Any clubs near Minneapolis

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Twin Cities model boat club has a pond in a suburb of Minneapolis located roughly 3 miles south of the Mall of America. In recent years the pond is unusable most of the summer because of weeds and the club is dwindling. Some of us have been testing at a pond in western Wisconsin that is about an hours drive east of downtown Minneapolis.

Rick’s Hobby Farm
1439 WI-65, New Richmond, WI 54017

There is a 1/8 scale off-road car track and an air strip for RC planes on the same property.

The Twin Cities model boat club has a pond in a suburb of Minneapolis located roughly 3 miles south of the Mall of America. In recent years the pond is unusable most of the summer because of weeds and the club is dwindling. Some of us have been testing at a pond in western Wisconsin that is about an hours drive east of downtown Minneapolis.
Greg,
I have family that had weed problems in their farm ponds/lakes here in Michigan, the Michigan State University extension service suggested putting a layer of hay on the ice in the winter, when the ice melts the hay sinks to the bottom and generates a growth of plankton. The plankton shields the weeds from the sun so they don’t grow to the surface. You might check with the University of Minnesota Extension Service to see if that’s still viable instead of chemicals. I think it would be a much easier way to try to get approval from who ever owns the pond.
John

to kill the weeds chemically, you have to put a large amount of industrial copper sulphate but it is expensive
What copper sulphate is used for?

Résultat de recherche d'images pour industrial copper sulphate
Copper sulfate is used as a fungicide, algaecide, root killer, and herbicide in both agriculture and non-agricultural settings. It is also used as an antimicrobial and molluscicide. Uses for individual products containing copper sulfate vary widely.

Last edited:
At our original Detroit club pond ( Blue Heron Lagoon) on Belle Isle we actually strung long heavy chain and walked and pulled the chain through the weeds to shore. Lot of work but it cleaned it up enough to test and race.

I have raced with the TCMBC for almost 30 years.. the pond they are using has always had some weeds.. some years better then others. I know they have tried MANY treatments.. and LOTS of HARD WORK to get it all done.. but the location of the pond and the feed into the pond.. has proven to be a huge challenge. When raceable its a very nice pond.

Grim

to kill the weeds chemically, you have to put a large amount of industrial copper sulphate but it is expensive
What copper sulphate is used for?

Résultat de recherche d'images pour industrial copper sulphate'images pour industrial copper sulphate
Copper sulfate is used as a fungicide, algaecide, root killer, and herbicide in both agriculture and non-agricultural settings. It is also used as an antimicrobial and molluscicide. Uses for individual products containing copper sulfate vary widely.
The TCMBC
pond is located within the boundaries of the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Back around 2009 or 10 the club president contacted the Minnesota DNR about controlling the weeds. The state biologist that surveyed the pond, determined that the weeds were beneficial to filtering the water as it flows through the pond before entering the Minnesota River. The state sent a letter to the club stating quite clearly that no chemical treatment was allowed. I was Vice President of the club at that time, and President in 2012. I held the letter in my hand and read it to the membership at several meetings, when discussions about controlling the weeds came up. There have been controlling members of the club since that time that deny that letter ever existed. Whether or not they chose to ignore the ruling and treat the pond is anyones guess. I moved out of the area in 2015.

Understand I was gone from the area for 10 years but this is the first time I have herd this.. Thanks Larry for posting that.

Grim

Blue Beaver pond, Chippewa falls..... open to all, all are welcome..

Latest posts

Back