any 1/8 MissBuds out there

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopartybob

Howdy y'all, might as well get this one started...lol... those who own one already know about the bad COG,(30-35mph blo-over's)..... <_< ...fooey, after adding heela weight to the front canard (25-30 Oz.) I was able to keep it on the water but still not too impressed with the MissDud, I then tweaked the rear wing down about 15*- ,and she ran too wet...HHmmm, after peeling off about 25 Oz. she was just about trimmed right,here's a vid. on her a-runnin.... http://www.vimeo.com/605591 ,I currently added front fixed spoilers and reduced the rear wing AOA to -5*, will post vid. of that soon.... but all in all,while some don't advocate extreme tweaking of the wing, it does keep it from blowin-off and WOT runs are now enjoyable..... :lol:

IMG_0455.JPG

Howdy y'all, might as well get this one started...lol... those who own one already know about the bad COG,(30-35mph blo-over's)..... <_< ...fooey, after adding heela weight to the front canard (25-30 Oz.) I was able to keep it on the water but still not too impressed with the MissDud, I then tweaked the rear wing down about 15*- ,and she ran too wet...HHmmm, after peeling off about 25 Oz. she was just about trimmed right,here's a vid. on her a-runnin.... http://www.vimeo.com/605591 ,I currently added front fixed spoilers and reduced the rear wing AOA to -5*, will post vid. of that soon.... but all in all,while some don't advocate extreme tweaking of the wing, it does keep it from blowin-off and WOT runs are now enjoyable..... :lol:
Have you ever thought on making the front spoiler work like the scale hydros'??

yup-yup...shore did,I wanted to first see how effective the fixed spoilers were,will run it like that till no'mo can be squeeeezed out of her then i'll add the throttle-actuated spoilers...

Hate to rain on your parade, but in general, throttle controlled canards do not work. If you get hit with a sudden gust, you either have to slow down or speed up to make the canards work, neither of which is a good thing. Speeding up will just increase the chance of blowing over due to more air under the boat while slowing down can drop the transom, inducing a blow over. If you want to control the canards, use a dedicated channel for them, preferably with a stick radio so you can use the trim on thaat channel to adjust the canard angle

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to rain on your parade, but in general, throttle controlled canards do not work. If you get hit with a sudden gust, you either have to slow down or speed up to make the canards work, neither of which is a good thing. Speeding up will just increase the chance of blowing over due to more air under the boat while slowing down can drop the transom, inducing a blow over. If you want to control the canards, use a dedicated channel for them, preferably with a stick radio so you can use the trim on thaat channel to adjust the canard angle
So a third channel car wheel controller wouldnt work on it? Plus is that how the scale guys are running theres?With stick controllers?

Dude! I don't have a gas scale but I do know you need to get rid of those wings you added. Then set the strut angle and depth where the manufacturer recommends. Or if you have gained some speed from the stock version you may want to set it no more than 1/8th deeper. Then, set the boat on a table without the turn fin prop and rudder. Set the top wing back to as close to neutral as possible. Also check to see if the strut is level or has a degree or 2 of down in the back. I'll bet if you do all that you will probably be taking that weight out of the nose.

LOL...... NOT to be RUDE.....but Dude,have YOU ever owned a Proboat....???? I see from your avatar ALOT of other cool boats, but a Proboat is an ENTIRELY different animal, and yes the hull was set-up as you mentioned, but the bad COG inherent to these (turds) makes it almost impossible to squeeze even 30mph out of it in "as you suggested" stock manufacturers trim, before blowin-off.... whilst the only "real" solution(preferred) is to relocate the engine forward 3-4", OR add 35 Oz. of lead to the front canard, OR dork with airfoils and wing adj. and keep ballast to a minimum =(5 oz.) as i have done, this boat can now run the loop pretty much WOT,and is a far cry from what it used to be,while I have only 400.00 dollars (total) invested into this boat,the value and experience of owning a Proboat have made it worthwhile to not make the same mistake twice, but I, along with others who already own this hull,need info disseminated down from others as to how to keep it on the water, with a minimum of lead, and some times some "out of the box" remedies. Thanks for your input,and if you REALLY want to help, POST pics of your 3rd channel operated front canard,( Ithink that was you)...if not, my bad,please excuse me

Mopartybob he has this 1/8 scale of the 07 Oberto tigershark That Joe froooo built for him..plus he has other 1/8 scales too.undefined I'm hoping to see it in celina in two weeks to check it out.

Oh,he HAD someone else build his boat for him...lucky guy....while those front spoilers ARE currently UGLY as hell,they ARE effective,and for those of us who are resigned to do our own mods.....this does work...NOW to find Joe Frooos and see if he's willing to post the set-up on the 3rd channel canard.....

Oh,he HAD someone else build his boat for him...lucky guy....while those front spoilers ARE currently UGLY as hell,they ARE effective,and for those of us who are resigned to do our own mods.....this does work...NOW to find Joe Frooos and see if he's willing to post the set-up on the 3rd channel canard.....
Mopartybob, Joe built the hull only. wesleys custom did the rest of the work on his own boat,that includes setting it up/motor radio and so on and the body& paint& graphic work too.Plus I bet he had some input on the hull build too. So guys lets be nice here. We're here on there boat sights to help& get ideas for each other and to have fun with ower boats! Oh bob those front spoiler is the same was owers too,its a comon style front spoilers

My apologies if I sounded rude or sarcastic,just not used to being referred to as "dude"....as far as the UGLY spoilers go, I was referring to mine.......lol

Wesleyscustom, I think mopartybob wanted to see how you scale guys have your front spoiler setup by servo or what? i would like to it also. I think we got some wires crossed here. I think everybody got started off on the wrong foot here.

Man, I didn't mean to offend you! I thought you wanted set up advise. I'll stay out of this one as I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Hey Wes, While I stated I appreciated your input, I'm sorry to say it's not all applicable to the 1/8 Miss Bud Proboat,I mean this thing is set-up so bad from the factory that current,established,and well known set-up advise as you have given, just does not apply......and as for my rude and sarcastic remarks,I did apologise,it's just that I'm used to being more cordial and respectful when first meeting someone or introducing my inputs into a thread.....those that know me,know this is true...

Man, I didn't mean to offend you! I thought you wanted set up advise. I'll stay out of this one as I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Hey Wes, While I stated I appreciated your input, I'm sorry to say it's not all applicable to the 1/8 Miss Bud Proboat,I mean this thing is set-up so bad from the factory that current,established,and well known set-up advise as you have given, just does not apply......and as for my rude and sarcastic remarks,I did apologise,it's just that I'm used to being more cordial and respectful when first meeting someone or introducing my inputs into a thread.....those that know me,know this is true...
i think you two need to get a room... lol, and it is true that proboats are about the worst handleing rtr boats on the market, but they also can be made to run, that is what makes this thread so good for all that watch and read it , later guys.

terry

i think you two need to get a room... lol, and it is true that proboats are about the worst handleing rtr boats on the market, but they also can be made to run, that is what makes this thread so good for all that watch and read it , later guys.

terry
your thoughts and inner desires should'nt be an intro either Mr. Moderator, (lol), but glad the rest of your post could remain objective...... :lol:

terry
your thoughts and inner desires should'nt be an intro either Mr. Moderator, (lol), but glad the rest of your post could remain objective...... :lol:
you are quite welcome sir..lol , and do you get your name from your love of mopar's or more party? just wondering, and have a great one.

"the terminator" :wacko:

BOTH reasons apply.... the moniker was given me by the car club I ran with in Bremerton,WA (ALL AROUND MOPARS) When we would meet at the Port Orchard A&W, it was reffered to as a MOPARty, and that we would do, ..... :rolleyes:

Actually Bob, it was me that was talking about a dedicated channel to operate the canard. There are several ways to set it up after you cut the canard loose and install pivots through the sponson insides.

If you plan on using push rods, you would probably need to either cut a hatch(or two) in the deck or pull one deck off to run hidden linkage, if keeping the linkage hidden is the plan. Option two would be to run a pushrod out the bottom of the cockpit and run it to an arm on the bottom of the canard. This would be easier if the radio box is in the cockpit instead of behind the engine. I'm planning on doing the hidden route when I get the plans to build my "Shark"

Actually Bob, it was me that was talking about a dedicated channel to operate the canard. There are several ways to set it up after you cut the canard loose and install pivots through the sponson insides. If you plan on using push rods, you would probably need to either cut a hatch(or two) in the deck or pull one deck off to run hidden linkage, if keeping the linkage hidden is the plan. Option two would be to run a pushrod out the bottom of the cockpit and run it to an arm on the bottom of the canard. This would be easier if the radio box is in the cockpit instead of behind the engine. I'm planning on doing the hidden route when I get the plans to build my "Shark"
I was thinking the linkage comming out of the nose tip and run it under the front spoiler center.

Back