Anyone run a sport 40 hydro with gasoline power

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesbon

So, after helping a friend tile his house today, he offered me a fiberglass sport 40 hydro instead of cash. Being the boat fanatic that I am, I gladly accepted this righteous looking un-rigged beauty. Neither of us know who manufactured her, but she appears to be a true "Miss Bud." type looking hydro. (different cowl though)

I don't intend to race or anything and like gasoline powered stuff due to the lack of support equipment that typically accompanies it. That brings me to my next question, is there a small gasoline powerplant out there suitable for a 40 size hydroplane? When I say small I mean something compact and lightweight, not necessarily small cubes...

I don't know is you will find one small enough to fit inside a sport 40. What are the dimentions of the boat, and how much room do you have for an engine? The smallest gas engine I have seen is a 18cc leaf blower, but I don't think it will fit ether. There are smaller gas engines out there, but very expensive!

The smallest gas engine with any amount of punch is the Zenaoh - either the G23, G231, or G260 (all followed by the designation PUM, which is the marine engine). They weigh about 3.5 lbs and put out from 2 to 5 hp depending on state of tune. It would be a job to put one in a 1/8th scale hydro, the 40 hul would be too small. Even the 18cc weed eater engine would be heavier and larger than the Zenoah.

Here is a picture of a supersport 45 with Z260 gas engine The boat is 36 x21.

it runs close to 80mph we call it the sport40 Drag Boat

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an Italian company called Compagnucci that makes a .40 size engine that can run od nitro fuel or on gasoline. They use it in a large scale r/c car.

"Haven't seen that one yet. Someone needs to have a serious talk with Dean W. and Kenny H.

Rich "

Reminds me of when I put a modded CMB 90 in 36" Aeromarine Sprintcat. She was fast alright, would do a "water wheelie" whenever you pulled the trigger........... :p :p

Phil's sport-40 hull is a little bigger than the one I had.

The SAW record for LS-27 in a hydro is in the mid 80's, Phil. Maybe you ought to go after that with yours!

Mike T. said:
Phil's sport-40 hull is a little bigger than the one I had.
The SAW record for LS-27 in a hydro is in the mid 80's, Phil. Maybe you ought to go after that with yours!
Thats not my boat, i have enough problems with normal boats. Dean may try agian for a record speed.

I've seen a few gas hydros that would dunk their noses when the power was chopped. I suppose that's something you could expect with a gas engine in a 1/8th scale or sport-40 sized hull. You might have to launch it planing and keep it hot until it was right back to shore.

Back