BM GEN-4 Flow meter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmazor

Dear boaters! Unfortunately I'm not nitro lower and need some info from you.

How often you charge flow meter battery?

Thanks. Boris

I have only charged mine once in the 2 months I have had it. I asked this question before too. Looks like very long battery life so far.

Out of habit from years of RC car racing, I have been charging mine every time I go running. I guess its not really necessary being the air pump voltage is regulated. I will say I have nothing but good things to say about my Boris meter. Needle settings are very consistent from heat to heat.

Out of habit from years of RC car racing, I have been charging mine every time I go running. I guess its not really necessary being the air pump voltage is regulated. I will say I have nothing but good things to say about my Boris meter. Needle settings are very consistent from heat to heat.
The voltage regulator keeps 5 V on pump with battery voltage from 7 to 26 Volt. I do not you run flow meter if battery lower 11 Volt to save battery from deep discharge. Boris

Last edited by a moderator:
Also a r/c car enthusiast, I charge mine with a Dynamite LiPo charger. LiPo's do not like to be stored at full charge, or over discharged, so my procedure for a race or test session is:

1. Charge to full capacity for use

2. Use this great tool at the pond

3. Before storing for the week I run "storage" cycle on my Dynamite charger to discharge slightly (@400Mah)

4. Store with battery unplugged from the meter to insure no unintended accidental over discharge(LiPo's can and do catch fire the next charge after an over discharge)

6 heats with three boats, flowing pre and post each heat uses less than 100Mah for the weekend, so with the supplied 1450Mah LiPo, I would think months between charges could suffice. (LiPo's have minimum self discharge)

I'll check the voltage before going to the race, maybe charge it, maybe not. Never had a problem with the voltage reading below 12 volts. Great tool, can't live without it.

Hi from the UK, I have seen mention flow meters before on the forum, please elaborate on there use, at present I am guessing they are for setting the main needle in a measured fassion ?

Hi from the UK, I have seen mention flow meters before on the forum, please elaborate on there use, at present I am guessing they are for setting the main needle in a measured fassion ?
Hi, Tony! You are right. Boris

I guess you can set the low speed needle also, do you use the throttle stop as a reference point ?
boaters do not use low speed needle,in most cases it is removed.carb is opened fully and flow checked with the boris meter,and main or remote needle is adjusted

Steve, many of us in the NW run the OS 9B carb with a LSN on our .67s. I know all four of mine have the LSN still in use

I would think it would be hard to get an accurate reading on the low speed needle because of the varying bore opening at 1/2 throttle and under? I suppose if you knew of a guy who had a good running scale who could troll up to the line, you could make a feeler type of guage or plug that allowed the carb to close down on it and have the same carb opening for all OS 9B carbs and then take the reading and adjust to the guy with the good setting, as long as all other variables were constant. Might get you close but thats it.

I would think it would be hard to get an accurate reading on the low speed needle because of the varying bore opening at 1/2 throttle and under? I suppose if you knew of a guy who had a good running scale who could troll up to the line, you could make a feeler type of guage or plug that allowed the carb to close down on it and have the same carb opening for all OS 9B carbs and then take the reading and adjust to the guy with the good setting, as long as all other variables were constant. Might get you close but thats it.
Don't even try to get proper reading of HSN with not full open throttle! The LSN is different animal. Boris

I Have used the Boris meter to set the LSN. On boats I have only used the LSN on OS9b and Aquacraft Vegas carb. I set it to just raise the number slightly when the throttle is at idle. Then as Boris said, you must make sure the throttle is open to measure the HSN.

On .12 car motors, the Boris meter is great!!! You can see the transition from from LSN to HSN. Once I found the best LSN I could adjust the HSN and then correct the LSN back to the baseline.

I Have used the Boris meter to set the LSN. On boats I have only used the LSN on OS9b and Aquacraft Vegas carb. I set it to just raise the number slightly when the throttle is at idle. Then as Boris said, you must make sure the throttle is open to measure the HSN.

On .12 car motors, the Boris meter is great!!! You can see the transition from from LSN to HSN. Once I found the best LSN I could adjust the HSN and then correct the LSN back to the baseline.
This is exactly I mention in earlier manual. Boris

Steve, many of us in the NW run the OS 9B carb with a LSN on our .67s. I know all four of mine have the LSN still in use
I run a 9b on my seducer 40,with a purple head cmb 45,sans low speed needle. I know that there are a lot of scale boaters that use the low needle,because they come to the line slow,unlike rigger and mono drivers,who come to the line wfo. even so,none of our boats bog without the low needle

Back