Attempting to idle an OPS 90

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKCS

Installed an inline needle valve, and have the spitting of fuel out the tailpipe under control. But the darn thing still won't run when you remove the glow starter.

I have installed three new glow plugs and still same thing. Then after a few runs in the stand, the engine is now getting warm to the touch (it wasn't before) and then it races off the deep end and I remove the glow starter and it dies.

I start the water running to keep her cool, and it still won't run without the glow starter attached.

Is there a large difference from the long, med and the short glow plugs?

Seems to be a booger to get this 90 to idle. I really can't wait to get back to Norfolk and ask to for some one on one help.

Not gonna place back in the salt water over here, so I wait and place her in the non-salt water when I reach home. For the guys in Houston or Dallas I might get a chance to swing up and ask you fellows what ya think before I head off to Norfolk.

Well, if you all have some insight, sure could use it. What do you all think about the amount of turns for the inline needle for an all around setting?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Beryl I think you have multiple problems going on there. You'll be back in the States soon and when you are there will be lots of help for you. Run some WD 40 thru that baby and pack it away until somebody with experience can see your whole setup and administer some advice and help. I know you are excited to run it but it's dificult to come up with a solution without being in a hands on situation. Hope to see you in Chesapeake in the future with that OPS 90 Screaming!

Take care,

Scott Norris

Charlotte, NC

If you run in saltwater, don't forget to flush out the water jacket and rudder water pickup with WD40. Saltwater and aluminum can result in corrosion.

I race only in the salt water. I just hit the whole boat with a hose after the day and then do the motor maintance. I pay special attention to the cooling system by shooting the hose past the pickup and flushing it. No salt related problems here. Also pull out the cable, dry it and re-grease it.

I think I will do the preservation for the shipment back to the states. Once back on American soil I will look to the professionals in Norfolk. Going to ship in with household goods, so it should be an easy ship.

Will flush everything and pack it up, if I keep messing around it might end up with a trashed motor or something else.

See ya all,

Beryl

Back