired it from the crash .I would like to know what type of paint to use .? and what step to take between base coat and clear . I went to a local body shop ,they wanted $300 to paint it .no way that is going to happen and the auto parts store wanted 140 $ for the clear coat alone . so what is the most economical way to get a good paint job ?.
How much clear are trying to buy? Because the surface area is so small on our boats, all you need is a spot clear. I like to use Omni AU MC 260 but I'm sure there are plenty of other brands that will work just fine, and I think it was $40 for a quart with hardener. As far as the painting goes, you can pick up a cheap hvlp gun set for $40- 50 with a large gun and a door jam gun which works perfect. Also check with a few different parts stores and see if they have any mis-mixed paints, the colors are usually quite nice and they sell them off for cheep. It might pay for you to practice a little and teach yourself how to spray with a gun, the possibilities are endless once you learn how.

thats looks really cool for rattle can paints!

I am in the process of prepping my boat for some paint. Not doing primer just sanding with 200 grit then 400 grit. Paint that I am using is pretty versatile and the guy said that the primer was optional... we shall see... If it doesnt work out I have enough paint for like 5 boats :p

I will look around some more or i might pop down to the states , it 'll be alot cheaper down there now our dollar has climed up to 90+ cents again . I'll price out this spot clear .

thanks

Byron, I had a very hard time finding small amounts of clear as most places, no scratch that ALL places around me only sold it by the quart. Thats the reason I went with a Single-Stage paint system for my paint job.

got 3 pints (yellow, blue and black) hardener, reducer, Primer reducer (to clean out the gun), tape, sand paper, etc for around $80( Canadian :p )

Single stage buffs out nice and shiny. The stuff I bought is resistant to things like oil, gasoline and coolent. The auto paint store didnt really know about NITRO but did say it is pretty tough.. I will be able to let you know in a month or so when I put the paint on :)

KlassKote is a single stage paint that is VERY tough if you want to check that out as well.

has anyone tryed faskolor rc air brush paint ,it's for lexan bodies but also includes fibre glass on the bottle .I ask because it is flexable so you would not a get stress cracks and if coated it with a good clear coat it would be strong and fuel proof ?

An alternative for you Bryan.....

Google Welle Automotive (Minneapolis MN - Columbia Heights store). I was in the same boat as you earlier this yr. A fellow boater took me to them. Turns out they put 2 part auto paint into special spray cans..... You can get the primer... color and clear coat from them this way.

The spray cans have the standard nozzle on top, but on the bottom they have a pin/plunger and the can comes with a fitting for depressing this pin/plunger. So the two part stays as two parts until you mix them by depressing the pin/plunger.... Then shake up the can well and your good to shoot.... tho you have a limited "potlife" once mixed. Cost was about $20 for each step (primer/color/clearcoat) - totaled about $75. I just brought in the PPG color code I wanted and walked out all ready to paint.

Back