Blazzin .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok the next few questions are as follows :) If I up my Nitro how will my needles have to change and will I have to change both of them? Why wouldn't I go with less shims, I could probably come down to .006 ? And how will carb adjustments need to be changed when I put a muffler on? The manufacturer states that this engine runs hotter than most they say its best running temp is 300+, I don't see that possible with the water cooled head but just giving all the info I can (Traxxas TRX .15).

Thanks Again I need all the Help I can get,

Paul

:)

No they are not the same boat, from what I was told. The blazzin is a plan build and the FF is a kit build, I am not quite sure how to state the differences but there are differences. Here is a pic of a FF (with the flames) next to a blazzin, these are unfinished boats but the hulls give you an idea. Actually I think the blazzin was out first, and the FF was designed so it could be kit form (don't quote me on this). In comparison to the bantam I really cant say, I haven't even seen a bantam except for pics. In all honesty alot of the boats are really similar and its really a matter of setup that determines the better boat (thats my opinion).

Paul

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...cat=0&pos=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the next few questions are as follows :) If I up my Nitro how will my needles have to change and will I have to change both of them? Why wouldn't I go with less shims, I could probably come down to .006 ? And how will carb adjustments need to be changed when I put a muffler on? The manufacturer states that this engine runs hotter than most they say its best running temp is 300+, I don't see that possible with the water cooled head but just giving all the info I can (Traxxas TRX .15).

Thanks Again I need all the Help I can get,

Paul

:)
You would fatten it up on the HS for higher nitro. As far as bringing the ehad clearance down it may be too much for that motor and cause detonation. I would say try it and just pay close attention to you plug and piston dome. As far as the muffler goes you shouldnt need to make much adjustment.

Zach

Yeah, that sucks. they are pretty bad. I tried taken them out tonight and they just wouldn't move and the wrench just stripped them, I actually stripped 3 wrenches trying. So you are saying just drill the heads off, remove the head and then just turn them out with a wrench?

Thanks

Paul
i have run into slight differences in metric allen sizes. seems store bought(domestically produced?) allen screws and wrenches aren't exactly the same as kit parts(foriegn made?). a lot of times my snap-on allens won't fit, and will strip the head, while the 'cheap' wrenches you get in a rtr trype kit fit perfect. i never throw a tool away, the minor differences can be huge on very small screws. don't be afraid to try every allen wrench you own, you might find the same size 'right' one. glad it was an easy fix :) .

Yes I have noticed the difference in sizes also and yes I save every wrench :)

Ok my boat is running pretty good, it could be better but I cant expect the world from a Traxxas engine. My newest question will be, I am using a hitec hs55 for a throttle servo. Well I have toasted 2 so far and i think its just from water getting into the radio box, when I re-did my on/off switch i didn't make sure I was still water tight and got a little water in the radio box. But that amount of water I guess was enough to toast the servo, is there a servo real close in size that would work better than the hs55? I will re-seal the box so I get no water in but I am really considering getting a better servo. My hs85mg is doing great for the rudder. My boat is doing about 40mph which is pretty go and is doing circles around my buddies RTR shockwave 36 and handling his wakes is not a problem.

Thanks Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
HS81 makes a real good throttle servo. I]'ve used them for a long time with no problem.

Yes I have noticed the difference in sizes also and yes I save every wrench :)
Ok my boat is running pretty good, it could be better but I cant expect the world from a Traxxas engine. My newest question will be, I am using a hitec hs55 for a throttle servo. Well I have toasted 2 so far and i think its just from water getting into the radio box, when I re-did my on/off switch i didn't make sure I was still water tight and got a little water in the radio box. But that amount of water I guess was enough to toast the servo, is there a servo real close in size that would work better than the hs55? I will re-seal the box so I get no water in but I am really considering getting a better servo. My hs85mg is doing great for the rudder. My boat is doing about 40mph which is pretty go and is doing circles around my buddies RTR shockwave 36 and handling his wakes is not a problem.

Thanks Paul

The hitec servos seem to not like vibration. The tip I got from Mike Z seems to work good. Use the airplane rudder horns like the picture below. This worked for me.

The FireFighter .12 was designed to be a boat that would work great for most every one. It is designed to be fast, stable and reliable. It can take pull starters and a standard not frills motor mount and hardware. The Blazzin .12 started as a boat I wanted to submit to r/c boat modeler but never really got it ready. The concept for the Blazzin .12 is to try to squeeze as much performance out of a regular .12 engine as possible(not .15, .18 engines). It is best with a custom motor mount and .12 specific hardware. Not really enough room for a pull start. It is a pure heat race design.

DSCF0096.JPG

Thanks Anthony, Thanks Tom.

Ok the hs81 is a little big for my mount, and I guess I could change the mount to the style you are showing Tom and use the hs81 servo. Is there a better servo brand like futaba or something that could handle vibration better and is really small? I would like to go back and test again tomorrow.

Paul

Paul, I had a leaking radio box that drove me crazy. I tried everything to find it(floated it in the bath tub and other body of water). I finally emptyed the box itself and then filled it with water and BAM there it was, about a 5 min fix. Try filling the box to the top and look for water tring to get out instead of getting in. It worked for me. Ryon Shaw

i like the servo mount idea, pretty cool idea. i posted this on another thread, maybe it will help you. get a tampon/tampax, put the largest piece you can fit in your radio box. they are made to absorb a LOT of moisture/liquid :rolleyes: , and work much better than paper towels or cotton to keep the box dry. hopefully you're married, so you can steal one from your wife, and don't have to go to the store to buy them :lol: . sounds kinda gay, i know, but it really works great.

Diapers do the same thing. If you have a local science store look fo a dry chemical dessicant thats what they contain to make the so absorbent. Or just get your wife to pick you up a box of maxi's LOL

Zach

The water problem I am pretty sure was when I took the on/off switch out to replace it because of failure, I didn't secure it well enough (that problem should be taken care of). Now the servo issue I believe was just a cheap hs55 servo, brand new the servo would buzz. Today I got a hs65hb, I hope this servo works alot better. If not I will be replacing my servo mounting system and going with a better servo yet (just a reminder this is a throttle servo for a .12 engine).

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice :)

Paul

The water problem I am pretty sure was when I took the on/off switch out to replace it because of failure, I didn't secure it well enough (that problem should be taken care of). Now the servo issue I believe was just a cheap hs55 servo, brand new the servo would buzz. Today I got a hs65hb, I hope this servo works alot better. If not I will be replacing my servo mounting system and going with a better servo yet (just a reminder this is a throttle servo for a .12 engine).

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice :)

Paul
Hey Paul,

When you put the new servo in does it buzz too? Juat wondering because alot of time a servo can be in a slight bind while at rest and it will xause this buzz you speak of. If so you need to change your mounting point because the small amount of fatigue it puts on the servo will cause premature failure.

Zach

I went out running tonight, winds where 15-20mph. Well boat ran really fast, was bouncing all over the place jumping waves. Did cartwheels on two occasions and landed upside down. One thing I did notice is I was slowing down where I knew the waves where the worst and occasionally the boat would completely fall of plane. It didn't always wanna come back on plane but the waves actually did help getting it back up, is this sorta normal? I am guessing I was easy doing 40+ based on the 39mph I was getting with the traxxas .15 , I did put the .12 back in and also replaced the rear bearing. I noticed the rear bearing was worn, probably from when I broke the connecting rod didn't get all the debris out (not really sure, but the surfaces the balls rolled on was pretty pitted). Tomorrow is suppose to be 5-10mph winds so I will go back out and try again, hope all goes as well as tonight.

Paul

Ohhh I did run the .15 this weekend at the oshkosh race, I didnt do very well. I need to learn the art of carb adjustments a little better, weather changes really messed me up (15 degree change from Friday to Saturday race day, and 10 degree changes during race day)

Well tonight went good and bad. My boat ran great I was consistently making passes at 45-47mph which I am happy with. The main problem I had was the carb stop screw kept coming loose, so every run I would have to reset it or it would fall out................. well it fell out now I gotta get a new one. Does anyone have problems with the carb stop screw loosening?

Thanks,

Paul

No never had one fall out before. Unless the threads go damaged. You are talking about the one that the barrel open for idle right?? I think I may have a screw or a carb for you if you dont find one.

Zach

Latest posts

Back