better late then never

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelbarnes

Paint is being prepped for paint as I type.

Changing from the stock red colour to a yellow and blue scheme.

Re-did the crappy plastic water tubing inside the boat and used aesthetically pleasing brass tubing in its place.

Trying to figure out a way to add some pink foam inside to increase the floatation of the boat (Swamped it bad a few times last year and barely made it to rescue it).

Removed the top portion of the wing (leaving the sides for now).

Was given a GO .18 engine so the stock PRB .18 is out.

Looking at doing some sort of sponson mod to the boat as well. Have an idea of "Steps" like people have been doing on the Miss Vegas boats.

None of the running hardware is stock. All break away parts.

Going to be running an Octura Y535 prop done by Mark Sholund (Props-4-U) - Great work, price, everything!

Uploading some pictures right now to post so I can show where I am with the prep work. Need to get some pictures of the rest of the parts, right now I only have photos of the hull and motor.

I will try and get some pics of what I am looking at doing for the sponsons.

OH! got rid of the stock electronics (Soaked and fried resulting in a run away boat :( ).

Now using JR XR3i radio system (it was a good price).

Got rid of the plastic cover used on the servo box and will be adding a rubber seal and plexiglass screw down lid.

I am so praying that everything works out :lol:

And here are some photos to get started

3478433230_c5e3a8988d.jpg

Had to patch a hole that I made... OOOPS!

3478365196_e3fcf39e67.jpg

3477551953_26bdc62c74.jpg

Watertube running through the boat

3478422890_937abca810.jpg

Water inlet from rudder

3477605181_087dd6cd9d.jpg

Water Outlet

3477620009_775acc037c.jpg

Old engine --> New engine

3478406816_11e4b014eb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Micheal,

do you have pics of the plexi top. Were did you place the screws.

I also have been considering sponson mods on mine, any ideas on the rear sponson mod?

Boat looks good, nice mods.

Doug

I will take some pictures tonight of what I am doing with the screws to hold down the plexi glass (the new switch is also mounted to it).

I have some wood cut for the front sponsons. I will tape them on the boat and take some pics so people can see what I am thinking (Feedback is always welcome).

I will take some pictures tonight of what I am doing with the screws to hold down the plexi glass (the new switch is also mounted to it).
I have some wood cut for the front sponsons. I will tape them on the boat and take some pics so people can see what I am thinking (Feedback is always welcome).
looks good man.. keep up the good work.. if you need any spare proboat parts i have a ton of good new spares im not using anymore.. lmk

terry

Micheal,
do you have pics of the plexi top. Were did you place the screws.

I also have been considering sponson mods on mine, any ideas on the rear sponson mod?

Boat looks good, nice mods.

Doug
Here the idea on the rear sponson mods..I did my Oberto2 like the real one.. The sponsons mods groves cutouts center dubble V.. But the sponsons mods I did everything in reverse. because the real version goes counter clock wise and ours goes clock wise..the center sponson runner are removeable to try different groves and styles..in the pic I'd only had one screw holding each runners.Now theres two screw holding them in..I'll post new pic of it tomarrow. This pic was before I'd cleared it..
gallery_3638_682_11458.jpg

My idea for the front sponsons.. They would be sanded down so there is no gap in the middle, more of a step design and obviously the front would be sanded down so it had a nice slope to it

3488687269_4bce89fb49.jpg

3488692397_9dd7025ce8.jpg

3489516886_0e87fe3748.jpg

Plexiglass cover

3489520644_6e40fcf3cd.jpg

3488709555_c124cbc027.jpg

Boat mocked up with screws for plexi glass cover. Tested it with the nuts under and screwing into them but found the reverse to be sturdier. I have small little metal squares cut that the screws go through (cant see it in the pictures) that will be epoxied in to make the screws permanent. (Rubber washers are only there to hold the screws)

3488714393_8c2e8801ee.jpg

Cover on

3488719737_edd9f06e29.jpg

Nuts holding it down

3488725061_50fb8b161a.jpg

Close-up of plexi lid and switch

3488735187_98b2e0538e.jpg

The rubber gasket isn't in the pictures because I am still working on that piece (not ready)

How does that boat respond to the hull mods?
was you asking me?? Havent ran it yet.. still waiting to findout about the U-1.. there changing things again /like alittle paint changes and decials..plus I'm trying to find out what other sponcers decials I'm missing.. I just met a guy on RCU that lives close to the madison garage.. He's going to try to get me new pics of it..So I can get the sponcers decials on it and put the urethane crossfire clear on it and shes will be ready to do some test runs..Plus that hull has funtional rear wing and front spoiler/canard..

I know I know.. SHOW THE PICS

I just put down a few coats of yellow... sitting in the garage right now curing :)

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them up to show my progress...

My goal is to have the blue and black on before next Tuesday ^_^ want it in the water soooo bad!

Please tell me you're not going to use that radio switch like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would be better off having the switch fully inside the radio box and use a pushrod to move it. The way you have it now is asking for a complete radio failure and a runaway boat due to water intrusion both around AND THROUGH THE SWITCH

You would be better off having the switch fully inside the radio box and use a pushrod to move it. The way you have it now is asking for a complete radio failure and a runaway boat due to water intrusion both around AND THROUGH THE SWITCH

i run a switch like that never had a problem, and not only is it a toggle like that it is on the transom of a rigger, must me lucky i guess.

i run a switch like that never had a problem, and not only is it a toggle like that it is on the transom of a rigger, must me lucky i guess.
I have that on one of my boats..as it looks no proublem too.

its all done and painted.. I guess not bad for my first ever attempt at using HVLP sprayers :)

Took it out this past weekend at the cottage (took awhile to get the new motor running).

Flipped it a few and soaked the switch... no problems :)

Decided after to put a rubber boot over the switch just to be safe.

I have pictures but cannot find my card reader to upload them... lovely $2000 camera with great photos put to a screeching halt because I cannot locate a $10 part... insanity.

Back