Antenna mount

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aluminum or plastic water outlets are what i use. find the size you need & cut off the nipple where the water tubing would connect. drill a hole & mount it with the included nut. ca or epoxy the antenna tube in it, you may have to drill it out to fit your tube.

Better yet go DSM you dont need a antenna mount
The 2.4 spectrum is vertially polarized, meaning it's electric field is perpendicular to the earth's surface (do a Google search on vertical antenna polarization for a better understanding). In simple terms both the transmitting and recieving antenna should be as close to vertical as possible. The up side of 2.4 systems like Futaba's FASST is that only the last inch of the RX lead is the actual antenna so focus on getting that section in a vertical position (remember not to sharply bend the coax leader). Keep in mind that the 2.4 spectrum does have some reflectivity with water and while it does well penetrating wood and fiberglass it can have more difficulty with metal and carbon fiber so it's best to get that last one inch of the antenna coaxial lead above carbon lids and/or tuned pipes. While there may be instances where people are having no issues leaving the antenna laying in the box, I myself prefer to do any and all I can to insure optimum performance from my radio gear. These boats might be little but they can carry a big price tag, no need to add any potential risk to hurting one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don is spot on here. If your ok laying the antenae down go for it. How much trouble or cost is involved just glueing a short vertical straw, capped at the top in your radio box lid. Feed the antemae vertically as far as you can away from pipes obviously. Even an inch sticking out of the lid has to be better. Never too much overkill here. If horizontal works but it's designed to be vertical why would anyone take chances?

Mic

Most water tight method I have found is to use the AeroMarine antenna mast through the radio box cover.

I drill and tap the radio box cover to the same thread as the mast (I think its like 1/4"-32 or something), add some silicone to the threads and flange of it, screw it in then install the nut.

Then I always put a small piece of fuel tubing over the end of the mast between it and the antenna tube to seal off the hole. Then of course a rubber cap on the top of the tube.

antenna mount.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Scarpino makes the best antenna mount yet. Send him a message and get yourself a few, they actually screw into you radio box lid. It's like using a pressure tap to screw into your lid then the plastic antenna whip mounts into that. (something like that)

Same guy that makes the cool stands.

[email protected]

Robert

Guys, Thank you for the information. I can build a better box and know why. The help you receive from fellow boaters is amazing.The competition and friends are second to none! Thanks again Joey :D

Back