Another Loss to Our Boating Community- Harry harper

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor

Boaters,

I just received very sad calls from both David Ashmore and Jimmie Shaver. Harry Harper passed away early this am. I have posted a pic above of L-R, Jimmie Shaver, Harry Harper, Martin Tidwell, myself, and David Ashmore. I have known Harry for years as he was one of the founding members of the the Greenville Model Boaters in Greenville, SC. So many great memories of tunnel racing in the early to mid 90's there. What is even more heartbreaking, Harry and his wife drove to Charleston this past weekend to hang out with his old rc boating buddies. We all feel fortunate that we had a chance to laugh and say goodby one more time. When I gave him a hug by yesterday, he told me he would be pulling out his old Sport 40 and getting it ready for a race, and that he wanted all of us to get together again soon. I had no way of knowing that would be the last time we would see him here. Godspeed to you Harry Harper from all of your boating buddies. Get that Sport 40 ready to go and we all will see you again one day as God has promised us all.

Jimmie Shaver will fill us in on funeral arrangements when he has the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so sad to hear this morning. I remember Harry from back when I started racing and going to the races in Atlanta and Greenville, SC. He and Jimmie Shaver were always the guys to beat when it came to the outboard tunnels. I can't imagine where he put all of those trophies. What a nice guy. He always seemed pretty low key. I don't think I ever saw him upset or argue with anyone at the races. I do remember the trailer full of Crown Royal purple bags. I hope they stuff a couple of them in his pockets to take with him on this last journey. All of us that knew him will miss him for sure. Our prayers are with Harry and his family.

Dick Tyndall

I am shocked beyond belief, I was just talking with him on Saturday at the Fall Nationals. He seemed good and said he was feeling good too. He was a first class guy. Good lesson for us all, we can go in an instant.

I was very sad when I read this. Harry was a great guy and always laughing about something. He and I had some great times racing tunnels along with all the Greenville guys. He will be missed.

Harry came up to me this past Sat. gave me a big hug and told me how much he missed all his boating friends,we talked about old times,and he asked me how Tommy and Beth were doing and said what great people Tommy and his wife were. He also said he was going to call you soon ,the way things turned out he never got the chance. R.I.P Harry you will surely be missed..

Deepest condolences from the Atwells. This one hurts, can recall many ass whippings laid down on me in that old Crown Royal boat. Going to be sorely missed.

Expect a toast of Crown sent up to you my friend,

Mitch and Family

Latest posts

Back