ATRA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

Hydro-Prop is out with 4 Unlimited Hydroplane cities. Evansville, Pasco, Seattle and San Diego have formed a new racing division. American ThunderBoat Racing Assocation

27' Piston Engine Racing Hydroplanes

Hi Steve, this sounds really exciting! ;D Will the piston boats run at the same races with the unlimiteds? Are they allowing the Allisons & Merlins?

I searched, but couldn't find any links.

The Unlimiteds will be dead as we know it since they will not have enough race sites to compete. It's going to be Automotive engines. Hydro-Prop is being forced out.

Hi Steve, this sounds really exciting! ;D Will the piston boats run at the same races with the unlimiteds? Are they allowing the Allisons & Merlins?

I searched, but couldn't find any links.

Oh, I get it, I thought you meant that Hydro Prop was introducing a new class. Are there any links on this new series? I would have liked to have seen the aircraft engines myself.

So Evansville, Seattle and San Diego will not be hosting an unlimited race in 2004?

I'm trying to figure it out too Dan.

I just checked Hydro Prop and they list

Evansville, IN June 25 - 27

Madison, IN July 2 - 4

Detroit, MI July 15 - 18

Tri-Cities, WA July 23 - 25

Seattle, WA August 6 - 8

St. Clair, Michigan August 20 - 22

San Diego, CA Sept 17 - 19

With Pending Sites:

Bay Harbor, Michigan

Sanford, Florida

Owensboro, Kentucky

I know that last year they put up a sweet little reward for the first team to win with Auto power.

Steve, what is ATRA? I did a search and came up with a bunch of sites about razors?

Are these full size unlimiteds with Automotive piston engines, Aircraft pistons or the smaller Unlimited lights or similar?

I've been out of the loop for a while and don't know what is going on these days with the big boats.

What I have heard is that Evansville, San Diego, Pasco and Seattle will not be Hydro-Prop races in 2004. Will they race all new boats?, most likly not.

8 out of 10 teams do not want Hydro-Prop running the show.

Only time will tell if it's true. There are no websites or info.

Thanks for the heads up Steve, I've got a few people I can talk to. I'll report back.

Dick

Steve,

I talked to someone who was just at the unlimited meeting in Las Vegas. As you mentioned, nobody was too happy with Hydro Prop. He also said he hadn't heard what you had mentioned either, but to stay tuned, whatever that means?

Maybe they are going to Join NAMBA!

History suggests that the best solution will come if teams which run under an organisation, they are unhappy with, force change from within. Then they own the solution and loyalty and often flexibility 0 the key to long term success - increases

Splits might suit impatient dissenters but when they simply replicate the existing organisation they only serve to weaken the sport.

It's great to see the ULHRA getting some bite. Now.. Bring 'em east!

As far as Hydro-Prop, they're not doing anything different than the France's with NASCAR, Bernie Ecclestone with F-1, or any other top level race series promoter. Sometimes the teams don't have the best view of the big picture.

Advance_United said:
It's great to see the ULHRA getting some bite. Now.. Bring 'em east!
As far as Hydro-Prop, they're not doing anything different than the France's with NASCAR, Bernie Ecclestone with F-1, or any other top level race series promoter. Sometimes the teams don't have the best view of the big picture.
I look for HP to go belly up.....

I don't disagree that Unlimiteds are on life support. They've been there for some time. Boat racing has been the domain of wealthy sportsmen and those with a particular passion but has never really made the transition to a professional motorsport. It takes a ton of money to run the things. I do think, though, that the current boats are awesome racing machines.

Blown big-blocks are really cool. The GP's put on some of the best boat racing I have ever seen.

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

Here here. Who can say anything about something you see 100 feet away. That makes your ears tingle, the hair on the back of your neck stand up, your blood pressure increases, fists clinched as you cheer for more. Awesome acceleration, beautiful white roostertails. It is the most spectacular combination of raw power and gracefulness that you could ever imagine. Hydroplane Racing is something in the blood. You feel it or you won't. You can't learn to like them.

Geez - "I hate snow!"

Unlimited hydro racing has made some bad decisions over the years.

Long before Hydro-Prop was involved, they made the decision to stretch the racing out over two days. Bad decision.

It might be better for patching together boats with minor damage rather than having them drop out of the race. But, for the fans, I think it is terrible.

It would be equivalent to playing the first half of the Super Bowl on Saturday and the second half on Sunday.

Or, better yet, driving the first 250 miles of Daytona on Sat, and the last 250 miles on Sunday.

KW

It is unfortunate that nearly all of the important racing action from an Unlimited race weekend can readily be condensed into a 1 hr television show.

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

I remained suprised that the unlimiteds dont go interntional. Extending a series to europe should provide more opportunites for sponsors and spectators.

Latest posts

Back