Best way to keep servos waterproof?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrotoys

My tunnel really dont have a sealed radio box, just keep receiver in sealed box. How do you keep the servos from getting soaked? and if they do get wett how to dry them and keep them working?

thanks all

The best way is to make or configure your radio box so that the servos will not get wet. Any boat that has a radio box that allows any part of the radio system to get wet needs to be re-thought.

Corrosion X, should need to be used only in the rare case that your RC box gets damaged from a crash and your radio gets wet.

This is one of the reasons that I haven't run my Pro Boat BUD. I wont run it, either until I'm sure that it will not leak.

Hammer

I've been using Aeroplate from Aerotrend. I am doing a project boat for another site and it doesn't have a radio box. The first time out I flipped the boat getting the reciever wet and it wouldn't work. I had already put Aeroplate in the servos so they were Okay. I opened the reciever, sprayed some in being careful not to get any on the connections, put it together and it worked! It's about the price of a cheap servo for a bottle and will do a lot of equipment. I wish that I had bought some years ago, it would have saved me the price of a lot of servos and recievers that I've fried!

Some people over on Jim's R/C Boat Dock have been using Corrosion X in their gas boats with no radio boxes except for the reciever and have had no problems.

Most LHS's can get Aeroplate if they sell Aerotrend products, the guys at mine didn't even know what it was!

Hey Ron,

where can i get that aeroplate at??? LHS does not carry it. Can i get it on web some where??

Please let me know.

Hey tell me about your little project boat

Thanks

Ron and Hammer

for the info.

Nitro go to www.Aerotrend.com for the aeroplate its worth 5 times the money!! My radio box setup includes spraying the servos and the reciever with Aeroplate, putting the reciever inside a balloon and just in case some water gets in put a tampon inside. I learned this from guys who have been racing for 20 years . Hope this helps you out 8) 8) 8)

Usually they can get it if they carry Aerotrend products. Aerotrend also makes tuned pipe couplings and clamps among their products. See if they can possibly get Corrosion X or The Stuph. There is one other brand but I can't think of it off hand.

If you want to see the review, go to:

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/sho...threadid=105821

I cover the reciever with disposable baby bottle liners, they are cheap for a box of them. I've heard of condoms being used also. Condoms and Tampons in my tool box, I don't think so! My wife would be asking too many questions! ;D

??? Is there a special way to apply corrsion X, or do you just spray it on and let it dry? Also how long after your radio equment got wet do you need to apply if its never been treated? My boat flipped yesterday, and water entered my radio box, and I did not have this at the time. Every thing still seems to wok after letting it dry over night. Just wondering how much damage was done? :-

Thanks again.

Andy Slaviero

Andy from my experiences you need to take the servos apart and dry them with a heatgun or a hair dryer. If not there will be moisture still in the case and motor !! Turn your servos upside down to where the splined shaft for the servo arm is the lowest point there will be water dripping out still around the shaft .

Dry them with the dryer and then spray , you have to take them apart to spray them anyway !!! Just pay attention to how the gears come out !! So you can put them back .

P.S. FIX YOUR RADIO BOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...put them in a balloon. It's really easy to do, and is 100% effective. Its also super-flexible...so you can put your control horn on right overtop of the balloon.

The balloons I have now say 'Happy Birthday'....but I just turn 'em inside out before using them.

I have done this for years...never had a prob. Last year, I sank a boat, and even after being submerged for 20 mins, the servos were perfectly dry and operational afterwards.

You can do the same thing for your receiver.

Has anyone used CRC 2-26 spray ??

It's cheaper than the others but does the same thing !!! It says to spray on non energized and let dry for 4 to 6 hours befor energizing , makes all surfaces impervious to moisture and corrosion . $ 3.93 a 11 oz can at Lowes .

Back